Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 06-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm interested to see how the difference in weight feels to you now. Very nice, Andrew
Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You've now added another car project for me to do on the weekend. I've been wanting to pull it but after reading the FSM and write ups online, I've been putting it off just for the amount of work involved. I'll be interested to hear how you like the weight savings.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tama05
You've now added another car project for me to do on the weekend. I've been wanting to pull it but after reading the FSM and write ups online, I've been putting it off just for the amount of work involved. I'll be interested to hear how you like the weight savings.
I probably never would have done it if it wasn't for Mike haha. So far I noticed a small increase in sound from the back of the car, but nothing too dramatic. I hope to have time to swap back on my intake and test pipe tomorrow and reflash back to the tune I had before so I can compare it with all those parts back on.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Did i read correctly, that once the softtop was removed you were able to add bolts instead of buying the CR brackets or cutting off the softtop bracket to mount the rear catchers?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Superb build up thread - still on page 16 .
Old 06-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Did i read correctly, that once the softtop was removed you were able to add bolts instead of buying the CR brackets or cutting off the softtop bracket to mount the rear catchers?
Yes. I just got that once blurry ass photo of it installed unfortunately so here is another one I found of the catcher mounting point to help explain:

The front two bolts still mount up as normal to the chassis, the rear bolts on the catcher would normally go through that small support bracket (grey) and into the soft top bracket (black) behind it. That black bracket gets removed along with the soft top, so those back bolts are just re-used but attached to the grey bracket instead using nuts on the back rather than the welded in nuts on the stronger black bracket. Not quite as sturdy as mounting to that black bracket, but extremely well mounted. To my hand there isn't any flex at all. I think just using the two front bolts is fine and will be plenty strong but might as well use those other two if possible to help triangulate it a little bit. Washers were used on the front two bolts to space it out appropriately.

In my photo you can see that all the bolts are mounted through the catcher:

Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Superb build up thread - still on page 16 .
Thanks! I always feel bad for anyone reading through all of this. I have changed my mind and opinion on so many things as I have learned more. So if you read something don't be surprised if I have completely changed my mind on it by the end of the thread.

Speaking of. Not going to be trying out the 12mm J's rca plate. Going to try the 4mm plates they make, and have some 6mm and 8mm plates as well to try. 12mm seems like too much.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

When you get the other RCA plates made, specifically the 8mm ones let me know estimated cost. The Js seem overpriced for what they are. Should be really easy and relatively cheap to have something very generic made.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
When you get the other RCA plates made, specifically the 8mm ones let me know estimated cost. The Js seem overpriced for what they are. Should be really easy and relatively cheap to have something very generic made.
Yep will do.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:17 PM

Passed smog no problem. 2 years of fun time granted.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II