Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark 2?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by juntsky
just curious why you chose J's camber joints of something like SPC?
The J's is a much better solution in my opinion. It is a fixed unit unlike the SPC which has moving parts that could shift, it shifts the lower mounting point which also allows it to correct the roll center. The corrected roll center also allows for a bit more suspension travel. Not such a major issue in the front but still beneficial none the less. Also the J's part is lighter than OEM while SPC is heavier. Here is a good thread on the differences: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/852...-js-racing-s1/

As for the rears J's, Spoon, and Buddy Club I believe are the only companies that offer a rear RCA solution and all seem like good options.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah. That's fair. I hadnt looked into it that much. If you're tracking your car it makes sense. I was mainly curious as the Js are significantly more expensive than SPC and I personally havent had any problems with my spc kit on all four corners.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Big thanks to Jei and the guys at BlackTrax for getting my front calipers swapped out yesterday. There was an issue with the right front piston sticking so I ended up replacing both front calipers. All ready to have some fun at Buttonwillow tomorrow!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whose calipers DONT stick??
Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 PM

I picked up a Craftsman 1/2" impact wrench awhile back, and discovered that they also make a cordless air compressor that uses the same batteries. I still need to get a decent lightweight jack so it is a bit easier to do quick maintenance stuff at home if I want to. I usually go to a friends shop with a lift and full set of tools but this should be helpful at the track. I had no idea you could get a cordless compressor like this one though, should be very useful!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How'd you do at Buttonwillow Andrew?

And question - did the Ohlins come with bottom bolts or did you have to source hardware elsewhere? I need to get them installed and the car ready to go by Saturday and want everything done as soon as physically possible!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1

And question - did the Ohlins come with bottom bolts or did you have to source hardware elsewhere? I need to get them installed and the car ready to go by Saturday and want everything done as soon as physically possible!
Buttonwillow was a blast! Great circuit even with all the crazy bumps. My very first session the rain started coming down and wow is that track unbelievably slipper when raining. I didn't get a lot of clean laps due to quite a bit of traffic but I was able to do 2'08.0s each session that was dry. Each one I was losing out somewhere different, and I was seeing 2'06s on my lap timer if I would have been able to string my best sectors together. I definitely understand why people say it is a good test of dampers though. With stock suspension many of the sequences of bumps really make the car move around in an unpredictable way. I didn't have any major incidents all day but in my final session I had a nice mis-shift out of riverside trying to shift after hitting a bump and ended up in the dirt. I knew I was going to get blasted with dust but I had to keep the car under control and got a nice blast of dirt in my eyes. I definitely look forward to really learning the circuit after getting some more laps under my belt. It was super fun though, most of my friends were able to set some nice PBs.

The Ohlins do not come with bottom bolts but do come with nuts for the bottom bolt. So you can just pick up some OEM bolts or reuse the ones on the car.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1385822731' post='22901140

Buttonwillow was a blast! Great circuit even with all the crazy bumps. My very first session the rain started coming down and wow is that track unbelievably slipper when raining. I didn't get a lot of clean laps due to quite a bit of traffic but I was able to do 2'08.0s each session that was dry. Each one I was losing out somewhere different, and I was seeing 2'06s on my lap timer if I would have been able to string my best sectors together. I definitely understand why people say it is a good test of dampers though. With stock suspension many of the sequences of bumps really make the car move around in an unpredictable way. I didn't have any major incidents all day but in my final session I had a nice mis-shift out of riverside trying to shift after hitting a bump and ended up in the dirt. I knew I was going to get blasted with dust but I had to keep the car under control and got a nice blast of dirt in my eyes. I definitely look forward to really learning the circuit after getting some more laps under my belt. It was super fun though, most of my friends were able to set some nice PBs.

The Ohlins do not come with bottom bolts but do come with nuts for the bottom bolt. So you can just pick up some OEM bolts or reuse the ones on the car.
Awesome! Good to know!

And good job on your times. I saw Matt and a few others did well in this good weather. Driving in the summer and poor heat all year should be a thing of the past for everyone visiting this month and next. I'm considering getting new tires but will likely go on my last day ZII. Will be a good chance to see if the Ohlins are hype or not too! (Assuming I can get them in, installed and aligned by Saturday )
Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Had an excellent today at Thunderhill Raceway! This was my 4th time there and I destroyed my last personal best and managed a 2'06.4 (2'06.415 on the transponder, 2'06.327 on my lap timer). Basically 1 second faster than my previous time at Thunderhill. I actually only made it for the 4 afternoon sessions today but the weather was perfect and the final session of the day the track was nice and cool and the car was excellent. My current set of RE-11As were well past the wear bars but time and time again they have proven that they grip until there is no rubber left. I was consistently doing 2'06's and saw 2'06.0 on my lap timer with all my quickest sectors combined. Great way to end the day for sure.

Like an idiot I left the little lens cap on my GoPro all day long so I don't have video of my fastest lap. I do have the data log though from my lap timer. No biggie though, I just wanted a really good benchmark for the close to stock car and now I've got one. More disappointed that I didn't catch a couple of the glorious 4 wheel drifts that went down. I will definitely be shooting for 2'03s-2'04s for part II of my cars life, which will still be on 225/255 tires. I switched to using close to 0 rear toe-in now and I think it is a good match for the staggered setup.

I was really thinking 2'08 would be a good time for my car so definitely glad I was able to make it to Thunderhill this one last time before the year ended and set a really solid benchmark. Mark II/Stage II will begin soon, now hopefully I can make the car faster not slower.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II