California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

3 laps of Thunderhill

Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]I ran the R888s with 35/32 F/R starting temps, they gained about 2-3 lbs during the session (Big O was there at the track day doing free nitrogen purges, hence the very low pressure gains for such a hot day).
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those who may have noticed, yes I did inadvertently leave my AC on during this session. It was over 100F and I had it on in pre-grid, but forgot to turn it off when the session started. It was off in all my other sessions, just not this one, so I was only stupid for a little bit...
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W,Aug 14 2009, 01:23 PM
To those who may have noticed, yes I did inadvertently leave my AC on during this session. It was over 100F and I had it on in pre-grid, but forgot to turn it off when the session started. It was off in all my other sessions, just not this one, so I was only stupid for a little bit...
I'd call that smart :-)

I wish my car had AC on thoes really hod days.. the zip lock bags of ice just don't cut it...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Greg How was the event w/ Hooked on Driving? Im thinking of trying them myself..I just did Infineon w/ NASA and it was a joke..way to many cars.The track was like 580 at 8a.m. The last time I drove Thunderhill the heat was the same as you had..at the time I had a Porsche and the oil temp went out the window...
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluenote,Aug 14 2009, 04:45 PM
Greg How was the event w/ Hooked on Driving? Im thinking of trying them myself..I just did Infineon w/ NASA and it was a joke..way to many cars.The track was like 580 at 8a.m. The last time I drove Thunderhill the heat was the same as you had..at the time I had a Porsche and the oil temp went out the window...
omfg... I was at the last infineon nasa event. Im actually happy me lsd broke that day as I would have been pissed if I had to drive 4 sessions in rush hour traffic. That was a joke. I dont think I will ever run with them again. I have had great luck with ncrc. My settings were 2.0 front and 2.3 rear. Thats all my car could get ( according to firestone)
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you guys start bashing on NASA, how many other Infineon events have to be to with other groups? That group were you in?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 PM

bluenote, sorry for the delayed response, just got back into town from a business trip.

Hooked On Driving is a great group if you're looking for lots of track time (5-6 20-25 minute sessions) without the crowds, but at a cost premium of $100 or so (includes a really good buffet breakfast and lunch). They tend to cater to the 911s, M3s (E46/90), Lotuses (Loti?), 'Vette C5/6 Z06s, and the occasional Ferrari, Audi R8, GT-R, etc. Lots of folks hot-lapping their cars with no aspirations to club race, and hence give each other a wide berth. While participants typically drive higher-rent cars, I've never experienced any pretentious attitudes towards us "proletariate" in Hondas, even during a recent Ferrari Day at Thunderhill.

My experience with NASA (Infineon, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill) is that, while its a LOT more crowded and only 4 20 minute sessions, participants are generally looking to grow into club racing so are more competitive. You'll definately get experience driving in a crowd. There's also typically races during the day, so the paddock is much more interesting (more Motul fluids flowing at NASA, more Maguiars at HOD). The 911s are there to race; they're not hot-lapped garage queens. NASA instruction is excellent (even after being yelled at my first session at Laguna!), typically lead by experienced club racers. That and they're about $100 cheaper then NASA (but BYO lunch).

I did one TrackMasters event this year and they also offered 5 sesssion. Lots of open track, and a little more competitive race edge then HOD.

With my schedule, Im really just looking to run with anyone that has an open track day on a day I'm available.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Voodoo_S2k, I'm not a NASA hater. While they do have very crowded fields and only 4 20 minute sessions, they run a very deep program with HPDE, TT and wheel2wheel racing in one day. All with very reasonable prices and excellent instruction. They just need to put Mustangs in their own HPDE class at all tracks containing turns ;-)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Greg W,Aug 21 2009, 07:13 PM] Voodoo_S2k, I'm not a NASA hater.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Aug 21 2009, 08:39 PM
Comment wasn't meant for you Greg. You obviously understand the difference that each group offers and that some are better suited for different drivers.

I definitely enjoy driving with NASA, because of many of the reasons you stated. I also enjoy driving with other groups as well.

Agree about the Mustang comment. They are some of the worse offenders.
First time driving w/ NASA, first time on Thunderhill, first time w/ the S2K on track.

The good:
- Organization
- Safety
- Instruction (though I didn't have an instructor, the guys I met and rode with seemed knowledgeable and approachable).

The bad:
- Crowded run sessions
- Not really 20 minutes of wide open session; cool down lap eats into 3 min or so. Other orgs I've run w/ do 20 + cool down. Minor nitpick, but hey, it's 1 less lap per session.

Time wise, I think my best for the day was a 2:28 (stock S2K, race pads, worn OEM tires w/ 20k miles, 90 degree + temps, driver being a big pussy)

I'm guessing sub 2:15 is considered a 'decent' time for this car on quality street tires?

Quick Reply: 3 laps of Thunderhill