Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Google employees are having a little fun ahahah
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Whenever my wheels aren't gunmetal from brake dust, I make sure to snap a few photos.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 AM

You know, since I bought my S2000 back in October of last year, I don't think I have gone more than a week without driving it. And no not driving it, I mean actually driving it.

Even after all of those times with no real changes made to the car I still have a giant smile on my face every time I pull up into my parking spot after a night in the mountains. It is funny because I know exactly how I want to change the car and modify it, but in the end the car as it is now is more fun than I could have ever imagined. On every single road, in every single condition. Making changes won't change the amount of fun that can be had in the car, it will simply make it more suited to certain roads and certain conditions. Faster on some roads, slower on others. I hope I am able maintain that balance of speed and fun as I make changes. The car already gives any driver the opportunity to continuously improve their driving, no matter how skilled they are. I truly feel bad for the people that don't get out and enjoy the car this way. The track is extremely fun and is a great way to learn the limits of your car, but in no way does it replicate the feeling you get driving an S2000 through the mountains or on a winding road. The incredible amount of corners, the different types of corners, the sounds, the views, the elevation change. That feeling you get driving an unfamiliar road but you are so in-tune with the car you can just react and it does exactly what you want it to. Pushing a car to it's limits are easy, increasing your own limit is difficult, and you can't just drive like a crazy person to find it.

Don't just be a passenger in a shopping cart full of parts that "define" your taste it cars, don't be a "car guy", be a driver.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to that post man. i feel teh same way. i've only been driving stick for a couple months now and therefore haven't really taken my s2000 to the track or anything until i get more familiar with driving. do you have any tips? how did you learn how to drive like you do? i have no idea where to start. i can do the basics like downshifting and all that but i want to be able to enjoy my S as much as you do
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sn0wman
to that post man. i feel teh same way. i've only been driving stick for a couple months now and therefore haven't really taken my s2000 to the track or anything until i get more familiar with driving. do you have any tips? how did you learn how to drive like you do? i have no idea where to start. i can do the basics like downshifting and all that but i want to be able to enjoy my S as much as you do
In terms of tips the best thing I can say is this:

The only way to become a better driver is to drive a lot, and have the right mentality. Maximizing the amount of time you can drive, in a sensible way, and while you are doing it keep your mind wide open and react. There is no point in going out and pushing beyond your own limits right from the start. The S2000's limit is much much higher than most driver's limits initially so going out and trying to find the car's limit isn't a good idea. If you don't know what to do when you are at those limits and don't know how to react, you will go off. I like working on cars as much as the next guy, but I would much rather spend my time driving the car not repairing it. So it is simple really. DO. NOT. DAMAGE. THE. CAR. Driving is no different from any sport, the longer you go without driving, the worse you will become at it. If you or your car is injured, you just take a step backwards. This might change as you get better and have more experience, and it might phase you less and less, but going a long time without driving when you are trying to learn the basics of driving fast will just keep you from progressing.

The more you drive, the faster you can slowly build up your own limits, and start reaching the limits of the car. There is no way to shortcut this process. And if you try to shortcut it you just miss all the rewarding stuff you learn along the way. There will be moments when you will have to try new things that are riskier than what you are used to, but there is a difference between risk and stupidity and it is easy to see this difference as you are driving. It is easy to know if you are capable of something before you try it.

Some more practical tips:

-find a road you like and drive it until you know it in your sleep.
-find a driver that you want to drive like and drive with them, ride-along with them. As a passenger everything will seem much faster than as a driver, but you can also spend time analyzing what they are doing instead of focusing on driving.
-follow that driver on a road you are very familiar with. Have them drive at a pace that doesn't leave you behind so you can see where they brake, turn-in, apex, etc.
-also try to find someone who is at your same level and learn to drive with them
-spend time not driving watching others drive, videos, racing, gran turismo, whatever. Video games can teach you a lot from a mental standpoint.
-learn how to heel-toe and rev-match downshift to the point that you can do it without thinking about it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Learn this the same way you learn to drive, try it out at a slower pace, and then apply it to more spirited driving.
-don't waste time modifying your car until you have actually reached it's limits
-learn the cars limit at very low speeds, learning to do donuts (in a safe environment), and transfer weight back and forth.
-learn the basics of how cars work, so when you do something in your car, you know what you are actually doing.
-don't waste time shooting and watching video of yourself driving slowly. Despite popular belief, unless you are already reasonably fast trying to learn what you can do better from your own videos is a joke. It becomes very useful after you are more experienced and trying to really maximize your speed. Not to mention nobody else wants to see that shit anyway.
-don't worry about time laps on track until you know you are actually going fast. Don't give yourself reference times that are complete shit that you can easily beat

and the biggest one:

Be humble about your own driving skill, but don't go around thinking or saying negative things about yourself. Don't waste time thinking about that, you just end up being that slow driver that you are telling yourself that you are, and never really get better. Instead of thinking about why you are slow think about how you can go faster. Think about the driver you want to be.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Oh! And because I like to stir shit up. Don't waste time or money with driving classes, instructors, car control clinics, people on forums whatever. Teach yourself, learn things from your peers that you actually spend time driving with. Don't rely on someone else to tell you how you are doing along the way, figure things out for yourself. Don't become that same asshole driver that everyone else is, develop your own style.

DO NOT let people who think they are engineers tell you how to drive. Cars are engineering, driving is instinct and feel. DO NOT let people who think they are expert drivers with nothing new to learn tell you how to drive, you will learn absolutely nothing from them. Don't listen to people who take themselves too seriously and sit around just talking about driving, rather than actually doing it.

Keep an open mind, being willing to think and try new things. And have fun!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Nicely said. I think it does come down to seat time, and having a lot of it like you and Casey really shows on the roads you drive. Sadly, I wished I lived closer to those roads so I can experience them more often. Living in an urban environment only stems the process, with no long stretches and twisties to enjoy. Plus cops, lol.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thanks for a detailed response. the only mod i have on my car right now is coils (KW V3) but i think my next step would be to practice heel toe and donuts just so i can get more comfortable with the car and how it works. i don't have the luxury of mountain roads here in orlando unfortunately so i'll try to see if i can find a nice empty parking lot somewhere
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM

Got the original photo my friend snapped at Laguna awhile back that I really like so have to post it up.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Little afternoon stroll.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II