Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Updated my alignment with a tiny bit more camber up front.

Camber: F= -1.6 R= -2.0
Caster: 6.5
Rear Total Toe-in: 0.12in (1/8th) I think I will try 0.06in (1/16th) next time depending on how I like the current setup and see if I can get a bit more camber up front.

New alignment impressions:

f@#king mega. My last alignment was not exactly precise, because I had to take it to a shop I don't usually go to, and they didn't dial everything in exactly to my specs. I ended up with a bit more rear camber than I wanted so I was getting a bit of understeer in low speed corners. Decreasing rear toe-in with a bit more negative camber up front and more caster has made a significant difference in the way the car performs at lower speeds! Much easier to rotate the car now but still very stable. I can definitely see why all the auto-x guys max out their caster now. I am not maxed out, but for me this is a perfect balance of turn in grip, steering weight, and stability.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

If you like -1.6, wait until you get up into the -3's!!!!

Been wanting to post in here, great build. I love your methodical and calculated approach to the car, driving, and modding. Reading your posts remind me very much of the way I have been going about my builds for the last couple of years. It is refreshing to see
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k

Been wanting to post in here, great build. I love your methodical and calculated approach to the car, driving, and modding. Reading your posts remind me very much of the way I have been going about my builds for the last couple of years. It is refreshing to see
Thanks! Yeah I am pretty excited to see what the car will be able to do with stiffer spring rates, dampers, and even more camber. My plan is to really find the maximum I can get out of the car with a staggered setup before moving on to square. I am guessing higher camber up front will work wonders for the staggered setup.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1383231690' post='22855402

Thanks! Yeah I am pretty excited to see what the car will be able to do with stiffer spring rates, dampers, and even more camber. My plan is to really find the maximum I can get out of the car with a staggered setup before moving on to square. I am guessing higher camber up front will work wonders for the staggered setup.
It is funny that I am basically going the opposite direction. I kept suspension pretty much stock, maximized my driving to some extent on that setup, then moved to non-staggered and more grip all while keeping basically a stock suspension (just adding more tire, wider wheels, more camber). Once I acclimate and get to a certain point with this setup, then I will move to a stiffer/adjustable suspension.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
It is funny that I am basically going the opposite direction. I kept suspension pretty much stock, maximized my driving to some extent on that setup, then moved to non-staggered and more grip all while keeping basically a stock suspension (just adding more tire, wider wheels, more camber). Once I acclimate and get to a certain point with this setup, then I will move to a stiffer/adjustable suspension.
Yeah I have been lucky enough to be able to drive multiple S2000s on roads I am very familiar with with CR suspension setups. Really I could have fun with the S2000 for 10 years without changing a thing with the car as is. But I have been such an S2ki junky for the past 10 years that I have developed a very clear idea of what I want my car to be, so it will be a blast to see that become a reality.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You still need to drive my car to get a feel for that aero. I know that's probably late on your list of improvements but you gotta catch the aero bug on a road you are familiar with.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:51 PM

Alpine CDE-HD149BT:

I was stuck in traffic today on my way home from work and was going by the car stereo shop that helped me fix my stereo issues when I first bought the car. So I stopped by and checked out the Alpine CDE-HD149BT that I have had my eyes on for a little while since it has amber lighting that matches the S2000 much better than my current all blue Alpine CDE-117. 30 minutes after I arrived at the shop I was back in my car playing around with my new stereo.

Definitely a step up all around from my old head unit. Same great sound, easy to tune (even easier with the iOS app), better quality buttons, display, volume knob, and most importantly I can make it amber. I didn't bother with the bluetooth microphone it comes with as I don't like unnecessary things in my car, but audio over bluetooth works great with the iPhone and is very quick to load and responsive. I wish I could just by a really simple version of this head unit that has the exact same display and features, but gets rid of the CD player, radio tuner, and what not. I only need to be able to listen to things through my phone. Maybe after the warranty is up I will see if I can take it back into the shop and have them gut it.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

There are little amp boxes that we use in the Miata. Takes an aux in put and connects to the speakers directly. Very simple, just an amp instead of a head unit.

Have to ask though, now you have bluetooth, and want to get rid of the other features, why does the color matter when the door will always be closed??
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
There are little amp boxes that we use in the Miata. Takes an aux in put and connects to the speakers directly. Very simple, just an amp instead of a head unit.

Have to ask though, now you have bluetooth, and want to get rid of the other features, why does the color matter when the door will always be closed??
Good question. Hahaha.

Well even just using USB I could keep the door closed since my USB cable is wired into the cup holder compartment. Which works really well by the way because the little cup holder peg has little slots that are perfect for keeping a phone sync cable wound into place. I honestly didn't think I would use the bluetooth setup since I like to be charging my phone as well but it definitely is nice to have both options now.

I find myself often using both the left hand stereo controls and the head unit controls for some reason. And as far as the color is concerned, I just really hate blue LEDs. Every time I did have the radio door down I would think to myself, "blue LEDS, I hate you more than you know". Sometimes I am very illogical when it comes to these things. But I guess my argument will be that now that my stereo matches the rest of my car, I can finally be at peace and drive even faster? Yeah that sounds fine.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hahaha good answer!!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II