Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome thread!! I seem to be heading in a similar direction.

Just picked up some Ohlins DFV and CE28's. Your build is inspiring! See you at buttonwillow/thunderhill.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
looks beautiful. I have a feeling that gold won't stay on the tip for long though. A track day or two will probably start to turn the gold to purple.
The Amuse exhausts tips are not heat treated. They are colored to look like they are but they are done with a chemical process. Titanium is very difficult to polish out to a mirror shine, and it's even harder to keep it from oxidizing. So Amuse solves that problem by electroplating the exhaust tip, and then electroplating color over top of the 'chromeish' finish. The exact description that I've found on Amuse adds reads as follows:

"The titanium is treated with chemicals and electrolysis processing to create a natural burning blue color."

As the tips don't get nearly hot enough to discolor I sincerely doubt they are going to fade or change. The biggest issue is going to be keeping it clean and spotless without fading the color. Look at used Amuse exhausts piping, specifically the bends. They tend to change color in the high heat areas to a blue/purpleish color, but it's nowhere near as bright and vivid as the coloring on the tips. Even the metal on the rest of the exhaust is not the same finish as the tips. I took a ton of pictures of my exhaust which I will have up shortly. I'm basically running the dual version of Andrews otherwise ours are identical, even down to the coloration of the tips. Mine is the 70mm option, I'm not sure what size his is.

Andrew, is yours the 60mm version? Why did you pick up the J's bushings? Are they longer than the factory ones?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1420096024' post='23452831
looks beautiful. I have a feeling that gold won't stay on the tip for long though. A track day or two will probably start to turn the gold to purple.
The Amuse exhausts tips are not heat treated. They are colored to look like they are but they are done with a chemical process. Titanium is very difficult to polish out to a mirror shine, and it's even harder to keep it from oxidizing. So Amuse solves that problem by electroplating the exhaust tip, and then electroplating color over top of the 'chromeish' finish. The exact description that I've found on Amuse adds reads as follows:

"The titanium is treated with chemicals and electrolysis processing to create a natural burning blue color."

As the tips don't get nearly hot enough to discolor I sincerely doubt they are going to fade or change. The biggest issue is going to be keeping it clean and spotless without fading the color. Look at used Amuse exhausts piping, specifically the bends. They tend to change color in the high hear areas to a blue/purpleish color, but it's nowhere need are bright and vivid as the coloring on the tips. Even the metal on the rest of the exhaust is not the same finish as the tips. I took a ton of pictures of my exhaust which I will have up shortly.

Andrew, is yours the 60mm version? Why did you pick up the J's bushings? Are they longer than the factory ones?
Thanks for the info.

The J's bushings are stiffer rubber to keep the exhaust from shifting and flexing around as much. Decided to try them out to see if they might help with durability and any fitment issues along with stiffer engine and tranny mounts I also plan on using.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 AM

Stupid holiday season is killing me with this hood situation.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I'm very surprised it's taking this long. Do they give you periodic updates? Has anything been done yet?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 226 Likes on 143 Posts

Beautiful exhaust, sir.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1420096024' post='23452831

As the tips don't get nearly hot enough to discolor I sincerely doubt they are going to fade or change. The biggest issue is going to be keeping it clean and spotless without fading the color. Look at used Amuse exhausts piping, specifically the bends. They tend to change color in the high heat areas to a blue/purpleish color, but it's nowhere near as bright and vivid as the coloring on the tips. Even the metal on the rest of the exhaust is not the same finish as the tips. I took a ton of pictures of my exhaust which I will have up shortly. I'm basically running the dual version of Andrews otherwise ours are identical, even down to the coloration of the tips. Mine is the 70mm option, I'm not sure what size his is.

Good info Feezy It also looks like the outer wall of the tip only connects to the inner wall at the end of the tip (it is floating where the tip traditionally connects to the piping), which probably helps as well.

Tips in general DO get hot enough to discolor though--like i said, depends on EGT, but i've seen it plenty of times. Especially when the car is in track mode at high RPM for 20 minutes at a time. There are many examples of this happening, mostly on single-walled tips, which i imagine is harder to do on double walled tips due to heat distribution.

Also, the Greddy/Gotuning SE exhausts with the blue tips are coated to appear like a burnt titanium too. Not sure if it is the same process that Amuse uses, but the silver part of the greddy tips change color, though they connect to the piping at both ends of the tip. They also happen to be double-walled, but the inner wall of that tip is perforated, i believe to aid in sound suppression, so that may also be a reason why the greddy tip gets hotter and changes color.

Either way, to Amuse for creating a 'burt' tip that won't discolor.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyW
Originally Posted by andrewhake
I'm very surprised it's taking this long. Do they give you periodic updates? Has anything been done yet?
Yeah I have gotten lots of updates, most of the waiting has just been waiting for the materials to come in, and it overlapped with plenty of holidays. I am hoping the car can go into the shop this next week to get the hood fitted and some areas of the front bumper fixed up a bit, as well as all the grill pieces powder coated as was planned from the beginning.

The shop has been cool with everything just a bit of over promising and under delivering but for the right reasons.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

nice exhaust!!! hope to see updates soon!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM

Here's some close up shots of the exhaust tip:

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II