Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-03-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking fwd to seeing what they did with these shocks. If there is any way i could get rid of my remote reservoirs id gladly do it as they are such a pain. Im a set it and forget it type and hope these finally have enough range to be right where id need
Old 03-03-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Looking fwd to seeing what they did with these shocks. If there is any way i could get rid of my remote reservoirs id gladly do it as they are such a pain. Im a set it and forget it type and hope these finally have enough range
Yeah same for me. I make general adjustments for the particular type of driving I am doing, normal, mountains, or track, and from there it is just small fine tuning. I think once we are done testing we will be able to provide the plots to those who are interested. These were valved through Ohlins USA directly with Anish working with them on the particulars of the valving, so once it is all said and done I think Anish will be able to provide all the details of usable spring rate range and all that. Should be a great setup.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
As I have said before, dialing in the suspension setup is the best part of any car, and it never really ends. Still lots of things to slowly fine tune and adjust for each particular track and condition, and still quite a few parts I am still looking to pick up.
Very cool and I very much agree. The hard part with suspension tuning is that it takes time and it's hard (for me) to quantify exactly how much a certain change helps (or hurts), and how/if setting A is really "better" (and what's better) than setting B (for example changing a shock setting one or two clicks). It's a lot of fun and great when you can tweak things to exactly how you like them.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

You have my all of my attention with the new shocks.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Good choice in getting them revalved. I did the same and I have them set at 14 clicks from full stiff. It's great for casual street driving, but I have yet to adjust for more aggressive driving. Definitely worth the money to have this done when brand new so you can save a couple hundred bucks
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 610 Likes on 426 Posts

So, bought a second set of DFVs that you had re-valved, in addition to the OTS ones currently on your car? Baller. lol

Sell both sets and get TTX. haha
Old 03-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
So, bought a second set of DFVs that you had re-valved, in addition to the OTS ones currently on your car? Baller. lol

Sell both sets and get TTX. haha
Getting the current set of DFVs revalved and rebuilt is actually pretty pricey, so made sense to do it this way. And it wasn't just a matter of having them revalved to accommodate the stiffer spring rate, kind of an overall update to the valving overall. With the updated valving I could likely even run my current 10kg/10kg springs with no issue if wanted, as well as going quite a bit stiffer.

As much as I would love a TTX setup, the set and forgetness of the DFV and the way they perform over curbs and bumps is hard to beat. If/when I sell my current setup it will probably go towards some TTX goodness.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he did get a second set, he did mention plans for a second S2000 so I wouldn't be surprised if he would hold it for that car. I wish I did this from the begining myself. Can't wait for updates on the new setup!
Old 03-03-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Very cool and I very much agree. The hard part with suspension tuning is that it takes time and it's hard (for me) to quantify exactly how much a certain change helps (or hurts), and how/if setting A is really "better" (and what's better) than setting B (for example changing a shock setting one or two clicks). It's a lot of fun and great when you can tweak things to exactly how you like them.
More and more I am starting to see the light in making small refinements based on the current conditions. Tricky for me to do that because I can generally be happy with whatever I am driving. It helps having friends to drive with that are just that little bit faster than you so you are pushed to really get into the fine details and seeing what is fastest.

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
You have my all of my attention with the new shocks.
I think we have a winner on our hands with these. Hoping to have some time next week to get these and the front upper arms on the car.

Originally Posted by jst2878
Good choice in getting them revalved. I did the same and I have them set at 14 clicks from full stiff. It's great for casual street driving, but I have yet to adjust for more aggressive driving. Definitely worth the money to have this done when brand new so you can save a couple hundred bucks
This is a new set of DFVs with a pretty specific valving change so not just their standard revalve for stiffer springs. Some testing was done on other dampers to see how they compared to the standard DFV valving. Definitely interesting to see the various differences between different setups.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by chickenbandit
If he did get a second set, he did mention plans for a second S2000 so I wouldn't be surprised if he would hold it for that car. I wish I did this from the begining myself. Can't wait for updates on the new setup!
Yeah that is also sort of the plan here, haha. The more and more parts I collect the more likely I am to get a second S2000. I will probably hold out until I can find a unicorn Imola Orange AP2.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II