Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
not knocking your unscientific comparison. real world performance can vary amongts cars, despite having similar, even the same mods though. back in younger, more reckless years, one of my cars used to absolutely demolish my friends' and others' similarly & much more equipped cars (same models). i only had very basic bolt-ons. some were even pretty ghetto/DIY (intake). one of the mods was what turned out to be a mythical header. the primaries were essentially crush bent/pinched at the collector and the piping was tiny. not many headers were out on the market, in general, but i ran across guys throughout NorCal & SoCal w/DC Fabrication (DC Sports) headers, dual carbs, headwork, cams, etc, etc. I literally lost 3 races total over several years on the streets and track. two were to friends that i had given 2-3 cars and the jump. they had the same model car w/30 more hp stock as well. the third loss was to a guy from SoCal that i found out later had nitrous and headwork. he wouldn't run me back to back because his friend told me later that his bottle was empty. lol

anyways, forgive me if i'm pointing out something obvious, but again, the performance of even similarly equipped cars of the same model can vary greatly. taking driver ability & error out of the equation, the strength and health of each motor is a big factor. people used to joke that I had a Tuesday made car. haha

i'm still fairly new to the s2k, but from what i've read and heard, there isn't one truly great (worthwhile) header. spending literally thousands on a super JDM House header, exhaust, and even cams is pointless to ME. i prefer staying N/A too, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when used S/C kits can be had for the same and even less.
Ameer is well aware of all that, just trying to provide the data that he can, but all good.

Header is definitely not pointless, if you are looking to absolutely optimize an NA setup. And shedding some weight anywhere between the front wheels and cabin is definitely a good thing. It's got to be thought of as a package, everything does. People think I am silly finding ways to remove 10lbs here and there, not so much once I have removed well over 150lbs and still have a perfectly steetable car.

Also, I would be lying if I didn't say the main reason I want IHE in the first place is the sound.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1419972972' post='23451481
The Toda/ASM header definitely sounds nice. The exhaust will not sound as deep with it though.
Sounds way better with it. More F1 like. Less deep.

Added massive benfit: Almost zero god damn drone. The thing is almost too perfect.
Hearing that made me very happy.

EXHAUST ARRIVES TOMORROW f@#kERS.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Can't wait to see the high quality wooden floor photos we have come to love so much
Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you'll like the sound. It's definitely a more clean and smooth sound to me compared to OEM header. I think the Mugen header is kind of similar in sound too while the J's header really seems to maintain the deep sound.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419974462' post='23451519
not knocking your unscientific comparison. real world performance can vary amongts cars, despite having similar, even the same mods though. back in younger, more reckless years, one of my cars used to absolutely demolish my friends' and others' similarly & much more equipped cars (same models). i only had very basic bolt-ons. some were even pretty ghetto/DIY (intake). one of the mods was what turned out to be a mythical header. the primaries were essentially crush bent/pinched at the collector and the piping was tiny. not many headers were out on the market, in general, but i ran across guys throughout NorCal & SoCal w/DC Fabrication (DC Sports) headers, dual carbs, headwork, cams, etc, etc. I literally lost 3 races total over several years on the streets and track. two were to friends that i had given 2-3 cars and the jump. they had the same model car w/30 more hp stock as well. the third loss was to a guy from SoCal that i found out later had nitrous and headwork. he wouldn't run me back to back because his friend told me later that his bottle was empty. lol

anyways, forgive me if i'm pointing out something obvious, but again, the performance of even similarly equipped cars of the same model can vary greatly. taking driver ability & error out of the equation, the strength and health of each motor is a big factor. people used to joke that I had a Tuesday made car. haha

i'm still fairly new to the s2k, but from what i've read and heard, there isn't one truly great (worthwhile) header. spending literally thousands on a super JDM House header, exhaust, and even cams is pointless to ME. i prefer staying N/A too, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when used S/C kits can be had for the same and even less.
Ameer is well aware of all that, just trying to provide the data that he can, but all good.

Header is definitely not pointless, if you are looking to absolutely optimize an NA setup. And shedding some weight anywhere between the front wheels and cabin is definitely a good thing. It's got to be thought of as a package, everything does. People think I am silly finding ways to remove 10lbs here and there, not so much once I have removed well over 150lbs and still have a perfectly steetable car.

Also, I would be lying if I didn't say the main reason I want IHE in the first place is the sound.
agreed, don't think i pointed out anything revolutionary, but i do think people don't recognize how significant the variance can be between seeming similar, even stock, cars of the same model.

additionally, my perspective is that trying to squeeze out more N/A hp in the s2k is not a great idea for the *masses*. granted, the s2k's power is enough for the average owner anyway, but for most s2k enthusiasts, spending $2k-3k for 25 hp (being optimistic here) is crazy.

yes, maintaining overall drivability and reliability, which includes keeping good balance and a usable powerband, is highly desirable. again, i'd like to stay N/A too, but for my needs, i'm willing to circumvent the uber expensive, N/A experiment, *which may or may not yield any decent hp*, and go straight for a S/C kit. i know going S/C might open a Pandora's Box full of other tradeoffs & problems, incl added weight, increased heat, broken axles, tranny/gears, and motor issues, but several of the latter are pitfalls that the hardcore N/A enthusiasts will encounter too.

p.s. edited previous reply for content & format. apologies for the omnipresent lack of caps and proper grammar. often post from my phone. not doing so now, but on my lunch.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the additional valve train noise you get from the lighter headers too. OEM is double wall and cuts down on it considerably. I made a video for my friend's exhaust, car has the revised Toda header and you can absolutely tell at idle lol.

http://youtu.be/KqShDM4NrIk
Old 12-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Can't wait to see the high quality wooden floor photos we have come to love so much
I mean I guess I can take photos, I wasn't really planning on it..
Old 12-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

hahah you will take pics of a new tool transporter but not of fancy exhaust. not sure if serious
Old 12-30-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to unwrap it with six hands while wearing gloves
Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Geez... When you get all this stuff done to your S, I'm going to request for a ride!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II