Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad that you choose the bronze, the other colors just didnt do it for me .

Have you thought about trying out the new maxxis 200tw tire? At 165 bucks and free shipping seems to be a great value for being as fast as rs3 and dunlop z2* but not as fast as Re71 and Rival S but should last much longer
Old 05-27-2016, 04:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Beautiful wheels, Andrew. I can't believe how hard it was for you to get the +47 CE made, and then just have the +47 ZE offered from the outset. I guess you did the whole community a favor there.

Have you considered the Maxxis VR-1? The RE-71R is a fantastic tire, but they wear out rather quickly and heat cycle out quickly as well. The VR-1 is more akin to the RS3 or AD08R in that it heat cycles out considerably more evenly and over a longer period of time, compared to the RE71R.

Edit: Didn't even see this posted right above me, LOL. What he said....

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer

Have you thought about trying out the new maxxis 200tw tire? At 165 bucks and free shipping seems to be a great value for being as fast as rs3 and dunlop z2* but not as fast as Re71 and Rival S but should last much longer
Old 05-27-2016, 04:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

New ZE40s look great Andrew! I'm surprised in the weight difference between them and the CE's. Should look great mounted and I think you made the right choice with bronze. Not sure how you do it or what program you use, but I'm really impressed with the photo/gif editing skills.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Resan
F*ck the ZE40's look so good in bronze! I like the amount of concavity on them. Not too much and not to flat. Just right for the S2000. The comparison with the CE's is also really cool to see.
Agreed

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer

Yeah the bronze is just too nice. I really like pretty much all of the anodized finishes Ray's does though, they should do even more colors for the ZE40 like Ti Silver and anodized gunmetal and all that good stuff.

I don't believe anything anyone tells me about tires except for like 3-4 people. Definitely cool that Maxxis is making a well priced 200tw tire, but the RE71R is less than $20 more per tire (I don't pay shipping costs for any tires) and I have no reason to believe the Maxxis would be the better tire. I am not really out for the best bang for my buck I just want the most bang within the guidelines I am building the car. I have more luck just blindly driving right through the buck rather than trying to avoid it.

I would be more interested in trying something like the Trofeo R I think than the Maxxis.

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Beautiful wheels, Andrew. I can't believe how hard it was for you to get the +47 CE made, and then just have the +47 ZE offered from the outset. I guess you did the whole community a favor there.

Have you considered the Maxxis VR-1? The RE-71R is a fantastic tire, but they wear out rather quickly and heat cycle out quickly as well. The VR-1 is more akin to the RS3 or AD08R in that it heat cycles out considerably more evenly and over a longer period of time, compared to the RE71R.
Yeah I am definitely glad I ordered those Weds, since that is what lead to all these wheels being made. I had tried to ask Mackin and many different venders to try to get the +47 made and Eddie is the one that put in the proper effort to make it happen. Tons of interest in the +47 luckily so I think it was easy for Eddie to convince Rays to make ZE40s as well, and probably to make those 9.5 +50 as well.

Again on the Maxxis I would rather just spend the money on something exotic and silly like the Trofeo R. Really I am sort of hoping the AD08Rs get cheaper again or Advan comes out with something new to try to match the RE71R that I could compare. The current price of the AD08R is just silly on tire rack but I really would like to compare them directly to the RE71R, I will have to see what sort of price I can get. If the Trofeo R is available in an appropriate size and is cheaper than the AD08R I will probably just try that. I am curious if the Pirelli street legal track tire is at the same level or above and beyond what Bridgestone offers.

Originally Posted by tama05
New ZE40s look great Andrew! I'm surprised in the weight difference between them and the CE's. Should look great mounted and I think you made the right choice with bronze. Not sure how you do it or what program you use, but I'm really impressed with the photo/gif editing skills.
Yeah again I think the weight difference just comes from the mounting holes and mounting area of the CEs. Photos are just edited in Aperture (Apple's app that Lightroom sort of copied) and Photoshop to mask out the ZE40 and put it in place, and then just a matter of bringing the two images into any editing/animation program (I used After Effects) to make my little gif.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Jesus man that seems like a lot of work to me, but it's cool how easy it seems you're able to make it. I'm also interested to hear about your sway bar settings as I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to sway bars. I want a set that's close to factory specs but maybe a little stiffer on max settings, but also close to oem on soft settings. Have you played around with different front and rear setups to see what fits you the best? Or, are you running what you felt was a perfect combo for all types of driving that you do?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Jesus man that seems like a lot of work to me, but it's cool how easy it seems you're able to make it. I'm also interested to hear about your sway bar settings as I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to sway bars. I want a set that's close to factory specs but maybe a little stiffer on max settings, but also close to oem on soft settings. Have you played around with different front and rear setups to see what fits you the best? Or, are you running what you felt was a perfect combo for all types of driving that you do?
Nah it's easy. I do vfx/animation stuff for a living so every little project becomes a bit of a production.

I feel like the front on full stiff generally works well, because it makes the front of the car nice and responsive at lower speeds. On a less grippy surface or on track in the rain I would probably drop the front down to the middle setting.

The rear bar overall is lightly biased towards oversteer with my setup, with the softest setting being pretty dead on neutral for my driving style, so that is probably my standard setup. On this setup the front is 118.5% stiffer and the rear 104.5% stiffer than my OEM bars. On the middle setting the car rotates very easily and may actually be a tiny bit more neutral through corner entry and exit. So that might be the setup I tend to use most often, but have been testing with it on soft in the rear at the moment. On the middle setting the rear is at 119.4% stiffer than OEM. I haven't tried the stiffest setting in the rear yet (138.2% stiffer) but the ability to use that if I do rear aero stuff is definitely useful.

Also this gives me room to adjust once I move to the OS Giken 1.5way LSD. Actually the rear adjustment will probably be more useful for this than it would be for aero, since the sway bars and LSD will play a larger roll at lower speeds.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 PM

Great information on the settings Andrew. I didn't realize that the setting on the rear was that much greater than the soft but I understand where you're coming from. Obviously with a rear spoiler setup accompanied with a diffuser would make you want to push a stiffer setting on the sway bars to really test the improvement on the extra aero. I'm excited to see what you end up putting on the car first and what upgrades finally make you change up the settings to help maximize the potential from the adjustable rear sway bar whether it be aero or the lsd upgrade. I find your methods very well researched and I myself try to take the same approach when upgrading or changing setups to really tell a difference in the driving performance of your car. Excellent information again and definitely let me know how you plan on attacking this.

Any updated on the baffled pan install, I just realized I haven't heard anything about it since you got the part. Are you going to install it with the throttle body and header?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 AM

Great information on the settings Andrew. I didn't realize that the setting on the rear was that much greater than the soft but I understand where you're coming from. Obviously with a rear spoiler setup accompanied with a diffuser would make you want to push a stiffer setting on the sway bars to really test the improvement on the extra aero. I'm excited to see what you end up putting on the car first and what upgrades finally make you change up the settings to help maximize the potential from the adjustable rear sway bar whether it be aero or the lsd upgrade. I find your methods very well researched and I myself try to take the same approach when upgrading or changing setups to really tell a difference in the driving performance of your car. Excellent information again and definitely let me know how you plan on attacking this.

Any updated on the baffled pan install, I just realized I haven't heard anything about it since you got the part. Are you going to install it with the throttle body and header?
The LSD will definitely be the next addition before any aero bits. Having another diff freshly rebuilt up along with the OS Giken so I will be able to get it and swap it in without too much down time. Luckily was able to work with my friend to organize this to make the LSD install as easy as possible as well as getting a nicely upgraded diff and also a higher capacity cover.

Oil pan should be installed soon. Need to do swap on cat and stock intake and do smog, swap test pipe and intake back on, install throttle body, then I am going to drop the car off for rear hub/bearings, oil pan, and header install. Very experienced local in the bay area will be coming by my place to do soft top removal. I will test fit and install the ASM rear bumper an JDM bumper support/license plate bracket. And after that it will be headed to BlackTrax for an updated FlashPro tune, as well as Ikeya Formula upper arm install and alignment and corner balance. AND then I need to bring in the the car to paint with rear bumper and Spoon mirrors. Lot's of stuff to do but I should have some windows of time to get it all done. For paint I can probably just drop the parts off without needing to leave the car as the install of both is really easy. After all that happens I can worry about getting the new diff done and installed.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Ohlins Super DFV + CE28N Unicorn Spec installed

Decided to finally swap over to the CE28Ns and RE71R after a very long run on the Weds and AD08R. Much more selective time out in the mountains and on track allowed me to get a lot of life out them. The left rear has a little tiny nail puncture right in the center tread block so decided it was a good sign to finally switch over. But I can finally start getting into testing out the RE71R and new dampers. I really f@#king love the gunmetal Weds, but man there is just something about the bronze that does it for me.

The car is about 5mm lower than it has been in the past and when I last showed it with these CEs on so now if anything they fit even better to my eye. The Ikeya Arms will give me the very fine control I want to adjust how the wheel sits as well as play around with the arm length to see how it changes the camber gain under compression to see if there are any benefits with slightly shorter upper arms. I may eventually pick up the rear upper arms as well for the fine tuning ability back there too.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:54 AM

Looks great and sounds like you'll be busy for a good bit. I like the Weds on your car, but I have a soft spot for bronze CE's. Next few updates should be awesome!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II