Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Boop.

Put the sticker that came with my exhaust on the inside of my hood. Come at me Amuse nerds that wanted me to put it on my trunk lid.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I should be picking up some tires for the Weds very soon. AD08Rs or the new Potenza RE-71R? I can't decide. I would like to get AD08Rs to better compare going from staggered to non-staggered, but those RE-71Rs are very tempting.
Cancelled my order for RS3s as I'm curious to see how the RE71R is received. Based on the review in the R&C forum they're fast, but I have a few friends who just received theirs and are trying them out today on track. Tough to pull the trigger on a particular tire now the the AD08Rs are on clearance, the RS3 is cheap, the ZII SS is excellent, and now the RE71R is out.

Edit: You know the inner ricer in you wanted to put that sticker on the trunk. It's okay, let it out. No one will judge.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1426224723' post='23538324
I should be picking up some tires for the Weds very soon. AD08Rs or the new Potenza RE-71R? I can't decide. I would like to get AD08Rs to better compare going from staggered to non-staggered, but those RE-71Rs are very tempting.
Cancelled my order for RS3s as I'm curious to see how the RE71R is received. Based on the review in the R&C forum they're fast, but I have a few friends who just received theirs and are trying them out today on track. Tough to pull the trigger on a particular tire now the the AD08Rs are on clearance, the RS3 is cheap, the ZII SS is excellent, and now the RE71R is out.

Edit: You know the inner ricer in you wanted to put that sticker on the trunk. It's okay, let it out. No one will judge.
I held it up to the trunk for a good 10 minutes, plotting, scheming, but my better judgement won out. I have future trunk plans...

Personally I think the currently available lineup of Japanese tires are better and faster than the RS3s. Due to their price, a lot more people have spent a lot more time on the RS3s, but I am still yet to see anything really conclusive that they are a faster tire. If anything I have seen the opposite with my friends that run a wide range of different tires.

I am glad to see the RE71-R not be any more expensive than other similar tires though. Hopefully Yokohama will follow with whatever replaces the AD08.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_' timestamp='1426225957' post='23538328
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1426224723' post='23538324']

I held it up to the trunk for a good 10 minutes, plotting, scheming, but my better judgement won out. I have future trunk plans...

Personally I think the currently available lineup of Japanese tires are better and faster than the RS3s. Due to their price, a lot more people have spent a lot more time on the RS3s, but I am still yet to see anything really conclusive that they are a faster tire. If anything I have seen the opposite with my friends that run a wide range of different tires.

I am glad to see the RE71-R not be any more expensive than other similar tires though. Hopefully Yokohama will follow with whatever replaces the AD08.
[/quote]

If you get an Amuse trunk I'm pretty sure everyone here is going to completely lose their collective shit.

I'm a fan of the RS3 because of their price and the softer sidewall compared to those other tires. They go on my car when I road trip to the dragon (just under 3000 miles of driving) so any little bit of compliance is appreciated, especially considering I'll be ordering newer, stiffer suspension very soon. I have a connection that gets an absolutely hilarious deal on Bridgestone tires though, so I may ante up and try them out. I have until April to decide.

Hey, nice brakes btw.....
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
If you get an Amuse trunk I'm pretty sure everyone here is going to completely lose their collective shit.

I'm a fan of the RS3 because of their price and the softer sidewall compared to those other tires. They go on my car when I road trip to the dragon (just under 3000 miles of driving) so any little bit of compliance is appreciated, especially considering I'll be ordering newer, stiffer suspension very soon. I have a connection that gets an absolutely hilarious deal on Bridgestone tires though, so I may ante up and try them out. I have until April to decide.

Hey, nice brakes btw.....
My trunk plans go much, much deeper than that sir.

I hope I can try the RS3s on my car someday. I would love to pop them on one set of wheels and do a direct comparison one day on track. I could probably work out someone to help transport the extra wheels to and from the track.

Don't even get me started on brakes.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 PM

For those interested the Spoon caliper weight is 7.2lbs each according to my scale. Including the mounting brackets and all hardware. I will be curious to weigh the OEM calipers.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

It's always fun reading about the new items you pick up, Andrew
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

despite my comments on the spoon calipers on the other thread they do look amazing brand new.
i am also keen to hear what you think of them. you always do great in depth reviews of your purchases
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by toddxxx
despite my comments on the spoon calipers on the other thread they do look amazing brand new.
i am also keen to hear what you think of them. you always do great in depth reviews of your purchases
Yeah they really are a well made caliper. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with them. If for whatever reason I don't like them, my friend is working with someone on a new S2000 brake kit that should be pretty amazing once everything is finished.

I am definitely looking forward to no longer dealing with greasing the caliper pins on the OEM rotors. It has become something I pretty much always check when changing pads because they get gunked up so fast under heavy use. Once my brakes have been well bled, I basically never have to mess with the fluid until it is time to flush the whole system again, so these should make keeping an eye on my pad wear (of both inner and outer pads) and swapping pads much easier without having to worry about checking other things. Luckily my cheap little Lisle piston spreader is the perfect size for these calipers and should work great too. I am hoping that orange assembly paint can survive a bit of heat, as all the bolts are marked after being properly torqued, and makes re-assembly a breeze.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those interested the Spoon caliper weight is 7.2lbs each according to my scale. Including the mounting brackets and all hardware. I will be curious to weigh the OEM calipers.

I think you need to re-weigh this... You accidentally left the extra bolts and nuts in their plastic baggie. That's throwing off your weight calculations!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II