Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by tama05' timestamp='1457357646' post='23901108
Very nice, any particular reason for going 1.5?? I know you'll go into depth on this later but I still figured I would ask. Oh yeah, get the bumper on right now, a teaser will do.
I too would like to know the reason for going 1.5 as well. I thought the most common reason for upgrading the diff was for FI cars.
With a torsen if a wheel comes off the ground or loses contact patch it essentially becomes an open differential. A clutch type LSD resolves this and can remain active as long as there is torque being applied to the clutch packs, and it also allows for some fine tuning of how the differential will behave under deceleration and acceleration. So really a clutch type can just make the diff a little more predictable and consistent. A clutch type LSD won't really make the diff able to handle a significant increase in power, there are a lot of other things that can be done to reinforce the diff and help remove more heat from it. More power, more heat into the diff, so it is all about finding away to reduce the amount of heat created (polishing gears, heat treating, etc.), and removing that heat as efficiently as possible (larger capacity diff cover, larger heat sink fins, and so-on.)

Originally Posted by Cubandre
I just registered to say thanks for putting this thread together. I happened upon it while looking for yoututbe reviews on the Ohlins DFVs. Found your togue video when you first had them on, which googling your Youtube handle brought me to this thread. Then it took me 2 weeks to read through this thread. Appreciate the time and methods you have used to achieve what is important to you. I have been lurking on s2ki for nearly 3 years, and finally last year I made the goal of saving for an AP2. I like to buy my cars cash. I just hit my goal, which should put me into low mileage 06 to high mileage 08 prices. Just waiting for the perfect one to pop up for sale. Again thanks for the thread and I look forward to becoming part of the community, hopefully soon.
No problem! Glad you enjoy it. It all becomes much more rewarding when you save up and finally find the car you are after. I put a lot of money into my car but I don't do it blindly and all at once. It is easy for me to justify spending a lot of money on something once I have done thorough research and took the time to save up the cash to buy it. It's great to take the time to learn and slowly build up the knowledge and make decisions you are happy with the first time. The car and the parts and the driving aren't really the fun parts, it's the never ending learning process they provide.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info Andrew, I'm not very diff savvy, so that's helps me out. Plus like you I tend to research parts I plan on installing and I haven't put much thought into the diff. With the 1.5 vs a 2 way, is the diff more favored for acceleration vs deceleration?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heres a good thread with another review and info on the osg diff https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/114...#entry23870565

A 2way (locks under accel and decel) will, IMO, be annoying for a daily/street driven car. It behaves almost like a welded diff, tight turns will result in tire squeaking and drivetrain stress. 2 ways are popular for drifting. While a 1.5 way will still have some of that annoyance, it has less lock up on decel and will be more forgiving (like when you botch a downshift).
Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 AM

^thanks for the info and that thread was a great tool as well. Seems like this might be something down the road after chassis braces and a new clutch/flywheel setup is already in the car.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Lets get a soundcheck vid of the Evs like you did with the Amuse!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Lets get a soundcheck vid of the Evs like you did with the Amuse!
Yeah will do. Planning on waiting until I get the Toda test pipe. The header won't ship until May, so I will put on the test pipe and do another video. It's loud enough that I almost feel bad about doing it in the garage though.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That revalved Ohlins REALLY has my attention. I have been eyeing Ohlins, but stock rates were softer than I'd have liked. This takes care of my only issue with them!
Old 03-20-2016, 11:01 PM

ASM radiator tank + ASM rear tow hook

A few more ASM parts to add to the collection. Friend of mine is nearly finished testing a radiator setup he has been working on so that will likely be coming soon, so decided to pick up the ASM tank to match. The ASM rear tow hook to work with the JDM rear bumper support and new rear bumper, have been waiting for the towhook to get everything test fit since I will need to trim the mesh on the rear bumper to fit everything.

KYB hydraulic scissor jack

Also picked up this little scissor jack from Japan. Different manufacturer now but the same jack KYB used to offer. Simple little 800kg hydraulic scissor jack that is much easier to fit in the car when going to the track then my normal floor jack. Very well made, for some reason it isn't really possible to find something like this in the U.S. Only about $100 from Japan.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 AM

Nice pick up on the radiator overflow, that's one of those back burner purchases that I want to make. I definitely expected the rear tow hook, I mean how could you not with the bumper!!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

That jack is really cool

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II