Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

car looks really good!
what are your tire plans for the ce28s?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Number one being the piston knock back. For those that don't understand I will explain. You drive hard through a twisty section of corners and exit and you are now on a straight. The g-force through those corners has now created a nice gap between the piston and pads, and when you brake hard after the long straight you are on the pedal will not be as consistent and there will be a slight delay before you are getting into the initial bite of the pad. With the Spoon calipers (and any other good 4 piston caliper) this just doesn't happen.
Is that your final answer? That fixed calipers are less prone to pad knockback than sliding calipers?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
car looks really good!
what are your tire plans for the ce28s?
Thanks. I will probably just pick up some cheap used tires from the local salvage yard.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ha!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Re71r. These tires are so much fun. Sticky icky
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by av8ter
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1428964825' post='23576538

Number one being the piston knock back. For those that don't understand I will explain. You drive hard through a twisty section of corners and exit and you are now on a straight. The g-force through those corners has now created a nice gap between the piston and pads, and when you brake hard after the long straight you are on the pedal will not be as consistent and there will be a slight delay before you are getting into the initial bite of the pad. With the Spoon calipers (and any other good 4 piston caliper) this just doesn't happen.
Is that your final answer? That fixed calipers are less prone to pad knockback than sliding calipers?
I don't understand it either. It is very possible what I have always experienced with the OEM sliding calipers isn't standard pad/piston knock back and is instead the floating portion of the caliper allowing too much play between the piston, caliper, and pads. It should be called caliper flop back I guess. Once the caliper/piston is flopped to one side the only way to unflop it is to prime the brake pedal. This is less of a problem with brand new pads obviously. It's possible it is the opposite happening and it is just the pins getting gunked up and not allowing the floating portion of the caliper to move freely. I cleaned and regreased those pins every time I changed pads so I don't think it was just that. It could even be the weight of the floating portion of the caliper compressing the piston slightly under load.

This is something I have experienced at every single event I have been to at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill West, and for the past few years in the mountains. I have been on 2 different pairs of OEM calipers and it was consistent on both of them.

Fixed caliper with 1 piece rotor can definitely experience knockback due to various things flexing. But I don't think the S2000 suffers from that really even if it had a fixed caliper with single piece rotor, the upright and hub is very sturdy it is more a matter of the whole god damn floating portion of the caliper moving around. I will edit my post accordingly. All I know is the brakes would consistently feel like crap once a lot of heat was put into them, and so far that just isn't happening with Spoon calipers. The initial pedal feel is always consistent and generally provides more feedback.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jst2878
Re71r. These tires are so much fun. Sticky icky
I was going to pick up a set of these for the Weds but I wanted to have a fair comparison between my staggered setup. Did you measure the width of yours by chance? If you do let me know what they are. They were listed as being slightly narrower than the RE-11A I think. The AD08R is definitely a little wider than the RE11/RE11A.

If I get the CE28Ns in time I think I will get some RE71Rs so I can compare them with the AD08R back to back.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice(r) snaps! Take me along for a ride and I'll take some motion shots for you!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake

For some reason these two are my favorites out of all your shots. I think your car is on point. +47 CE28's, new rear bumper, and a hardtop and you're killing the game. Game over. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Great review!

I look forward to trying out my new sq setup w/ the stoptech kit at an event next month. Unfortunately the car's been sitting and I haven't had time to tinker w/ it or drive it, so minus some light bedding of the new pads, I can't comment.

I had a similar issue in terms of finding consistency w/ the OEM brakes w/ 225's up front, especially at 100+ mph brake zones. As the pads got towards the end of their life the issue worsened. I had some strange and uneven pad wear, and I never bothered to really find the exact culprit. The "slop" you mentioned sounds like a good possibility and it's just a limitation of the oem sliding caliper. I hope my experience is as great as yours. More responsive turn in would be great as well. On the staggered setup on track at times there'd be a small delay between turning in and the car responding.

Great detailed review!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II