Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this makes me wanna go square setup asap... but I don't like how the front tires/rims "seems to" stick out of the fenders and look a bit out of place there. I guess it's worth the trade off. Maybe -3 camber helps a bit?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait for that ride along. Not sure I could articulate my experience as well as you can in technical terms, so I will probably have to just make a custom shirt that says "I survived the touge"!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by caleb2483
this makes me wanna go square setup asap... but I don't like how the front tires/rims "seems to" stick out of the fenders and look a bit out of place there. I guess it's worth the trade off. Maybe -3 camber helps a bit?
It sort of bothers me as well but it isn't bad at all. With this setup I wouldn't say they necessarily stick out other than at the bottom, but yes the standard size CEs tucked into the fender quite a bit more. More camber could help but really you are just offsetting the rear of the upright when adjusting camber. An upper offset balljoint is also an option, or an adjustable upper control arm, but the upper balljoints seem to slip, and upper adjustable arms are quite expensive. I still have plans for custom fenders that should really dial in the look.

I think one of the best options for going to a square setup without a lot of extra work are the Spoon CR93 wheels in the 8.5" size that clears a BBK. You can run better brakes, and shouldn't deal with the inner rubbing issues that can be a problem on 17x9+63 setups up front, which also won't allow for better brakes.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by caleb2483' timestamp='1429031562' post='23577485
It sort of bothers me as well but it isn't bad at all. With this setup I wouldn't say they necessarily stick out other than at the bottom, but yes the standard size CEs tucked into the fender quite a bit more. More camber could help but really you are just offsetting the rear of the upright when adjusting camber. An upper offset balljoint is also an option, or an adjustable upper control arm, but the upper balljoints seem to slip, and upper adjustable arms are quite expensive. I still have plans for custom fenders that should really dial in the look.

I think one of the best options for going to a square setup without a lot of extra work are the Spoon CR93 wheels in the 8.5" size that clears a BBK. You can run better brakes, and shouldn't deal with the inner rubbing issues that can be a problem on 17x9+63 setups up front, which also won't allow for better brakes.
255 AD08Rs, 17x9 +63 RSIIs(15.8lb), and 328mm STOPTECHs w/dustboots. Oh, and non-rolled fenders...
Old 04-14-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by av8ter
255 AD08Rs, 17x9 +63 RSIIs(15.8lb), and 328mm STOPTECHs w/dustboots. Oh, and non-rolled fenders...
You are so butt hurt about me saying I don't like Stoptechs it is adorable. And for the record, I don't like Stoptech in the same way I don't Pepsi over Coke. It's not in anyway rational as I already have said.

You can fit the +63 with a BBK without spacers? And you can run the +63 without even folding up the two top fender liner tabs and trimming the liner? That wasn't even possible with my staggered CEs with the car at a 13" ride height. Nothing is wrong with rolling the front fenders, I don't understand why people avoid it honestly.

I was thinking about doing +63s all around but I didn't want to run a spacer, and I really don't like look with the rears sunk in a bit with the fronts more flush.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, one of my favorite s2000 build threads!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1429037225' post='23577641
You are so butt hurt about me saying I don't like Stoptechs it is adorable. And for the record, I don't like Stoptech in the same way I don't Pepsi over Coke. It's not in anyway rational as I already have said.

You can fit the +63 with a BBK without spacers? And you can run the +63 without even folding up the two top fender liner tabs and trimming the liner? That wasn't even possible with my staggered CEs with the car at a 13" ride height. Nothing is wrong with rolling the front fenders, I don't understand why people avoid it honestly.

I was thinking about doing +63s all around but I didn't want to run a spacer, and I really don't like look with the rears sunk in a bit with the fronts more flush.
I guess you didn't take it as the joke that it was. It's cool that you take your thread seriously, I'll keep my sarcasm out of it.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by av8ter
I guess you didn't take it as the joke that it was. It's cool that you take your thread seriously, I'll keep my sarcasm out of it.
2 posts earlier: "Thanks. I will probably just pick up some cheap used tires from the local salvage yard."

Yes this is very serious business. No jokes here. No sarcasm here. I enjoy sass and sarcasm, just expect to get sassed back.

Those questions I asked were not sarcastic though. If it is possible to run the +63 RSIIs without spacers or just a small one that is awesome.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by manystyles
Nice(r) snaps! Take me along for a ride and I'll take some motion shots for you!
That is a wonderful plan.

Originally Posted by WhyW
For some reason these two are my favorites out of all your shots. I think your car is on point. +47 CE28's, new rear bumper, and a hardtop and you're killing the game. Game over. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

No please I need that $200 to support my brake dust habit.

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Great review!

I look forward to trying out my new sq setup w/ the stoptech kit at an event next month. Unfortunately the car's been sitting and I haven't had time to tinker w/ it or drive it, so minus some light bedding of the new pads, I can't comment.

I had a similar issue in terms of finding consistency w/ the OEM brakes w/ 225's up front, especially at 100+ mph brake zones. As the pads got towards the end of their life the issue worsened. I had some strange and uneven pad wear, and I never bothered to really find the exact culprit. The "slop" you mentioned sounds like a good possibility and it's just a limitation of the oem sliding caliper. I hope my experience is as great as yours. More responsive turn in would be great as well. On the staggered setup on track at times there'd be a small delay between turning in and the car responding.

Great detailed review!
Glad I am not the only one experiencing that. I like to get as much life out of my pads as i can as I replace them often. I even experienced this with everything completely stock. Once the pads get worn down to about about ~3-4mm of pad material remaining. I would even get a similar clicking sound similar to what I was getting recently. Even on stock rotors. It is a shame Honda didn't just tack on about $1000 to the base price of the S2000 to add some fixed 4 piston calipers. I do know that some parts that Spoon sells were actually parts designed by Honda but licensed to Spoon to sell. (Like the gusset plates, rotors, etc.) Definitely makes me wonder if Honda was working with Nissin on the different calipers that Spoon has offered or if Spoon initiated everything.

The difference in feel with these calipers is very clear. It is easy to tell the caliper is making better use of the pad and applying more even pressure. You should love the Stoptech kit for sure as you get even more pad area.

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Can't wait for that ride along. Not sure I could articulate my experience as well as you can in technical terms, so I will probably have to just make a custom shirt that says "I survived the touge"!
It would only be fair to offer you a drive not a ride.

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Subscribed, one of my favorite s2000 build threads!
Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM

Not sure if I had mentioned this. I switched back to my used W5 pads before switching to the Spoon calipers and swapped them over to the Spoons when installing. They feel fantastic with the new calipers. With the stock calipers they felt great but were harder to be consistent with than the Club Racers because the initial bite was so strong. A much better match for the 255 up tires up front than with the 225s. Still get into the ABS no problem. They feel perfect now and they seem to last a bit longer than the Club Racers while being less expensive so I might have my new goto pad with these. They don't work as well as the CR in cold temps but I think they will definitely be my track pads of choice.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II