California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

About to get a S2K

Old 08-08-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to get a S2K

Hey guys...I just signed up s2ki.com today and I thought I start being an active member. I have been reading the forums for quiet sometime. I am going to be buying probably a used S soon and I like some advices and comments before I do.

I use to own the 5th gen prelude and I was a very active member of www.bayareaprelude.com. Since selling it last year (which I regret), I want to get a car faster than the prelude and of course stick with Honda.

Anyhow, I like to know several things from current S owners. How much should I pay for a used S ...from 2000 to 2001. Plus, how much is "alot or a little" miles for a car that age.

Lastly, I am 25 years old, been driving for 9 years w/ no accidents or tickets. How much will it cost per month or year for insurance (and of course full coverage) and be driving no more than 500 miles per month. I think insurance companies do ask how many you drive, or if its daily driven, or if it is a leisure car??? Anyhow, any information will help include what insurance company to go to. I was paying about $130/month for my 97 Prelude.

Well hope to meet some of you local "bay area S drivers" soon once I get the car. I'm looking for white or silver.

...lastly, don't ask me how to pronounce my screenname or how I got it. Its the same screenname I have used w/ the prelude forum...so I just decided to keep it.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Welcome!

I used to own a 3rd Gen Prelude ('88 Si) and a 3rd Gen Integra ('96 GS-R) so I know where you are coming from.

I test drove an '01 S and it had a horrible rattling in the 3-4K RPM range at a downshift. Went on here and on several other sites to find that there were transmission issues with the two model years. Someone that goes to my church ended up buying it a day or two after I bought my '02. The dealership wanted $24K for it, but he was able to haggle down to $21K for it.

Insurance really matters on many other factors. For example, we have two other cars, and we have share a policy with our home, so we get plenty of discounts across the board. Shop Around!

-= joe =-
Old 08-08-2004, 09:11 PM

No idea on your questions, but welcome to the board. You'll love it here. See ya at the next meet.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:34 PM

Hey Joe,

I'm selling my bone stock '02 sebring silver S2000 - any interest? It is my daily commuter, so the mileage of 63k reflects that. PM me if interested... I'm in San Jose.

Btw, I'm also 25 years old, and my S2000 is insured through Mercury as my work/school car. Mileage is specified at 20k a year, but in reality, I probably drive a little over that. I paid just under $700 every 6 months when it was the only car on the policy. I have since added an additional car, which dropped my S2000 premium to $650 every 6 months. This is for $100k / $300k / $100k coverage with $500 collision deductible. I have zero points on my record. Hope that helps... Also, Wawanesa quoted me slightly cheaper rates.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cyber_x,Aug 10 2004, 01:34 PM
Hey Joe,

I'm selling my bone stock '02 sebring silver S2000 - any interest? It is my daily commuter, so the mileage of 63k reflects that. PM me if interested... I'm in San Jose.
I already have my '02 Sebring Silver, purchased back in May with 22K miles on it. Perhaps you were addressing AsianQing?

-= joe =-
Old 08-10-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by nVz2000,Aug 10 2004, 11:19 PM
I already have my '02 Sebring Silver, purchased back in May with 22K miles on it. Perhaps you were addressing AsianQing?

-= joe =-
Haha, thanks for correcting me - I was indeed addressing AsianQing. Sorry about that! The sucky part is, I also addressed AsianQing as "Joe" in my PM... ...AsianQing, sorry about that as well!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:43 PM

AsianQing.....consider a MY02-03. They have been refined.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Aug 8 2004, 02:47 PM
Hey guys...I just signed up s2ki.com today and I thought I start being an active member. I have been reading the forums for quiet sometime. I am going to be buying probably a used S soon and I like some advices and comments before I do.

I use to own the 5th gen prelude and I was a very active member of www.bayareaprelude.com. Since selling it last year (which I regret), I want to get a car faster than the prelude and of course stick with Honda.

Anyhow, I like to know several things from current S owners. How much should I pay for a used S ...from 2000 to 2001. Plus, how much is "alot or a little" miles for a car that age.

Lastly, I am 25 years old, been driving for 9 years w/ no accidents or tickets. How much will it cost per month or year for insurance (and of course full coverage) and be driving no more than 500 miles per month. I think insurance companies do ask how many you drive, or if its daily driven, or if it is a leisure car??? Anyhow, any information will help include what insurance company to go to. I was paying about $130/month for my 97 Prelude.

Well hope to meet some of you local "bay area S drivers" soon once I get the car. I'm looking for white or silver.

...lastly, don't ask me how to pronounce my screenname or how I got it. Its the same screenname I have used w/ the prelude forum...so I just decided to keep it.
if buying from private party i'd expect $19-$20K for a decent MY00 or MY01...mileage can be anywhere from 5000 mi if it's a weekend car (yes some people don't drive it at all) or as much as 100,000 mi...
insurance can be as low as $100/month if this is not a daily driver / commute car or as much as $300/month if you go with expensive insurance companies...based on the information that i have from your post...

so basically i haven't been much help, but if i were in the market for a used S2000, i'd get a MY02 from a private party with <= approx 20,000 mi for around $22-23K

Old 08-10-2004, 04:28 PM
gee

Originally Posted by cyber_x,Aug 10 2004, 03:27 PM
Haha, thanks for correcting me - I was indeed addressing AsianQing. Sorry about that! The sucky part is, I also addressed AsianQing as "Joe" in my PM... ...AsianQing, sorry about that as well!
You called me "Joe" in your PM to me, too...
Old 08-10-2004, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by gee,Aug 11 2004, 12:28 AM
You called me "Joe" in your PM to me, too...
Crap! I'm even more confused than I had thought...

gee, sorry for referring to you as "Joe" in my PM.

AsianQing, sorry for thinking I had PM'ed you, when I had actually PM'ed gee.

and finally, Joe, sorry for referring to everyone else by your name!

ok, I think that settles all my screw-ups for the day...

Quick Reply: About to get a S2K