California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

@#%! someone hit my parked S!

Old 12-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi cyber, i just picked up my car about an hour ago: lemme break it down for you since you mentioned your quarter got hit. 2K is not far off, it'll probably be more. how bad was the quarter hit? have them check if the inner structure was damaged: there is another support structure under the quarter. the 2K might include a new quarter which is about 700-800$, and the bumper is 280. work for that job is going to be a beotch. the rear quarter is much more difficult than the front, because it is welded on. so they're going to have to take out the soft top, cut off the quarter. see if there is more damage (the inner structure is a weld job as well). trust me, that's why mine took so long. i hope it's not as bad as mine was... pm me if you have any questions or stuff you're not sure of. GOOD LUCK!
oh btw: make sure you have 100% full confidence in the body shop you are sending it too. the work is going to be really complicated if they are taking out the quarter
Old 12-16-2002, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the info racer chick. I'll have to call the body shop and ask them to check the inner support structure once they start working on the rear quarter panel. The guy that looked at the car didn't think the hit was bad enough to damage any underlying structures, so I've got my fingers crossed. Of course, the feeling I got was that they didn't really think there was anything important under the rear quarter panel, either...so I'm definitely checking with them again once they begin work on it.

And b0mbrman, I checked out my estimate, here's why it came out to $2k...the labor is a grip. I think it's somewhere around $1200 for labor alone.

Overall, it goes something like this. My rear quarter panel is all screwed, so I'm getting a brand new one, which costs around $700-$800 according to racer chick. My rear bumper actually wasn't damaged as bad as I originally thought - it's just scratched, not dented...so they're just going to repair and repaint it. That's probably a few hundred bucks. And the rest of the estimate is for labor. So, it adds up to just a tad over $2k.

Thanks for all the input guys.