California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

2 tickets in 1?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 tickets in 1?

LONG STORY SHORT....

I was speeding too fast for my own good. I got pulled over. I was cited for 2 violations: one for "speeding", the second for "unsafe lane change". I will admit to the speeding, but most definitely NOT the unsafe lane change.

Now my question to everyone is...

Should I fight for one ticket? Should I fight for both? Does it hurt to try and fight tickets? And finally, why on earth did my citation NOT give me the option for traffic school? (last ticket was 4 years ago)

thanks you guys...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 PM

Written by declaration first and then if they say no, fight it in person.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Given that you are not eligible for traffic school you might went 20mph over the speed limit and you have two violations at once.. Unsafe lane changes = swerving. Fighting a ticket is your word versus his so better study your case.. I have no e perien e fighting one violation and admitting the other but from my understanding you could do so. Good luck..

And just to make you feel better I got a 4 in 1 that costs 2gs.. Fml.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went 94 in a 55 zone, i was still eligable for traffic school. they just didn't deduct anything when i went to court.. on my birthday
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 AM

The only effective strategy will be to fight both tickets, not trying to get them combined.

Submit a written not guilty plea for both offenses(after getting as many extensions as possible), if you lose either one of those, then you can get a trial in person, for whichever case you lose, and ask for traffic school.

It is up to you, but I have read that it is better to not ask for traffic school on the trial by declaration, since they may just say, OK take traffic school and pay the fine. You can always get a re-trial in person, and ask for traffic school there.

It is also possible to take traffic school many more times than once in 18 months.

I have won 3 TBDs by default, lost 1, and one time got my fine cut in 1/2 and allowed to take traffic school.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:06 AM

You can get A LOT more info from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fight-Your-Ticket-Wi.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

There are many more strategies that can be used to beat a ticket.

I just got a "not guilty" letter on Saturday.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jan 19 2010, 07:06 AM
You can get A LOT more info from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fight-Your-Ticket-Wi.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

There are many more strategies that can be used to beat a ticket.

I just got a "not guilty" letter on Saturday.
I have that book sitting on my coffee table, I work with nolo press on a regular basis.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Keep in mind you also have the option to have them combined as well. I was written 3 tickets once for running 4 stop signs in a row, a stop light, and speeding by the same cop.

The judge reduced it to 1 ticket for speeding.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Jan 19 2010, 07:01 AM
The only effective strategy will be to fight both tickets, not trying to get them combined.

Submit a written not guilty plea for both offenses(after getting as many extensions as possible), if you lose either one of those, then you can get a trial in person, for whichever case you lose, and ask for traffic school.

It is up to you, but I have read that it is better to not ask for traffic school on the trial by declaration, since they may just say, OK take traffic school and pay the fine. You can always get a re-trial in person, and ask for traffic school there.

It is also possible to take traffic school many more times than once in 18 months.

I have won 3 TBDs by default, lost 1, and one time got my fine cut in 1/2 and allowed to take traffic school.
Assuming you were in my position, you would submit a TBD for BOTH offenses? I'm not real sure how I would argue against speeding 90mph. He never clocked me, rather saw me speed real fast and asked me how fast I thought I was going.

I thought that if I tried to fight both tickets, the judge would side with the CHP. Do I ask for an extension BEFORE I submit a TBD, or AFTER?

Sorry for the many questions. I am new at fighting tickets.

Also, if I were to ask to combine the 2 violations, would the judge reduce it to 1 ticket? And could I use traffic school for that 1 ticket?

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM

try this.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=672535

Quick Reply: 2 tickets in 1?