Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1419960994' post='23451271
I was talking about the flashpro. I also have a toda header. With a tune I highly recommend. Thing is great.
I was pretty surprised to get any top end gains with just a FlashPro and tune and nothing else. I gained nearly 12hp top end.
I have never been to a dyno, but just casual races with friends (nearly all my friends own this car) from the past and after yields very little pull in a 1/4. we're talking maybe half a car in a 1/4 if that. Yes I realize this is not scientific, sue me.

Was pretty disappointed. Driving the car though you'd swear it had a ton more power. Still worth the price of admission.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1419961134' post='23451274
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1419960709' post='23451256']
Since you have been doing reasearch.....Is the hytech header still available? ???
Not sure. That thing is way overhyped in my opinion.
Were they? ? I always thought they made the most midrange. ...you have probably seen this....http://blacktrax.blogspot.com/2011/0...eader.html?m=1
[/quote]

You definitely don't want the Hytech. I may/may not have to sell my header or remove it for the challenge next year to fit into mod class. It may be for sale in the next few weeks. Which is going to be lame but I won't just have it sit here for a year unused.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1419961134' post='23451274
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1419960709' post='23451256']
Since you have been doing reasearch.....Is the hytech header still available? ???
Not sure. That thing is way overhyped in my opinion.
Were they? ? I always thought they made the most midrange. ...you have probably seen this....http://blacktrax.blogspot.com/2011/0...eader.html?m=1
[/quote]

I don't doubt that it does it's job, but when it really comes down to it, comparing it to the Comptech header with tune and similar exhaust that gains aren't really different compared to what Toda managed from their own standard header and their updated version.

There just isn't enough good data out there to accurately compare, and in the grand scheme of things I trust Toda to have put the time in not only bench testing on an engine dyno but also doing real world testing, and then more real world testing by ASM to make it even better. Nobody has real world motorsports experience like Toda.

I don't doubt the Hytech is a good design, but I also don't like the idea of a multi-piece manifold, and I prefer to have the option to run the cat if I want.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 AM

^ Yep. Nearly all of the top-tier japanese tuning shops run Toda engines. That's not without a reason.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by s2sik
on my toda header: untuned, on a back to back dyno, I lost ~2 peak HP, and gained ~4 mid range HP.
Similar results to a local f24 that did a back to back tuned dyno comparison of OEM vs the torkiekun, OEM made more power up top, toda made some additional power in mid range though
Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Damn these posts are getting me back on a header kick. I always wanted the Toda...
Old 12-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The Toda/ASM header definitely sounds nice. The exhaust will not sound as deep with it though.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
The Toda/ASM header definitely sounds nice. The exhaust will not sound as deep with it though.
Sounds way better with it. More F1 like. Less deep.

Added massive benfit: Almost zero god damn drone. The thing is almost too perfect.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1419961210' post='23451277
[quote name='Sebring AP1' timestamp='1419960994' post='23451271']
I was talking about the flashpro. I also have a toda header. With a tune I highly recommend. Thing is great.
I was pretty surprised to get any top end gains with just a FlashPro and tune and nothing else. I gained nearly 12hp top end.
I have never been to a dyno, but just casual races with friends (nearly all my friends own this car) from the past and after yields very little pull in a 1/4. we're talking maybe half a car in a 1/4 if that. Yes I realize this is not scientific, sue me.

Was pretty disappointed. Driving the car though you'd swear it had a ton more power. Still worth the price of admission.
[/quote]

not knocking your unscientific comparison. real world performance can vary amongst cars, despite having similar, even idential mods though. back in my younger years, one of my cars used to absolutely demolish my friends' and others' similarly & much more equipped cars (same models) on the streets AND track (drag and roadcourse/HPDEs). i only had very basic bolt-ons and suspension work. some were even pretty ghetto/DIY (intake). one of the mods was what turned out to be a mythical header. the primaries were essentially crush bent/pinched at the collector and the piping was tiny. not many headers were out on the market, in general, but i ran across guys throughout NorCal & SoCal w/DC Fabrication (DC Sports) headers, dual carbs, headwork, cams, etc, etc. I literally lost 3 races total over several years on the streets and track. two were to friends that i had given 2-3 cars and the jump. they had the same model car w/30 more hp stock as well. the third loss was to a guy from SoCal that i found out later had nitrous and headwork. he wouldn't run me back to back because his friend told me later that his bottle was empty. lol

on roadcourses for open trackdays & HPDEs, my car would more than hold its own too. at Laguna for one event, my instructor drove my car, which only had single way adjustable shocks,(cut) aftermarket springs, and my friend's car that had a fully built Comptech motor w/dual carbs, custom valved Bilstein shocks, custom springs, and front and rear swaybars. My instructor said my car handled way better and more neutral. granted, we had different wheel & tire setups, but i used to hear similar comments from others when comparing my car to ones that had more similar footwork setups.

anyways, forgive me if i'm pointing out something obvious, but again, the performance of even similarly equipped cars of the same model can vary greatly. taking driver ability & error out of the equation, the strength and health of each motor is a big factor. people used to joke that I had a Tuesday made car. haha

i'm still fairly new to the s2k, but from what i've read and heard, there isn't one truly great (worthwhile) header. spending literally thousands on a super JDM House header, exhaust, and even cams is pointless to ME. i prefer staying N/A too, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when used S/C kits can be had for the same and even less.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
PERFECT!

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II