Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Endless ME20 brake pads

I picked up a set of Endless ME20 brake pads (listed as CC40 in Japan) which is a popular competition pad for various types of racing and is popular among GT-R, E90 M3, and other common track car owners. For whatever reason Endless pads aren't readily available in the U.S. (particularly the competition pads) so I ordered these direct from Japan at a much better cost than I was able to get from any of the distributors. I go through front pads at about twice the rate of rear pads so I ordered two front sets and a single rear set.

Looking forward to testing these out. I have nearly finished off my current set of front Winmax W5s so I will be swapping to the ME20s after that. I absolutely loved the W5s at Sonoma with the Spoon calipers, so it will be interesting to see how I like these. I have learned that I definitely prefer pads with high friction coefficients. According to the manufacture data the ME20 sits in between the Club Racer and W5 in terms of friction coefficient, but it really is just a matter of trying each pad out. Cost wise these pads are normally significantly more expensive than the Club Racer and W5 which are similarly priced, but getting the direct from Japan as part of a larger order is a good way to bring the cost down to basically the same cost as the Project µ or Winmax pads. These pads have a very similar backing plate design to the W5s but the pad surface have fairly large chamfered edges.
I am currently using ME20 at the moment and love every bit of it. Very Streetable and superior on track (Current Mileage is approx 10,000km = aprox 7,000 miles with quite minimal wear). Mine makes a lot of noise because my URGE calipers dont have shims but yours should be quite minimal as spoon calipers are OEM shape.

I am very curious of your thoughts on the comparison between W5s and ME20s as W5s are on my next trial list. Keep up the good works!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:40 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Try girodisc front rotors. You're pads will last longer. They're lighter than oem too. I love mine
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
Try girodisc front rotors. You're pads will last longer. They're lighter than oem too. I love mine
Yeah can definitely help with pad life. I think ducting should increase the life of the rotors and pads nicely as well. Hoping to get my ducting figured out soon. Still deciding if I want to go full on and do the custom carbon setup I was thinking about, or do a slightly simpler version using at the APR front carbon ducts chassis mounted behind the bumper, and then have a nice custom flange machined to mount on. With a flange mounted on the fender liner it makes it very easy to connect and disconnect the ducts if needed to make it easier to bed in new pads and rotors, or replace them if they are damaged.

I even have a few other ideas, maybe doing a flange with a simple valve in it so when the valve is closed the air is directed up and out above the top of the fender liner. I honestly think it would be possible to make some nice additional front end downforce if you carefully directed that brake duct air up the fender liner and then out some louvres on the top of the fender or exit vents or something. Would be cool to try out for a full on track car. Nothing really wrong with just dumping it all into the rotor though and putting it to work to cool the brakes though.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

good stuff andrew!

maybe one day i'll see it in person if i ever make it to a track event up there or u coming back down to Buttonwillow.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Girodisc rotors reduce brake fade much more than I thought. With brake ducts you are going to block them off unless you are doing aggressive or track. I don't think ducts are that necessary unless it's on the track doing a 20+ minute session in 90 degree weather. What type of driving do you do most of the time? Do you feel brake fade now?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Girodisc rotors reduce brake fade much more than I thought. With brake ducts you are going to block them off unless you are doing aggressive or track. I don't think ducts are that necessary unless it's on the track doing a 20+ minute session in 90 degree weather. What type of driving do you do most of the time? Do you feel brake fade now?
Brake ducting helps with fade, but just as important, it prolongs the pad and rotor life. I've done a lot of testing with brake ducting when I had my e92 m3 and it practically doubled my pad life and my rotors resisted hairline cracks far longer.

I've done 5 track days on oem blanks in the s2k with ducting and my rotors have very little wear so far. So even if fade isn't an issue, I think it's totally worth it for prolonging the life of consumables.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:30 PM

I don't ever have issues with fading with my current setup without ducting. On track or otherwise.

Originally Posted by radiantm3' timestamp='1448779701' post='23814816
Brake ducting helps with fade, but just as important, it prolongs the pad and rotor life. I've done a lot of testing with brake ducting when I had my e92 m3 and it practically doubled my pad life and my rotors resisted hairline cracks far longer.

I've done 5 track days on oem blanks in the s2k with ducting and my rotors have very little wear so far. So even if fade isn't an issue, I think it's totally worth it for prolonging the life of consumables.
Yep definitely agree. Also when are you going to make a build thread?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by djdoc
I am currently using ME20 at the moment and love every bit of it. Very Streetable and superior on track (Current Mileage is approx 10,000km = aprox 7,000 miles with quite minimal wear). Mine makes a lot of noise because my URGE calipers dont have shims but yours should be quite minimal as spoon calipers are OEM shape.

I am very curious of your thoughts on the comparison between W5s and ME20s as W5s are on my next trial list. Keep up the good works!
Nice good to hear! I have had quite a few friends say very good things about the ME20s so definitely looking forward to testing them out. I have nearly finished off the W5 fronts so I will be swapping over once these are done. I have found I prefer to try to finish off pads completely when I can, otherwise I end up with a large collection of half used pads. Noise wise I am completely amazed at how big a difference the Spoon calipers make. The W5s would absolutely make noise with the OEM calipers and with the Spoons it is almost nothing. If I had to guess I would say it is the large amount of the face of the pad backing plate that is in contact with the sliding portion of the caliper on the OEM calipers that creates the noise. In the Spoon calipers the pads sit more secure in the caliper even though they are in contact with less surface area.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Are we allowed to know what color ze40s will be coming?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Are we allowed to know what color ze40s will be coming?
Nah

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II