California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

2012 S2k Chrono Series by Nor Cal Racing Club (NCRC)

Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMisencik157
Super excited to do some of these. Aside from a roll bar is there anything else I need? Like specific lap timing equipment?
You won't need to provide anything out of the ordinary to run in the Chrono Series. A transponder is required but you can't rent one from NCRC.

If you are a track vet with experience (not sure based on your post) then stop reading now.

If you haven't been on track before I would advise you to contact NCRC (PM me for contact info) and see what they recommend as far as getting you in position to run in the Chrono series. The rules of Chrono allow for open passing while on track with some very fast drivers around you. There isn't a track organization out there that would put a novice in this situation. That being said, if there is anything we can do to help or any questions we can answer please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im no track vet, my 4th one ever was this past friday and my first time was exactly one year ago. However, Im not inexperienced either. Ive been racing motocross for the past 10 years and I would like to think Im doing a decent job applying what I know to 4 wheels. I see that NCRC wants 8 or more track days experience but I am wondering if there is a way to get signed off or something like that so I can compete or if I will just have to wait until I do 4 more trackdays.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Also, how much is a transponder and where do I buy one?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM

An AMB Transponder costs around $400. If you are going to buy one, get the kind that is hardwired into the car, so it doesn't need recharging ever. Most HPDE event organizers that have AMB timing systems will rent you a Transponder for $20 or $30. I think NCRC rents them.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ Mmisencik157: It's more about awareness than anything. On the flip side, I've never seen an organization who hasn't been willing to move up a driver that is clearly very capable of running with more experienced/faster cars.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
@ Mmisencik157: It's more about awareness than anything. On the flip side, I've never seen an organization who hasn't been willing to move up a driver that is clearly very capable of running with more experienced/faster cars.

I completely understand and respect that they have these rules. I wouldnt want people who may be dangerous to themselves or others driving on the same track. I guess Ill just try to meet with an instructor and see what they say.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM

yeeee!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Im no track vet, my 4th one ever was this past friday and my first time was exactly one year ago. However, Im not inexperienced either. Ive been racing motocross for the past 10 years and I would like to think Im doing a decent job applying what I know to 4 wheels. I see that NCRC wants 8 or more track days experience but I am wondering if there is a way to get signed off or something like that so I can compete or if I will just have to wait until I do 4 more trackdays.
no worries, i had the same ordeal. running my my 4th track event but 1st with these guys. i was bumped to solo, then my friend talked to them even though i didnt have enough track days under my belt and moved to open. only point by and open group can do chrono and i believe youll be fine in point by. if anything just have them ride with you and see for the first session
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 AM

If you have a talk with Dave or Luc @ NCRC I'm sure they can develop a plan to get you into S2k Chrono. The plan might be as simple as having someone ride with you to make sure you are safe and then sign you off. I don't anticipate it being that much of a big deal since you already have track experience w/ bikes and cars.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your experience counts. PM myself and we'll figure out your next day at the track and do a ride along in point by, it's fairly routine and as mentioned earlier, it was mostly about awareness.

Edwin was playing king of the hill by staying a class below the rest- that was set straight shortly after he mentioned it.

AR

Quick Reply: 2012 S2k Chrono Series by Nor Cal Racing Club (NCRC)