California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

2012 S2k Chrono Series by Nor Cal Racing Club (NCRC)

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 S2k Chrono Series by Nor Cal Racing Club (NCRC)

NCRC has released it's 2012 schedule including Chrono events.

Background:
Last year NCRC, with the help of some S2ki members, established a 1 make S2000 time attack series called S2k Chrono. This S2k Chrono series operates as a subset of NCRC's larger multi-make Chrono Series. Last year was the inaugural season for the Chrono series and an abbreviated 3 event season was run. 2012 will feature a much more robust schedule.

2012 Chrono Schedule:
1. Sat, Feb 11 - Thunderhill - Bypass Configuration
2. Sun, Apr 1 - Buttonwillow - CCW #1
3. Sun, Apr 8 - Thunderhill - Bypass
4. Fri, May 4 - Thunderhill - Bypass
5. Sun, Jul 1 - Thunderhill - Bypass
6. Sun, Aug 12 - Thunderhill - Bypass
7. Sun, Sep 16 - Buttonwillow - CCW #1
8. Fri, Sep 21 - Thunderhill - Bypass
Laguna Seca date(s) may still be added once LS doles out their 2012 dates.

Classes:
S2k Chrono Class Registry App - Class details found here.
1. Street - For stock to mildly modified S2ks
2. Street Modified - For moderately modified S2ks
3. Modified - For modified S2ks w/ Aero or F/I - 2011's fastest class
4. Unlimited - No limit to Mods

Some Important links:
Full 2012 NCRC Event Schedule - Includes Chrono Events in "Status" column
Chrono Series Home Page - General Info
S2k Chrono Class Registry App - Fun app! Enter your mod list and see what class you qualify for.
Chrono Standings Page - Currently shows last year's winners.

Broomstick Test:
All convertibles running with NCRC must pass the broomstick test. Basically, your head w/ helmet must be below the windshield and OEM roll hoops or aftermarket roll bar. NCRC is awesome enough to offer a program to "help pay for your safety equipment". This is usually accomplished with a lowered aftermarket seat or a rollbar. See this page for details. I've personally used this program and it's legit!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Reserved for future use.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM

Looks like a NorCal attempt at the SpeedVentures S2K Challenge, run mostly on the SoCal tracks (one Laguna event if we are lucky, no events at Infineon and T-hill, but I wish there was).

In the S2K Challenge, we typically get fields of 20 to 30+ cars. How many S2Ks at a Chrono event with NCRC?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 PM

You are correct, sir. This is an attempt to establish a time attack (Chrono) presence in NorCal. The S2k Chrono series is a smaller but important 1-make subset of that attempt. NorCal, up to this point, is a market that has gone largely unserviced when it comes to accessible, grassroots, time attack competition.

Last year's fledgling 3 event season drew 14 different S2k particpants. This was solid for what was essentially a dry run shakedown for getting the Chrono and S2k Chrono series started. Now that the shakedown is complete there will be more of an effort to promote and draw NorCal competitors looking for somewhere accessible to compete in our region.

Good times were had last year by all of us that participated and I'm optimistic that it will be bigger and better moving forward.

I'm very much looking forward to running a full season in 2012.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woohoooo! Discounted hotel rates for NCRC dates and a prize list will be provided in January for the 2012 season!

The graphics and class calculation will also be updated to reflect 2012 Happy Holidays!

[Thanks for putting this up and maintaining it ]
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I'd come to NorCal for a weekend event that includes an S2K Chrono competition. It's just too far for me to go for one day on the track. Are any of those dates part of an NCRC 2-day event?

And I'd like to see some events at Laguna and Infineon (my favorite track by far). I consider Buttonwillow a SoCal track, and the SV S2K Challege runs there about 3 times a year.

The 2011 S2K Challenge was:

Buttonwillow - 3 days
Auto Club Speedway Roval - 2 days
Streets of Willow - 2 days
Willow Springs (big track) - 1 day
Laguna Seca - 1 day
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - 1 day
Spring Mtn. - 1 day

I could see some crossover between the two series as well. SV usually gets at least one weekend at Infineon per year, but I couldn't convince the powers that be to make it an S2K Challenge because a lot of the SoCal guys wouldn't drive that distance.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Looks like a NorCal attempt at the SpeedVentures S2K Challenge, run mostly on the SoCal tracks (one Laguna event if we are lucky, no events at Infineon and T-hill, but I wish there was).

In the S2K Challenge, we typically get fields of 20 to 30+ cars. How many S2Ks at a Chrono event with NCRC?
It's actually a bit more than that. Chrono is wholly the idea of NCRC and the evolution of their existing Time Trial classifications (GTR, GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4) allowing all cars to compete around some simple guidelined rules loosely based around horsepower to weight ratio (IMO it's more fun and I haven't heard many bother arguing about rules because it's fairly simple, everyone is more worried about driving instead ).

The S2K Chrono rules, however, are based around modifications typical to the S and derived roughly from the concept of the S2KChallenge by us - the regular S2000 drivers with NCRC, and kind of off what Adam stated, to add some value to the track days specifically for the S2000 driver. We ran last year and had a lot of input from drivers for several months, tons of hours in programming in excel (9 revisions to count), and in the end the same point came through - the drivers were more interested in having fun running after guys that were just a bit quicker than them. These rules just allow them to roughly get categorized so they can do just that, have fun. It's oriented towards the enthusiast and the tuner, not the hard core racer saving ounces on the car to fit in a category. The average NCRC driver doesn't fit into the category of a hardcore racer.

Look forward to a kick ass run in 2012, I know my name won't be in the top line anymore by default- Martin and Edwin already have those two spots covered... or do they?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Sat April 7, Thunderhill
Sun April 8, Thunderhill

Sat June 30, Thunderhill
Sun July 1, Thunderhill

Sat August 11, Thunderhill
Sun August 12, Thunderhill

Sat September 15, Buttonwillow
Sun September 16, Buttonwillow

Laguna dates a comin- (Adam actually mentioned that already in the first post). Purpose of the 2 day is to make it easier to set up the car the first day and run your setup the next day. (Also for your significant other or ride-along to get on the track with you the first day since passengers are not allowed in the car during the Chrono runs).

Cheers.

I'd come to NorCal for a weekend event that includes an S2K Chrono competition. It's just too far for me to go for one day on the track. Are any of those dates part of an NCRC 2-day event?

And I'd like to see some events at Laguna and Infineon (my favorite track by far). I consider Buttonwillow a SoCal track, and the SV S2K Challege runs there about 3 times a year.

Buttonwillow - 3 days
Laguna Seca - 1 day
Spring Mtn. - 1 day

I could see some crossover between the two series as well. SV usually gets at least one weekend at Infineon per year, but I couldn't convince the powers that be to make it an S2K Challenge because a lot of the SoCal guys wouldn't drive that distance.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Buttonwillow - 3 days
Laguna Seca - 1 day
Spring Mtn. - 1 day

I hear you on the distance thing. The roval and SOW are usually out of bounds for all us NorCal guys too.

There are a handful of weekend dates where S2k Chrono is part of a NCRC 2-day weekend.
Apr 7/8 @ Thunderhill
Jun 30/Jul 1 @ Thunderhill
Aug 11/12 @ Thunderhill
I'll speculate if we get a Laguna Seca date (fingers crossed) that it will be 2 days too.

Hopefully we'll see you at an event or 2.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one that's thinking that this could lead to some norcal vs socal battles?

On that note, I'm in "modified" with my car as-is... scary.

Quick Reply: 2012 S2k Chrono Series by Nor Cal Racing Club (NCRC)