Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A big congratulations to you. Such a long way but I am sure it was worth it at the end, it looks great!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Andrew, also build thread. Are you still using the Project Mu HC+800's? What do you think of them. I currently run EBC Yellow Stuff and have long thought about trying out Project Mu's. I mostly do mountain driving (a few times with you and TougeHorseman) and the occasional track day.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ebchu
Hey Andrew, also build thread. Are you still using the Project Mu HC+800's? What do you think of them. I currently run EBC Yellow Stuff and have long thought about trying out Project Mu's. I mostly do mountain driving (a few times with you and TougeHorseman) and the occasional track day.
Yeah I still have a set of HC+800s. I have mainly been using the Club Racer since I switched to them mainly because I am too lazy to swap pads around (I don't have a good jack at my place yet) but ideally I would switch back to them for the street. They are very similar to the bite and feel of the Club Racer, but not quite as extreme, and they do put out a little more dust than the Club Racer but the price is excellent for the pad. I am thinking about trying the Endless MXRS for the street but they are much more expensive.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM

how much more dust do you say hc800 put out versus OEM? my yellows definitely put out a little bit more dust than oem but i'm ok with that.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ebchu
how much more dust do you say hc800 put out versus OEM? my yellows definitely put out a little bit more dust than oem but i'm ok with that.
The stock AP2 pads put out just as much dust as the HC+800 for my usage but it seems like the AP1 pads put out much less dust. Depending on price I would also look at trying some Winmax pads that Gotuning recently made available as well. I think I might be trying out a set of the w4 for the street but it looks like this might be another good option with a price similar to Project µ. The winmax w3 looks like it should be comparable to the HC+800.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...#entry22925209
Old 01-03-2014, 02:12 PM

How is the brake squeal on the HC+800s for street driving? My OEMs and Yellowstuff were basically silent with proper bedding.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll let you know tomorrow. First long drive in the car since installing the hc+800 so I'll get a good feel for how they do.

When properly bed in a lot of these types of pads won't make nearly as much noise as people talk them up to.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM

They won't make any noise at all with a good transfer layer, but it will have to be maintained from time to time if you do a lot of normal street driving. I can definitely go longer on the HC+800 with no noise compared to the Club Racer, but both are perfectly fine when used properly. The key is to find a place where you can do a nice and consistent bed-in procedure. I usually do stops from 70-75mph down to 5-10mph, usually 8 of these in a cycle. Letting the brakes cool down while cruising for 15-20 minutes or so. With new pads it might take 2 cycles or so to develop a solid transfer layer depending on the ambient temp. You will get some funky smells from the paint burning off initially with new pads, they may even spit out some sparks. You can actually tell when the transfer layer is gone just by brake feel especially with track pads, and it is pretty easy to tell just by looking at the rotors.

If squeak is a concern and you mainly drive the car on the street normally I wouldn't recommend slotted rotors as the transfer layer gets eaten away a bit faster.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have slotted rotors but havent isntalled them yet. i personally hate the brake squeaking sound. hope it isnt too bad. im planning on using ap1 pads though

and when are you putting your volks on? looking forward to it
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sn0wman
i have slotted rotors but havent isntalled them yet. i personally hate the brake squeaking sound. hope it isnt too bad. im planning on using ap1 pads though

and when are you putting your volks on? looking forward to it
I doubt you will have any issues at all with the AP1 pads or other similar pads. Suspension bits and Volks should be going on this month. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II