California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Accident on 17

Old 01-03-2002, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me either!

I haven't been very active lately on S2Ki, but I can't help from sharing my story with you all.

It was around noon or so on New Year's day and I was headed south on 17 with my wife, best friend and his fiancee. We crossed the Summit and were headed down a bunch of turns and blind curves. We drove up upon a lot of confusion. There was a minivan directly in front of us who drove around the mess and went on their merry way. We realized that the accident had just happend seconds before we got there.

My best friend, being in med school and about to finish, immediately gets out to check on the victim(s). In order to brake safely I had to cross the center line by a hair. As he checked on the victim his fiancee call 911 and I put on my hazards and repositioned my red 2001 CRV while hearing screaching tires and people rear-ending one another. There were a million thoughts going through my mind, on in particular was the idea of a domino effect bumper to bumper sandwiching my friend between my car and the crashed vehicle.

SO I then proceeded to run up the side of the road (very little to NO shoulder at all) around the blind curve to get these people to slow down before we all became sardines. I continuously motioned for people to slow down and merge into the left lane. Yes this was a very dangerous thing to do as well as down right scary as cars slowed down franticly while the cars without ABS screached by, but I thought it was the best thing I could do to avoid further damage and injuries.

5 minutes later the CHP came down and I was relieved. They got on their PA and asked me to return to my vehicle. I followed their orders and returned to the accident and assisted in getting the crashed vehicle in one of the turnouts. Everything then returned to normal and we continued on our way to Santa Cruz.

THE POINT OF THE STORY - It's a good idea to have an emergency kit in your car. I bought one yesterday along with and some extra flares for the CRV . I'll probably just put a triangle in the S2000 along with a flare. These things would have helped out greatly that day on 17. It would of been a hell of a lot safer; that's for sure.

GO BUY SOME FLARES! Hopefully, you'll never have to use them.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I bought over a dozen flares! yep used them all too, but only two for my own use when I got a blowouyt in the s2000 and was parked on the side of 101. ALL the other flares went to other motorists who were clueless, unprepared, or in shock b/c of getting into an accident.

Don't expect me to come handing out flares when you get into a mess, listen to RSHILLING and go get an emergency kit, at least some flares. At $1.50 each, it cant hurt to have a few in the car.