California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

@#%! someone hit my parked S!

Old 12-13-2002, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @#%! someone hit my parked S!

I had it parked on the side of a residential street last night, and went somewhere in a friend's car. Came back a few hours later to find a series of bad dents and scrapes on the driver's side rear bumper area. Judging by the size and shape of the damage, it looks like someone either backed into it hard, or drove straight into it. WTF!

Even better, I just spoke with my insurance company, and they told me that since another car hit it, it falls under Collision rather than Comprehensive...meaning a much higher deductible. Is this correct? Man I'm so pissed...
Old 12-13-2002, 09:14 AM

sorry to hear about that. i have no idea what to tell you about your insurance, but someone hit my rear quarter panel about 3 months ago, when it was parked. you're pretty lucky though that it was just your bumper... the guy drove right into my car... i still don't have my car back. i feel your anger and pain. hope it works out ok with the insurance
Old 12-13-2002, 09:20 AM

Thanks racer chick...I remember reading about your S getting hit a while back. It was actually my rear quarter panel as well as rear bumper that got hit. The rear quarter panel got the worst of it, it's pretty ugly. I can't believe you don't have your car back yet - has it been in the shop the whole 3 months?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cyber_x, sorry to hear about what happened to your car. Sounds like it is a hit n' run accident. If so, that may fall under uninsured motorist coverage. Depending on your insurance co. and whether you have purchased the deductible waiver, it may affect your out-of-pocket. I would check with the insurance co. or with lawyers.

The racing instructors are right, people do drive towards what they are looking at!!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:38 AM

Sorry to hear about this cyber_x. The same thing happened to my brother's MR-2 a couple of years ago, it sucks.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:03 PM

Thanks guys...I just dropped off the car at the body shop. The estimate was around $2k. It was classified as Collision, so I'm paying the $500 deductible. It's pretty irritating, but hey, there's a lot worse things that can happen in life, so it's no biggie.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:30 PM

What damage was there besides replacing and painting the rear quarter panel and bumper?

$2k sounds pretty high
Old 12-13-2002, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure how it all added up to $2k. I was in a hurry to get back to work, so I didn't really look through the itemized estimate in very much detail.

What's interesting is that the rear bumper isn't even being replaced - they're just repairing the existing one since the damage isn't *too* bad. The rear quarter panel, however, is being replaced.

I didn't think $2k was that high for replacing the rear quarter, repairing the rear bumper, and painting / blending everything though. One of my previous cars had to get a front bumper and front quarter panel replaced, and that ran around $2k...and this was on a much cheaper and more common car.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:51 PM

Is this the dealership bodyshop?
Old 12-13-2002, 02:54 PM

Do you mean the bodyshop contracted by the dealer, or a bodyshop that's actually part of a dealership?

This is at Sturken Auto Body. They're contracted by my insurance company (Mercury) and I think also Larry Hopkins Honda.

Anything good or bad about them? It was the most convenient way to get things done, so that's why I went with them. I hate dealing with these kinds of headaches...

Quick Reply: @#%! someone hit my parked S!