Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles
Dude, bring that shit out to Milpitas tonight, KTHANKSBYE!
Ok.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Yay.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll be the first to admit I'm not crazy about the ZE40. Doesn't look as good as the CE or TE to me. It's a wheel that looks great on some cars and just meh on others. Everything looks good on CEs and TEs.
My favorite ZE40 car so far has been a E46 M3.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
You wouldn't believe the number of people who think my name is Andre Whake, so I applaud you for saying my actual first name. Yeah just a simple app called dB Meter. Works well enough and can be calibrated. You can see the difference in levels even just rolling up the windows.

Another difference in sound with the hood is the horn, I was pretty used to it being at a certain level, the first time I locked the car with the new hood it scared the shit out of me.

I have started to make plans to get the exhaust on the car as well as the intake.
That's hilarious. It's funny though because it could be possible lol.

But that app looks nice. Must be perks of the App store.. don't have anything like that for my Android. Could've came in handy when I had my Berk. Really want to heard that Amuse exhaust

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I'll be the first to admit I'm not crazy about the ZE40. Doesn't look as good as the CE or TE to me. It's a wheel that looks great on some cars and just meh on others. Everything looks good on CEs and TEs.
My favorite ZE40 car so far has been a E46 M3.
What I like about the ZE40s is that it's something new, although the CEs and TEs are classics. I love how the aggressive face looks on the ZEs and have been dreaming of a matte blue set for my berlina but don't think that would ever happen lol
Old 01-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Was very cold last night. But I think with the bumper and hood there is definitely an improvement in stability under high speed braking. It is probably placebo but the car feels different to me now with the hood on. I am looking forward to getting the OEM hood back so I can weigh it to see exactly how much weight has been cut from the front end. I believe the OEM hood is about 20lbs with the insulation and everything so that would be about 12lbs saved, which puts me at an estimated 105lbs removed from the car so far.

The VTEC changeover is so much louder especially through the mountains bouncing off the rock walls. Pretty dramatic increase in sound coming into the cabin. I have driven a few cars with the K&N intake and while that dramatically increases VTEC changeover sound, it is a bit more bassy and muffled compared to this. It is just a really crisp mechanical sound.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:16 PM

Also came up with a good solution for mounting the windshield washer tubing. The plastic clips that normally hold the tubing are designed to clip into square openings on the hood. I should be able to easily trim the pegs that normally clip into the openings and mount them to the Amuse hood using some 3M automotive mounting tape. Just waiting to get the mounting tape in.

It really is amazing not only how much lighter this hood is, but how much stiffer it is than the OEM aluminum one. It is very satisfying to lift the hood up and push the hood closed with essentially zero flex.

My custom mounted Amuse bumper grill tabs have also now been tested to 130mph.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be a placebo effect, but Amuse did put a lot of testing into that hood so I'm not surprised that you can feel a difference. Small differences are noticeable in our cars. For example, I can tell when one of my tires has a different tire pressure than the other, it's really obvious. That's just as an example.

I would be interested to see what temperature changes you are seeing with the new hood. Can you hear the radiator fan click on and off? Did you notice if it doesn't stay on for as long?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hood looks awesome. As you joked, your car could really pass as a stock car to someone not in the know and for that I love how your car looks at this stage. Aggressive and functional but not modified looking necessarily.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhyW
It could be a placebo effect, but Amuse did put a lot of testing into that hood so I'm not surprised that you can feel a difference. Small differences are noticeable in our cars. For example, I can tell when one of my tires has a different tire pressure than the other, it's really obvious. That's just as an example.

I would be interested to see what temperature changes you are seeing with the new hood. Can you hear the radiator fan click on and off? Did you notice if it doesn't stay on for as long?
I regret not doing some data logs with the stock hood on, but unfortunately all the times I could have recorded a log the ambient temps were fluctuating a lot, so I didn't think it would be very good data.

There is plenty of heat coming out of the vent even when the car is at idle or was just switched off. Once temps get back into the 70s I will do some data logging with the new hood to see what sort of water temps I am getting.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks perfect. So very clean, simple, yet functional. And I'm sure quality and attention to detail is right up there.
Extremely jealous haha... That said - I'm always wondering if I should coat my wing somehow but the dry carbon feels so good ahah. I'm guessing your hood has every spot covered? Dry carbon maintanence is a bit of a hassle... I don't think the car would look as clean if it wasn't sprayed hmm...

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II