Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Ikeya Formula front upper arms

These beauties finally arrived. Build quality is excellent. Easy to adjust with lots of range and the spherical bearings are very nice. The included manual also does a good job of going over the specifics of adjustment and why you might want to make specific adjustments. I am planning on installing the ASM sway bars first and do some testing to see how the car feels and which settings I prefer. And then I will get these arms installed and dialed in. I plan on just shortening the upper arm about 3mm compared to the stock length. This should give me right around the same clearance with the CEs that I currently have with the Weds plus a little bit more.

Dialing in the suspension setup of a car is by far my favorite part of the process. I love it because there really isn't anything anyone can do to solve it for you. Everyone has a different driving style and setup preference so you just have to figure it out on your own, and the only way to do that is drive the car and adjust as you see fit.

I also picked up a new Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 lens (used to take this photo) which is fantastic with the Canon 60D. Almost no distortion at the widest angle. Fantastic lens for the price.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake

These beauties finally arrived. Build quality is excellent. Easy to adjust with lots of range and the spherical bearings are very nice. The included manual also does a good job of going over the specifics of adjustment and why you might want to make specific adjustments. I am planning on installing the ASM sway bars first and do some testing to see how the car feels and which settings I prefer. And then I will get these arms installed and dialed in. I plan on just shortening the upper arm about 3mm compared to the stock length. This should give me right around the same clearance with the CEs that I currently have with the Weds plus a little bit more.

Dialing in the suspension setup of a car is by far my favorite part of the process. I love it because there really isn't anything anyone can do to solve it for you. Everyone has a different driving style and setup preference so you just have to figure it out on your own, and the only way to do that is drive the car and adjust as you see fit.

I also picked up a new Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 lens (used to take this photo) which is fantastic with the Canon 60D. Almost no distortion at the widest angle. Fantastic lens for the price.
Does this company still sell furniture too. Lol
Old 12-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ikeya Formula front upper arms These beauties finally arrived. Build quality is excellent. Easy to adjust with lots of range and the spherical bearings are very nice. The included manual also does a good job of going over the specifics of adjustment and why you might want to make specific adjustments. I am planning on installing the ASM sway bars first and do some testing to see how the car feels and which settings I prefer. And then I will get these arms installed and dialed in. I plan on just shortening the upper arm about 3mm compared to the stock length. This should give me right around the same clearance with the CEs that I currently have with the Weds plus a little bit more. Dialing in the suspension setup of a car is by far my favorite part of the process. I love it because there really isn't anything anyone can do to solve it for you. Everyone has a different driving style and setup preference so you just have to figure it out on your own, and the only way to do that is drive the car and adjust as you see fit. I also picked up a new Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 lens (used to take this photo) which is fantastic with the Canon 60D. Almost no distortion at the widest angle. Fantastic lens for the price.
What rates are the ASM sway bars?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mccormick009
Ikeya Formula front upper arms These beauties finally arrived. Build quality is excellent. Easy to adjust with lots of range and the spherical bearings are very nice. The included manual also does a good job of going over the specifics of adjustment and why you might want to make specific adjustments. I am planning on installing the ASM sway bars first and do some testing to see how the car feels and which settings I prefer. And then I will get these arms installed and dialed in. I plan on just shortening the upper arm about 3mm compared to the stock length. This should give me right around the same clearance with the CEs that I currently have with the Weds plus a little bit more. Dialing in the suspension setup of a car is by far my favorite part of the process. I love it because there really isn't anything anyone can do to solve it for you. Everyone has a different driving style and setup preference so you just have to figure it out on your own, and the only way to do that is drive the car and adjust as you see fit. I also picked up a new Tokina 11-20mm f2.8 lens (used to take this photo) which is fantastic with the Canon 60D. Almost no distortion at the widest angle. Fantastic lens for the price.
What rates are the ASM sway bars?
Compared to the latest AP2 sway bar specs

ASM Stabilizer Specs:
(% compared to OEM AP2-110 bars)
Front: 28.6 x 3.5mm Hollow 3.2kg
Pos.1 – 3.99 kg/mm (39 N/mm) 95.8%
Pos.2 – 4.44 kg/mm (44 N/mm) 106.6%
Pos.3 – 4.94 kg/mm (49 N/mm) 118.5%

Rear: 27.2 x 3.5mm Hollow 2.7kg
Pos.1 – 5.22 kg/mm (51 N/mm) 104.5%
Pos.2 – 5.97 kg/mm (59 N/mm) 119.4%
Pos.3 – 6.91 kg/mm (68 N/mm) 138.2%

OEM AP2-110 Stabilizer Specs:
Front: 26.5 x 5.0mm Hollow 3.6kg: 4.17 kg/mm(42 N/mm)
Rear: 25.6 x 4.5mm Hollow 3.1kg 5.00 kg/mm (51 N/mm)
Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

ASM Stabilizer Specs:

Where did you get the #'s for ASM? The stiffness ratings seem very low. What you posted shows the ASM front bar on full stiffness is only 7 N/mm (40lbs/in) stiffer than OEM.

I see you went out and bought a Tokina wide angle too. Like it?
Old 12-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by adrs2k

ASM Stabilizer Specs:

Where did you get the #'s for ASM? The stiffness ratings seem very low. What you posted shows the ASM front bar on full stiffness is only 7 N/mm (40lbs/in) stiffer than OEM.

I see you went out and bought a Tokina wide angle too. Like it?
Yeah the ASM bars aren't significantly stiffer than OEM, they are just designed to provide a useful range of adjustability. Using sway bars to drastically alter suspension balance is the wrong approach in my opinion. Using sway bars to do the job that should be done by the springs and geometry. Plus the car doesn't have a significant amount of body roll as is even with the relatively soft 10kg/mm springs, so I think only a small increase in stiffness is needed. Using an extra stiff front bar can work well in high grip situations, but in lower grip conditions it just starts to compromise the turn-in, especially in lower speed corners. Right now the way the car transitions from side to side is very well balanced with how it transitions from front to rear.

I still plan on trying out more roll center correction up front as well as the Ikeya arms, which will also change the geometry slightly, but I am pretty happy with the balance of the car as is. I will be moving to 13kg/mm springs F + R soon on revalved DFVs to help better control how the car transitions from front to rear and side to side, so the ASM bars will just provide some fine tuning of the behavior of the car as it turns in and settles into a corner. I will probably start out testing them with the front bar on full stiff and the rear on the medium setting.

The slightly shortened Ikeya upper arms should allow me to run slightly less static front camber. As the front moves through the compression range it should gain camber faster, so that will be interesting to see how the car feels, it will be a small change though.

LOVE the Tokina 11-20mm! Such a great lens for the cost. Amazing how there is almost no distortion even at the widest angle, and it looks very sharp all through the zoom range.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oof those arms are hawt. I really need to get a set ordered.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always loved the Ikeya arms since I was first introduced to them by way of my IS300. As stated, excellent quality!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ISman
Always loved the Ikeya arms since I was first introduced to them by way of my IS300. As stated, excellent quality!
Yep definitely impressed with the quality of these things. Only thing that would make them better is if they were anodized Ohlins gold.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Using sway bars to drastically alter suspension balance is the wrong approach in my opinion. Using sway bars to do the job that should be done by the springs and geometry.
YES YES YES YES YES YES.

So few people seem to grasp this concept.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II