Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1422895407' post='23490537
Still looking for all the belts. Only found one so far.
Yes only one belt and only one timing chain... Multiple bearings.
lol yes, one belt. i changed the two on one of my WRXs before i sold it late last year. haven't done my S yet. hope to have an extra belt to change soon though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I hope by more belts you don't mean supercharger. I'll be sad if that's the case.
Of course not.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM

20150204 Mugen intake installed:

Got the Mugen intake installed last night. After having it since November 2013 it is pretty damn satisfying to finally install it. There is tons of clearance with the Amuse hood. Was pretty straight forward but it took me for ever because I was trying to remove the radiator air guide without removing the bumper. Once I removed the bumper it was very straight forward.

I fitted the ASM radiator plate do see what adjustments I might need to make, and it looks like I will need to make some small adjustments to get it fitting properly with the hood. The nuts that hold the metal “U” latch to the hood crash into plate. I will have to see how much I can adjust the latch side to side to see if it will fit. I also still need to trim the OEM airguide as well. I think I am going to run it even if I run the ASM radiator plate because it looks like it does a great job forcing air directly through the radiator. It doesn’t allow any weird pockets to build up anywhere. Hopefully I will be able to run the ASM plate with no issues with just some adjustments to the latch. But I might have to modify the plate slightly. I think I can make it work. If not I might go for the CF version as I can probably trim it a bit easier.

I always assumed the little cross brace at the front of the car had to be removed to run this intake, but that isn’t the case at all. Plenty of space for it. Mounting the main bracket to the crossbeam was very easily luckily. Just drilled small pilot holes and used self tapping screws to secure it down. It isn’t going anywhere. I got some black socket cap bolts for mounting the intake at the front part of the car since I didn’t like the little hex head bolts that came with it. They also use the same hex size as the filter clamp so makes it easy to take apart. The clamp is kind of a bitch to fit, but I might just have been tired.

Thanks to Hanzel for getting me the info from the install instructions on how to mount the main bracket on the cross beam!

I will get some better photos and post them up when I have some time. This really makes the car sound great with the Amuse hood. It brought some more bass and growl into the engine sound. It sounds glorious ripping through the gears now, where with just the hood and stock airbox where the inductions noise actually started to get drowned out by the mechanical noise of the engine. This is a very good balance.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Oh, that's pretty.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

very nice progress! one my favorite builds atm!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do you have the ASM plate with the OEM cooling guide still in place, or why would one use the plate instead of the OEM guide which is much more efficient? Never really understood why people use them, unless for looks?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Why do you have the ASM plate with the OEM cooling guide still in place, or why would one use the plate instead of the OEM guide which is much more efficient? Never really understood why people use them, unless for looks?
The OEM guide is a better solution in my opinion than any cooling plate. It really doesn't make sense to run both other than for looks really. The OEM guide just is a much better design aerodynamically, but the plates are nice because they do clean up the engine bay pretty nicely. Hiding some of the car's gizzards, And the OEM guide does let some air escape upwards to feed the OEM airbox, so a plate will help contain that a bit as well.

Also with any snorkel intake you have to cut the OEM guide, so a plate will help contain some of that air that gets around the intake.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

cant wait to hear how that mugen intake sounds like.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
cant wait to hear how that mugen intake sounds like.
Yeah I should have some time to record it in the exact same setup I did before. The difference will probably be subtle on video, but I will try to do my best to represent how it actually sounds in person. It just ads such a nice roar to the car whenever it's in VTEC.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:12 PM

I was nervous about taking off the bumper after the body shop had nicely mounted it, but I was actually able to make it line up even a little bit better reinstalling it myself. The R1 uses way less bolts on the bottom compared to the OEM bumper as well so it's pretty easy to deal with really. Having the bumper off gave me some ideas for brake duct setups as well that I want to try now.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II