California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

2 Tickets Last Night

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Tickets Last Night

EDIT after post: It's kind of long, but bare with me for a good 5ish minutes while you slack off at your desk

So I was coming home from work late last night and I took my normal route home. I was thinking about taking the highway to hit VTEC and get some excitement before I end my day and start over, but I usually take local because the drive is much nicer and its not that far from my work. There was also no traffic considering this is like 12:45 PM at night. I take the back roads to my house like I always do to and from work and usually there's no cars there at this hour. As I'm driving with about 40 seconds away from my house I see two cars in the opposite lane from me stopped and as I got closer I realize they were cop cars parked next to each other talking. One of the cops shines his dumb F'ing lights into my eyes as I drive by. It's annoying, but its routine for them so I don't let it bother me. As soon as I pass him he and his Mr. Oooooofficer friend in the other car both bust a bitch and start following me. Now I knew I wasn't going to get pulled over for expired tags on my car because I stopped getting lazy and finally slap those bad boys on. As his head lights started to get closer to my ass, I started to slow down so I wouldn't get pulled over for speeding. I'm doing about 35 by the time he gets somewhat close to me. He backs off a little and keeps trailing me. At this point I prepared myself to get pulled over because I'm running a test pipe and I knew he was smelling my farts while driving behind me. Now I'm just waiting for those lights to flash, so I can pull over. I was just thinking maybe if I can just drive a little more without getting pulled over I can pull into my complex and he can't ticket me. I was hoping to death he wouldn't flash those lights before I got in my complex, but deep down I knew I was getting pulled over so the thoughts of quickly turning into a private parking lot and just shutting my car off quickly went away. Finally, those damn red and blue lights came on. All I could think about was, "damn... my F'ing house is RIGHT there...."

So... I do the whole shut my mofo car off..... roll my mofo windows down..... and get my mofo registration.... After he asks me if I have any mods under the hood. I could of (WHICH I SHOULD OF) said no, but I said I had a filter in. He said can you pop your hood for me. I automatically thought about this other post I read on here where the s2k driver said "Don't you need a warrant for that" and the cops said something like, "I can just impound your car and arrest you blahblahblah." I didn't want non of that so I just said, "Yeah." op: And I show him the filter. F'ing doesn't even look like a mod. My engine is ALL stock except that K&N filter. I was going to pick up a AEM Intake, but I decided not to, so it was kind of a good thing even though they're CARB legal. At this time I thought I would of gotten away because my car is all stock and my birthday is on the 27th of this month so I figured he would have cut me some slack. But like the title says, that's obviously not the case. So they tell me to sit down on the curb and I constantly look at my house which is less than 5 seconds away. I started to think of situations of what would happen if I just got up and ran. I'm sure I can out run them as I'm a born sprinter. Of course, I have no reason to, but at this point I am just F'ing bored, tired and just want to go home and in time for lights out. The longer I waited the more sure I knew I was going to get a ticket. Then randomly out of the blue he says to his partner, "That's a nice set up he has on his filter huh. I just think to myself "you're a dumb sperm." I don't hear his partner say anything in response. Then the cop says, "You were going pretty fast over there weren't you." I say, "Really, how fast was I going?" He response with, "I don't know I just say you pull that corner quick." And I don't respond and think to myself "you are really a dumb sperm." Another minute passes by and I ask the cop why he pulled me over, and he said I don't know I didn't pull you over. His other cop said, "You had no front license plate." Fair enough. I didn't have a front license plate, but I honestly don't think that's the reason why he pulled me over. It had to be because my car smelled. So I sit for another 3 minutes in silence and Mr. Oooooofficer here tells me to come over. He tickets me for no front license plate and air pollution. Got myself a trip to see the State Ref. I honestly wasn't shocked, but was pissed that this already happened so soon after putting on my test pipe. Cop was a nice asshole. It's about to be my birthday in a week cut me some slack on the front license plate or something.

I take the ticket and to cut things short he says, "Have a nice day." I said, "You too." I think sometimes cops try and get in your skin, but if you show them that you're not being bothered it'll bother them, so I stayed completely nice to these cops the entire time. I wasn't as pissed because I understood that what I was running was illegal they're just doing their job. I'm more pissed that I got a ticket shortly after putting on my test pipe. happens man, what can you do? A second later I look at the ticket more closely and saw the cop mark me down for going 25mph. You call that speeding? I think to myself... well, you probably know what I'm thinking to myself at this point.

So my question for those who have gotten a bumper to bumper inspection for "air pollution" or whatever by the State Ref, how does this go? I have a test pipe, HSK Hi-Power exhaust and a K&N filter. I don't plan on taking my filter off as I can just say its the stock one (it's just a mofo filter after all) and just removing my test pipe and slapping my cat back on. I don't need to remove my HKS do I? I don't even have a stock exhaust to slap back on because I traded it for the HKS. So I was wondering if I just put the cat back on would I be good? Also, how long is this process going to take? Just need some more info on the guys that this has happened to.

Now it's just going to take me longer to slam my car and all.... boo.... I should have taken the long way home like my gut said in the beginning!

At least I can relate to my signature a lot more!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 AM

stuff happens, if a cop can tell that you are an aggressive driver it just gives them more reason to pull you over. just go back to stock, its not that hard to change tp and cat back.
gl with state ref, and the fix it ticket
Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by theonlineguy,Feb 19 2009, 10:41 AM
stuff happens, if a cop can tell that you are an aggressive driver it just gives them more reason to pull you over. just go back to stock, its not that hard to change tp and cat back.
gl with state ref, and the fix it ticket
i could pass the bumper to bumper inspection with my cat, hks exhaust and a k&n filter right? the only thing that would cause the problem would be the tp right?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

test pipes are not worth the trouble in my opinion. got yourself into all that trouble over +1 HP and your smelling nasty stuff the whole time. i have a stock exhaust for u if u need it though
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by an_orange_s2k,Feb 19 2009, 10:58 AM
test pipes are not worth the trouble in my opinion. got yourself into all that trouble over +1 HP and your smelling nasty stuff the whole time. i have a stock exhaust for u if u need it though
hmm problem is i dont really have the tools to take off the exhaust and put on a stock exhaust and i dont feel like paying money to get it done then pay to put it back on. will i pass with my hks and cat?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM

damn me and jeff were just talking about my test pipe last night! Did the cop check under your car for the test pipe or you told him? I'm guessing these cops were sheriffs?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM

If the cop just wrote you for an emissions violation then you should be ok with the K&N in your stock air box, installing your stock cat, and keeping the HKS on. Basically they are forcing you to get a smog check.

If he got you for a sound violation as well then you can chance the sound check since they do not charge you for failing the Db test. They will just keep testing you until you pass with the right exhaust.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 'ES2k',Feb 19 2009, 11:51 AM
damn me and jeff were just talking about my test pipe last night! Did the cop check under your car for the test pipe or you told him? I'm guessing these cops were sheriffs?
nah he didnt check under my car. he assumed the smell was from my filter haha. i didnt tell him i was running a test pipe. this guy thought my car was a del sol even tho he had my registration right in front of him. they were san jose police not sheriffs.

im thinking about selling my berk test pipe if anyone is interested. just testing waters for now.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by GripAddict,Feb 19 2009, 12:52 PM
If the cop just wrote you for an emissions violation then you should be ok with the K&N in your stock air box, installing your stock cat, and keeping the HKS on. Basically they are forcing you to get a smog check.

If he got you for a sound violation as well then you can chance the sound check since they do not charge you for failing the Db test. They will just keep testing you until you pass with the right exhaust.
thanks for the info man. yeah they wrote me up for the emissions violation so i was thinking i would be coo with just slapping the cat back on without taking anything else off.

they didnt get me for sound violation because the hks is well.. a fairly quiet exhaust unless youre smashing it. which obviously i didnt around two cops.

i already set up an appointment for next week so i could get this thing out of the way.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Put your cat back on and the ref will pass you.

Quick Reply: 2 Tickets Last Night