Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 611 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
This thread is in need of an update.
Lots of new parts should be installed now
Either that or the car has been sold...
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings' timestamp='1462223471' post='23955021
Either that or the car has been sold...
Sold it a long time ago, S2000s are dumb, cars are dumb.

It's funny because I have wanted to finally make a new sound check video with the new exhaust and stuff, but I have had this little interior rattle that has been driving me crazy for the past 6 months or however long. Turned out it was ridiculously simple and was just that little spring on the bottom of the passenger Recaro that was vibrating slightly against the bottom of the seat at 2-3k rpm. I finally figured out it was just that little spring after removing lots of interior panels trying to find it. Sound was really hard to pinpoint for some reason but last week while driving home in traffic I just started reaching under the seat as I was creeping through traffic and grabbed the spring and realized that was exactly where it was coming from. Easiest thing in the world to fix that makes the car feel awesome and new again haha.

Going to try to make that sound check video tonight if all goes to plan now that I don't have that rattle annoying me anymore. And I want to get the new Ohlins on this week or on the weekend as well. I decided I am just going to install the Ohlins by themselves initially to get a fair comparison, and then do the new suspension arms and steering rack bushings and stuff after that.

Need to take the car in for Smog this month as well, and later this month I should get the header in so I can get everything back on and do an updated tune.

And now that I fixed that damn rattle the soft top can come out as well. I tend to get in modes where I have to fix the thing I am focused on before moving on to the next thing.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When is that rear bumper going on?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhyW
When is that rear bumper going on?
Mannnnnnnnnnn, shit idk.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL
Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Is the car still silver, Andrew?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
It's anodized rose gold.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1462242044' post='23955273
It's anodized rose gold.
right on, man.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 AM

Didn't get the chance to do the sound check video quite yet because I was finishing up doing some little minor things in the interior. Still had a few little rattles and odds and ends I have been meaning to take care of.

1. remove a pillar interior trim and tape up the dome light wiring that was slightly vibrating against the trim on startup.

2. add some 242 loctite to the hardtop striker screws to keep them from vibrating loose over time.

3. replace sun visor screws with new ones (old ones were ugly and galled from being removed by some f@#king amateurs)

4. replace bulbs in dome light and use isopropyl alcohol + q-tips to clean up dome light switch contacts.

5. use some adhesive weather seal foam to quiet down some of the rattles the camera can pickup when mounted to the top of the secret compartment/glove box.

6. find a way to wire one of my microphones to the rear of the car through the interior panels behind the passenger seat.

This is an Audio-Technica PRO35 clip on instrument mic which I can easily clip into various places in the trunk. The large section on the XLR connection is detachable so it can easily fit through the little vented section of the panel. I have another one I setup up under the dashboard to get some engine noise from near the firewall. Both run into a Tascam sound recorder via XLR and I can dial in the gain from the driver's seat. Getting good audio from a loud car is a really difficult thing to do, but it has been fun trying out various methods and setups on this car. After a lot of trial and error I have a pretty awesome setup that should work well even with the windows down at the track.

I also picked up a GoPro Hero 4 Session recently to use mounted on the top of the secret compartment. With the Modifry mount I can easily point it forward if I want a secondary angle towards the front of the car, or point it out the rear window if I want a rear view. The foam weather seal I mentioned earlier keeps the sound into that camera much cleaner and makes syncing all the footage later much easier. Also after testing the Hero 4 Session vs. the Hero 3 I normally use as my main camera I can say that the 4 is MUCH better at night. It can manage a much cleaner image with much more accurate color that requires a lot less work in post. I have been trying to hold off on getting a new camera until the Hero 5 comes out but I might just go ahead and pick up the Hero 4 Black after seeing the results from the Session.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II