Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you notice any difference between the 255 on on the 9in Weds and the 255 on the 9.5in CEs? I always assumed something like that would be pretty negligible.

Header is gorgeous
Old 05-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by canakami
Just watched your new vid.

Not sure if it's been a while or if it's the new mic, but the car sounds nuts. Reminds me of the old touring cars.

Soundtrack on point, as always
New exhaust and test pipe (EVS 70mm and Toda) as well as new mics. I have two Audio-Technica PRO35 mics mounted in the car now. One up in the passenger footwell cargo net area and another mounted in the trunk of the car which picks up the exhaust well. This mixed with GoPro 4 Black audio and I get a very good representation of how the car sounds to me. Took a lot of testing and trial and error to figure out. The Hero 4 black is WAY better than my older Hero3 in every way I must say. At night the Hero3 colors were pretty inaccurate and took a lot of color correction to get something I was happy with. Now with the Hero4 the footage looks good color wise right out of the camera. I also picked up one of those little foam covers that GoPro sells to put on the camera so that makes the GoPro sound actually useful with the windows down.

Originally Posted by Frida83
Do you notice any difference between the 255 on on the 9in Weds and the 255 on the 9.5in CEs? I always assumed something like that would be pretty negligible.

Header is gorgeous
I would have to drive with the same tire on the different wheels to compare. The current AD08Rs on the Weds are almost done so maybe I will get some RE71Rs for them so I can compare.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by canakami' timestamp='1463623239' post='23970762

Not sure if it's been a while or if it's the new mic, but the car sounds nuts. Reminds me of the old touring cars.

New exhaust and test pipe (EVS 70mm and Toda) as well as new mics. I have two Audio-Technica PRO35 mics mounted in the car now. One up in the passenger footwell cargo net area and another mounted in the trunk of the car which picks up the exhaust well. This mixed with GoPro 4 Black audio and I get a very good representation of how the car sounds to me. Took a lot of testing and trial and error to figure out. The Hero 4 black is WAY better than my older Hero3 in every way I must say. At night the Hero3 colors were pretty inaccurate and took a lot of color correction to get something I was happy with. Now with the Hero4 the footage looks good color wise right out of the camera. I also picked up one of those little foam covers that GoPro sells to put on the camera so that makes the GoPro sound actually useful with the windows down.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I thought I was hearing a bit more transmission noise now, yeah?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by canakami
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1463626243' post='23970797
[quote name='canakami' timestamp='1463623239' post='23970762']

Ahhh, that makes sense. I thought I was hearing a bit more transmission noise now, yeah?
[/quote]

Yeah probably, mic is point directly at the transmission tunnel right past the end of the cargo net, so picks up some exhaust manifold sound and general engine transmission sound. I also got good results with the same mics clipped to the windscreen between the seats to pickup good stereo sound. They need to have foam and furry covers on to bring down the wind noise. But to keep it relatively simple the best setup seems to be footwell against transmission tunnel, trunk for exhaust, and GoPro audio for general ambient sound. I really like to drive with at least one window down so it has taken some effort to find good mic placement and also avoid wind noise. I am a bit of an audio/sound effects recording nerd though so it is always fun to test new stuff out.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to get any drone with the evs 70mm with the test pipe?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Windshield replaced! Had two nice cracks develop on my already pitted windshield after following my friends monster Audi S4 nice and close in the mountains. (AWD, 265 tires all around, rock launching monster). Windshields really are going to be a normal wear part for me, I wouldn't be surprised if I crack one every single year. All good though!

I went to:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/low-price-auto-glass-san-jose-2
http://www.mobile-glass.net

Couldn't be happier really, no issues at all. $150 out the door exactly as I was quoted. Not the most luxurious accommodations as you wait but I happily went and got some food from the food truck at the Pick N Pull nearby, and enjoyed watching the process of replacement. The owner actually showed me on the first piece of glass they brought from their warehouse had a tiny 1 cm long mark on it. I said no worries I am going to beat the crap out of it anyway, and they said no no no they won't install it, and went and got another windshield for me. I was in no hurry so I happily waited while they went to pickup the other windshield. They brought it in showed me the new glass was good to go, and installed it. They specifically mentioned that they use high quality urethane and gave good instructions on things to avoid while the urethane cures. Can happily recommend them. I sort of wish I would have paid $2 and strolled around the Pick N Pull next door while I waited. They have a nice simple waiting room, but it's nothing fancy, if you're pants are fancy, might want to find a different shop.

I asked for OEM glass and they mentioned APTech as a high quality OEM option. I actually did some research (have been sick the last few days) and learned that APTech apparently is a US subsidiary of AGC (Asahi Glass Company), which is who provides the Factory S2000 glass for Honda on the S2000. Go to any honda parts site or dealer, and their parts system will list (AGC) as the manufacturer for the S2000 windshield that you will get from Honda with Honda badging on it. They use many different glass manufacturers though, PPG/PGW, Nippon Glass, etc. Likely dependent on where the car was built. My new APTech windshield had AGC stickers all over it before it was installed, and is clearly labeled LAMISAFE as you would see on an AGC windshield. (LAMISAFE and TEMPERLITE were developed by Asahi Glass Company)

How much does all of this matter? Probably not much really, can't really go wrong with a good installer and good OEM spec glass from PPG/PGW, Pilkington, AGC, etc. I was very bored the last two days stuck at home so I though I would do the research, I even watched some nice windshield install videos, hahaha. I just like it when other people are thorough when they are providing info, so I try to do the same. The S2000 seems like a pretty straightforward car to install a windshield as it is nice and small and easy to align. I am not sure how people had issues with mis-aligned rearview mirrors as any replacement windshield seems to have a pretty clear spot for it to be reinstalled. The windshield that was on my car when I bought it (that was replaced) was made by FY, honestly I didn't notice any major problems with it, although it was pitted badly enough that I would be pretty blind with the sun at the right angle. But I would imagine that will happen with any windshield on the S2000.

I remember seeing this post, and I went there today to swap out a severely pitted windshield. Their rates went up a little, but still very professional.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by manystyles
I remember seeing this post, and I went there today to swap out a severely pitted windshield. Their rates went up a little, but still very professional.
These days I would recommend Spider Autoglass in San Jose. The FY windshield I had installed at the other place I have now has lasted a very long time I have to say though. I will probably do the OEM Honda glass next time around.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:19 PM

Here is the ASM 07 header weight:

Skateboard deck is there to support the header to be able to measure the weight. 14.9lbs - 2.5lbs for the deck = 12.4lbs total. I believe the OEM header weighs around 22-25lbs total with the heat shields from the data I have found so quite a nice savings there.

Going to try to get the soft top pulled out soon, smog done, header and throttle body installed, and then re-adjust ride height as springs should have had time to settle by then. And then go in on the suspension arm stuff I have been putting off for too long as well as Spoon steering rack bushings, and do a proper corner balance since most of the weight reduction stuff will be done at that point. And after all that I can finally get into installing the new rear bumper, mirrors, and drop it off for paint. ZE40s should also be shipping out to me this week. Just in time for me to put on the CEs instead.

I have been pretty carefully measuring the ride height every couple days to see if I can get a decent understanding of how the springs are settling but so far not really a measurable change. I suppose the stiffer a spring gets the less it settles. The 550lb/10kg springs I had before easily settled around 5mm all around. Will be interesting to see how removing the soft top effects the ride height as well as the behavior of the car. I have gotten very used to the car as is now so always interesting to pull another 40-50lbs out of it with the soft top gone and the header. And always have the option to lose another 14lbs by putting the Amuse exhaust on.

I am still a bit overly excited that I finally figured out how to properly mic this car. It is awesome to be able to just put my backpack with my camera and sound gear in the car, plug in some XLR cables into my recorder from mics that are always in the car, and hit record on the GoPro/s and sound recorder and be ready to go. Whenever I want I can also pop on the Hero 4 Session camera and set it up in looping record mode and use it as a dashcam to protect myself from stupid commuters.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have another track day scheduled? Coming back down to SOCAL?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice list of bits and bobs coming along here.
Interested in the steering rack bushings, after the rigid collar install im all about the lil things that make a big difference.
You do know you MuSt use the Amuse exhaust when the rear bumper goes on, so i hope its ready to go!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II