Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah all of my baseline runs were essentially dead on the same.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyW
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1419736922' post='23449109
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1419734213' post='23449088']
i've seen several authentic Mugens up close. no debate that their quality control and overall product, incl fit & finish, are unmatched. but having seen quality reps up close, i would cave and get the rep Mugen. if my S were a showcar or i planned to use the hardtop more than i would the soft top, i would get a real Mugen. the fact that the real ones come w/OEM hardware and seals are good selling point though.

btw, not to flex on anyone, but my friends and i have been buying & selling brand new Mugen and other "jdm" parts before many of you heard of them or were driving. <al bundy mode off>

still kicking myself for not buying some new M7s or MR5s when they were as cheap as RPF1s. i passed to get some other "jdm" wheels that were less common. Mugens were pretty easy to get back then.
Again. I have seen what people call "quality" reps. They are absolute crap. The difference between them might seem small to some, but it is massive to people who understand the CF construction process. If someone actually made a good Mugen replica, no way in hell would I ever buy one. It's a matter of showing respect to good engineering and those that put in the effort.

You and your friends massively underestimate how long some people have been involved in an interested in the Honda world if you think you are special.
For every person that says reps rival authentic pieces, I have a whole library of photos of reps that fit like $h!t.
[/quote]

reading is fundamental.

on a serious note, this hardtop situation is getting ridiculous. salvagers won't even bother parting out cars when they can just flip an OEM hardtop for more than the price of a whole one. yes, i'm kidding. well, not really.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
on a serious note, this hardtop situation is getting ridiculous. salvagers won't even bother parting out cars when they can just flip an OEM hardtop for more than the price of a whole one. yes, i'm kidding. well, not really.
It is really ridiculous. Honda would sell a shitload of them if they decided to do another run. That guy in the UK managed to convince them to make more of those floor mats, I wonder what it would take to get more hard tops made?

I have come to a decision for my hard top plans that I think I am going to be really happy with that I am not sure has been done by anyone yet. It ticks the most boxes for me so I think it should be a fantastic setup.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:05 PM

On another note, I just got word that my exhaust has arrived in California! Hoping to take delivery of it this week.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Time for me to start looking into ordering a header so I can get everything fitted as a package as I had planned and bring it into Jei for another tune.

I have been thinking the ASM 07 is the header for me, but have also been considering the J's and Mugen AP2 header. Looking at all the info I could gather, I feel the ASM 07 is designed in a way that goes after the most important gains and I trust that Toda has put it through the most thorough bench testing on well tuned engines. And ASM requested some further improvements in terms of durability. In reality the gains from just a header are relatively small I think compared to a stock car with optimized tune, but the ASM/Toda shows that there are some pretty nice midrange gains to be had with just the header alone. There is also a nice chunk of weight to be saved from an important area of the car.

I plan on installing the header/testpipe/exhaust as a package and having a Jei work his magic again. Ideally I would do that for each individual part but when it really comes down to it I think we would just be duplicating results that everyone has already seen. I think money is better spent optimizing the specific setup I will be running and making sure everything is still working well under partial throttle.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Toda/ASM does make great midrange, wouldn't hesitate to run either. What size exhaust did you end up going with? 63.5? 70?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I put the Ap1 version of the ASM header on the racecar, very high quality piece as expected. I came to the same conclusion as you after all my research a few years ago.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
I put the Ap1 version of the ASM header on the racecar, very high quality piece as expected. I came to the same conclusion as you after all my research a few years ago.
Awesome. Do you think it's worth it to install the test pipe and exhaust and tune, and then install header and tune to get an idea of what the header is doing compared to stock? It seems installing the header is definitely the most time consuming part so maybe that is the simplest way to see exactly what improvements are made? Just a matter of pulling the car off the Dynapacks an extra time I guess.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike' timestamp='1419912352' post='23450784
Awesome. Do you think it's worth it to install the test pipe and exhaust and tune, and then install header and tune to get an idea of what the header is doing compared to stock? It seems installing the header is definitely the most time consuming part so maybe that is the simplest way to see exactly what improvements are made? Just a matter of pulling the car off the Dynapacks an extra time I guess.
I would be very interested to see the results thats for sure. Like everyone has said the OEM header is already pretty decent, and it is believed that there is not much to be gained on the top end if at all. You can swap the header while on the dynapacks, just jack up the front while the rear is attached, we did it all the time.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 321 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by Feezy' timestamp='1419693544' post='23448640
[quote name='//steve\\' timestamp='1419692887' post='23448636']
Killing me on helping make decisions. I've been tempted for a while to do a test pipe and flashpro with tune. Now I'm really thinking about doing it.
It should mandatory on 06+ cars (FlashPro), it makes such a massive difference. I'm really surprised you haven't done it yet.
Lol if you only knew how long he's had that flash pro. This mod was the ultimate display of gloriously executed delayed gratification. I wish I had a 2006. Can't wait for a ride along!!
[/quote]

I have my FlashPro sitting on the floor in my office. I need to get it installed and tuned, but I just haven't had the time.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II