California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

1:05AM Mr. Dong Tran And Wantone Working The WAN Problem...

Old 01-07-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyber_x
I don't think it's the OS.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Fed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine the other computers are accessing the internet without a problem?
What about access to networked drives?What is the error message that pops up on IE?
Checked the DNS? Are you getting it from the DHCP?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Wow, that sucks. Sorry, I dunno why a power outage would lead to problems with the Internet. So it was working fine and dandy on that laptop prior to the outage, and then stopped working immediately afterwards?

Are you connected to the outside at all? i.e. Are you able to ping any outside servers?

Sorry, I don't have a clue what's happening. If all else fails, and that laptop can somehow make its way down to either San Jose or Fremont, though, I'm pretty sure myself and a friend can get it fixed for you, or at least figure out what the problem is.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:07 AM

Just a little clarification,

The problem does not lie with WAN settings. Ev has a desktop that is connected to one of the LAN ports and it accesses the internet just fine. If he connects the laptop to the router via LAN he connects fine as well, although we did have to change change the TCP/IP configuration on the laptop from static IP to DHCP prior, which leads me to believe one of his other TCP/IP connections had ICS enabled.

To narrow down the problem, Ev is having trouble accessing the router from his wifi card in his laptop. As it is, we're running no WEP, default SSID, default channel of 6, basically default everything. As SecretAP1 confirmed above, wifi support with linksys + win2k is very poor (at least they support LEAP now) but it should still work with the general settings....but it doesn't.

One thing I did notice on Ev's laptop is that he had a personal firewall running. After uninstallation, it still didn't work.

Any other ideas? I'm pretty much fresh out until I actually see and touch the device.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Ash

I know it might sound lame... but for doing tech sup for a while... you can't go wrong taking another 5 mins and checking all the cables and verifying them... even swapping them out to check for each cable's integrity
Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Ash
I know it might sound lame... but for doing tech sup for a while... you can't go wrong taking another 5 mins and checking all the cables and verifying them... even swapping them out to check for each cable's integrity
That doesn't sound lame at all. In fact that is the first thing I checked.

But the problem we are having is getting the wireless card to communicate with the router. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Is your MAC address for your wireless card being excluded? If so try to add your MAC address to the routing table
Old 01-07-2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by abzug
Is your MAC address for your wireless card being excluded? If so try to add your MAC address to the routing table
no
Old 01-07-2004, 11:52 AM

Hey guys,

I've had the same problem you're seeing. The wireless PCMCIA card on the laptop will associate with the access point OK, but IP packets does not seem to carry across it. Pings to the router (192.168.0.1) and DNS lookups fail.

It sometimes would work on a cold reboot, but most times it would fail.

I figured out it was Win 2000 + bad wireless card that was the problem. Replaced it with a Cisco 340 card and everything is smooth, even after sleep mode.

hth.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Yeah do you have another wireless card to test with?

Quick Reply: 1:05AM Mr. Dong Tran And Wantone Working The WAN Problem...