Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mind boggling they let you guys race W2W with no cage or suit or any kind of safety

I dont think that first teg took the same line in any lap...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Mind boggling they let you guys race W2W with no cage or suit or any kind of safety

I dont think that first teg took the same line in any lap...
There is one rule basically. No passing if you can see the brake lights of the car in front of you, so you have to get a good run up along side a car to make a pass. Basically any open passing run group at a NorCal track day is more aggressive than this 5 lap battle was. Far from a proper w2w race.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotcha, that may be, but it is FAR from anything any insurance would allow a club to do here in the north east.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 PM

Here is my fastest lap of 13CW from Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LmVkLOQoo&hd=1

Nice and cool in the first two morning sessions. Way too hot in the afternoon to set any faster laps. You will notice that I lift massively after phil hill to let a friend by so lost a ton of time on this lap. Will be shooting for a 2'05 on my next visit to Buttonwillow. The car is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to drive here with the new suspension setup. On Saturday we ran 1CCW and I ran the dampers at 10 clicks, on Sunday I switched to my usual 8 clicks and the car felt much better this way. Buttonwillow is completely covered in nasty high speed bumps, and it gets worse each time I visit it seems. Adequate high speed rebound becomes very important, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good overall testing ground for dampers. Chunking and massive dips at every apex aren't really the norm at any other track. I honestly don't understand how it has become such a popular destination for time attack. The track is changing all the time, and the weather lap time variance is absolutely massive. It is an excellent layout and is always really fun but using it as a benchmark for a car is a total crap shoot. It is much more about how much seat time a driver has at the track and how much they have learned to properly use the awful track surface to their advantage. Very similar to touge driving, which I can do every weekend for free. When I take the time and money to visit a track I want to be able to put the car to the test, not so much myself.

It is still always a lot of fun. But I am almost certain Thunderhill West is going to to be a much better testing ground once it is completed and will be much better maintained and more consistent. I understand why people love it, it is the same reason I spend so much time in the mountains, but driving 3.5 hours to a track in the middle of nowhere with a terrible surface, no real elevation change, and hot weather is a hard sell when I can head to the mountains every weekend in 15 minutes and have just as much fun on much more interesting roads. All that said I am sure I will be back later this year.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to see some thoughts on the ASM bar. Some time back, I had kicked around the idea of purchasing one, but wasn't too sure how it would affect my driving. Good to see it does in fact work.

Oh, idea for brake ducts: One way, speed activated flapper valves. Set with a spring to open up at a certain mph based on wind resistance, normally closed.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Some great photos from Buttonwillow taken by Bill Wang.

Accidentally left my wheel caps on for my first session on Saturday, promptly removed them so they didn't get toasted and risk them flying off on the track, but man they look good.

Slidey, slidey...

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great pics! The bronze in sunlight looks oh so yummy.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by black_EM1
I'm glad to see some thoughts on the ASM bar. Some time back, I had kicked around the idea of purchasing one, but wasn't too sure how it would affect my driving. Good to see it does in fact work.

Oh, idea for brake ducts: One way, speed activated flapper valves. Set with a spring to open up at a certain mph based on wind resistance, normally closed.
That might work. I guess it is less of a speed issue and more of a temperature issue though. I will probably just stick to good old fashioned tape over the ducts when I need to bed-in some pads.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiz7Klu_Uo0&hd=1
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM

One of a kind (at the moment) APR pre-preg carbon fiber brake duct inlets! These things are beautifully made. Sized for a slightly larger stop tech rotor but should still work well on OEM sized rotors. The inlet does direct air onto the face of the rotor but it also directs a massive amount of air to the center of the rotor. Much more than any other inlets. These also still retain most of the appropriate balljoint shielding that the OEM dust shield provided.

Just need to finish working out a ducting solution for the R1 front bumper now. I think I am going to wait to go to the body shop until have a ducting solution made, I think.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II