Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, is this going to replace your stock cluster? I want to say yes, since you have a tach on it. And if no, then why 3 Tachs?!

If yes, it will replace your stock cluster, then you'd probably want pertinent information like a Speedo and Fuel level gauge.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

This dude really needs to chill the f@#k out. I am done even trying to have discussions with people like this.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought tougemaster was your alternate SN
Old 12-22-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
I assumed it was Ricky Bobby Flowers.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1450829207' post='23834768
I assumed it was Ricky Bobby Flowers.
I swear it isn't. I wish I was creative enough to have though of it. Most of his arguments are decent, the remaining part absolutely hilarious.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Tire pressures are extremely important for track guys. I'd love to know my highest tire pressure for each tire during a session. By the time I do my cool down laps (on track and in the paddock), my pressures have gone down by the time I can check them.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by radiantm3
Tire pressures are extremely important for track guys. I'd love to know my highest tire pressure for each tire during a session. By the time I do my cool down laps (on track and in the paddock), my pressures have gone down by the time I can check them.
It's annoying that proper tire pressure monitoring and logging setups are incredibly expensive while there are many inexpensive options that give you a sort of half assed way to view pressures in real time, but not log anything. I wonder if some newer cars output TPMS data through OBDII?

In the end I'm not sure the hassle of dealing with TPMS logging would be worth the hassle and cost of requiring sensors on each set of wheels and all that. It's more just the curiosity of what the tires are actually doing rather than just guessing. All of the inexpensive systems have a really slow update frequency and large margin of error. Would definitely be cool to see what the actual pressures are out on track compared to the drop after coming in. Probably best to just do some quick pressure checks in the hot pits and see how the measurements compare.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by radiantm3' timestamp='1450840506' post='23834873
It's annoying that proper tire pressure monitoring and logging setups are incredibly expensive while there are many inexpensive options that give you a sort of half assed way to view pressures in real time, but not log anything. I wonder if some newer cars output TPMS data through OBDII?

In the end I'm not sure the hassle of dealing with TPMS logging would be worth the hassle and cost of requiring sensors on each set of wheels and all that. It's more just the curiosity of what the tires are actually doing rather than just guessing. All of the inexpensive systems have a really slow update frequency and large margin of error. Would definitely be cool to see what the actual pressures are out on track compared to the drop after coming in. Probably best to just do some quick pressure checks in the hot pits and see how the measurements compare.
Yea. But I'm afraid of rotors cracking too much for that. Haha.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Like I said, tire pressure in real time, IMO, is just waste of space. It's fine if you don't agree, but it's just my opinion. Are you going to constantly be looking down at your cluster to see when pressure peaks? and then in a 20 min session, the time spent NOT looking at tire pressure would far outlast the time spent caring about it, so then it becomes a giant waste of space.

IMO, gauges are for far more important things, like engine health and even lap times, like you had on your previous mock up. Things that you actually need to know at that very second.

Why not just have the Motec system log the tire pressures behind the scenes so you can look at them on a laptop after each session and adjust for the next time out?

It's all just constructive criticism. I don’t know why you got so defensive towards my responses.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg' timestamp='1450199776' post='23828593
[quote name='NoBottleJustThrottle' timestamp='1450198381' post='23828559']
Exactly what I think too. That's part of the reason why I like this build thread so much. He actually takes the time to focus in on the small things that are often overlooked. Furthermore, he started out working on the "driver mod" before jumping in with any "part mod".

It makes me cringe when I see people, sometimes before the delivery of a car itself, already buying parts to drastically change the characteristics of the car. I am a firm believer in spending a significant amount of time on the driver mod before anything. Chances are most people won't be able to reach the razor edge of their car's top performance level. Even if they do it's unlikely that they'll be able to stay on that edge for any consistent amount of time. So why spend thousands of dollars on suspension tuning, or adding gobs of power when they can't even properly exploit what's there from the factory?
I see it from both sides personally. For many people this isn't their first car so they have preferences developed already and want to tailor the car more to their liking. Whether they can drive on the knife's edge is sort of irrelevant. Also, some handling characteristics inspire more confidence which helps the driver go faster or even progress further. On the flipside some people have basically a "show car." Not my cup of tea, but this is like 90% of porsche owners.

Case in point, my '06 oem suspension had a ton of body roll and was very soft for my liking. It came with a soft suspension not to please the engineers, but to please the sunday drivers who will putz with the top down to the grocery store. The car was built with compromises being a street car. I installed some coilovers before too much seat time and I don't regret it. I do think it's good to get a good "feel" for the car before going crazy however, although everyone has their own threshold for what they think is enough. Anyway, I won't ramble on, but it's a tomayto vs tomahto sort of thing, imo.
Completely agree. If I was to buy another S2000 I would start modifying everything right away. If I was to buy an NSX or something I would treat it the same as when I got the S2000. It's not that I don't realize it can be made much faster, it is more about learning for myself just how fast I can take it before upgrading. For me learning how to drive around the limitations of a particular car has always been the most rewarding part of driving. Having spent so much time learning to drive really shitty cars quickly, I think it has kept me from developing a particular style of driving, it's just sort of adapting to whatever feedback the car is giving. I just keep trying things until the car drives the way I want it to drive. Definitely good and bad though. It can definitely make fine tuning more difficult because if a car is decently balanced I am generally pretty happy. Focusing only on the S2000 recently has helped me with that though.
[/quote]

Apologies - I should have been more specific with my post. My comments were in relation to new (brand new, or new to the owner) cars. Yes, I agree that if you've had the same car previously that it makes sense that you have an understanding of the car already. Like you said, Andrew, learning the car in its stock form is rewarding. I don't understand people that skip this step with a new/new to them car.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II