Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Now it's time for us to talk about your serious mis-use of quotation marks.
i think you of all people should be able to understand sarcasm or dry humor. i don't know you personally, but we've both posted on here enough to have enough "material" out there. as wordy as i am, i don't have the time or energy to spell out every thought i have. for most of the "viewing public," those little things serve their purpose.

my bad for getting engrossed in this. it must be karma. lol i'm actually on vacation and killimg time before dinner. again, your thread. i'll go play in my own sandbox.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\' timestamp='1419738789' post='23449123
Even if you aren't going to run the Weds just yet can you throw them on the car so I can see how they look? Please and Thanks
I actually had made a really nice mockup but now I can't seem to find it. I will post it up when I can track it down. It looks good. I like bronze best but I like the idea of being able to switch it up too.

I will do a test fit as well. I am curious how they will look in person myself with the Amuse front.
Sounds good

And the look....

...no reason to worry

I've even been a little tempted myself to sell the CE28s in favor of these given that the size is definitely more fender friendly than the CEs and will still be a lightweight strong wheel that also has BBK clearance. Biggest thing making me hesitate is the fact that they just don't look as good as CEs. It's hard to tell just looking at pics though because this is one of those wheels that really does look 100x better in person than the way they picture while the CEs just simple always look good whether seeing a picture or viewing them in person.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1419738477' post='23449120
i think you of all people should be able to understand sarcasm or dry humor. i don't know you personally, but we've both posted on here enough to have enough "material" out there. as wordy as i am, i don't have the time or energy to spell out every thought i have. for most of the "viewing public," those little things serve their purpose.

my bad for getting engrossed in this. it must be karma. i'm actually on vacation and killimg time before dinner. again, your thread. i'll go play in my own sandbox.
One more thing, hahaha.. You need to move your build thread from the Bay Area forum to the Build section where it belongs.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 PM

I had a great run with a friend of mine in his S13 last night that really got me thinking about how damn good the S2000 is to drive in the mountains. I was following him on a section of road that I know and have driven, but is a section he takes home nearly everyday and knows it better than anyone I know. Even though my S2000 is quite a bit faster overall, I had to push pretty hard because of his knowledge of the road and his ability as a driver. We had one of those runs that left both of us really damn happy as they can be pretty rare. Especially when you just sort of come across each other at random in the mountains.

The S2000 is so good in so many different ways, I could just pick and choose how I wanted to close the gaps that would develop between us. I could outbrake, brake less, get him on turn-in, or sacrifice corner entry for a better corner exit. I was even experimenting staying in a higher gear than I normally would use and the new midrange power allowed me to keep up momentum no problem. Upshifting and being up an extra 200rpm from what I am used to seems small but it is massive when pushing the car hard uphill.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419740156' post='23449141
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1419738477' post='23449120']

my bad for getting engrossed in this. it must be karma. i'm actually on vacation and killimg time before dinner. again, your thread. i'll go play in my own sandbox.
One more thing, hahaha.. You need to move your build thread from the Bay Area forum to the Build section where it belongs.
[/quote]

yours must've been the second Bay Area Deputy Doo Dog Mod badge pinning ceremony that i've missed this year! lol

my thread wasn't/isn't really intended as a build thread. i agree it's crossed over to one, but i really just use it to post my unmapped purchases that often coincide various excursions within NorCal & SoCal.

i didn't come back here for more verbal sparring though. i offer a "peace offering".... looks like someone just posted an OEM top in the main FS section. $5000.... w/out shipping or Paypal fees. oh, it's GPW, so you'll have to paint it too. "you're welcome."
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
yours must've been the second Bay Area Deputy Doo Dog Mod badge pinning ceremony that i've missed this year! lol

my thread wasn't/isn't really intended as a build thread. i agree it's crossed over to one, but i really just use it to post my unmapped purchases that often coincide various excursions within NorCal & SoCal.

i didn't come back here for more verbal sparring though. i offer a "peace offering".... looks like someone just posted an OEM top in the main FS section. $5000.... w/out shipping or Paypal fees. oh, it's GPW, so you'll have to paint it too. "you're welcome."
It is a build thread.

Wow someone is trying to out-Rick Rick with a price like that. "Thanks".
Old 12-28-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419745883' post='23449189

It is a build thread.

Wow someone is trying to out-Rick Rick with a price like that. "Thanks".
I didn't know it was possible to out-Rick Rick....
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM

Here is that Weds mockup I was talking about.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419734213' post='23449088
i've seen several authentic Mugens up close. no debate that their quality control and overall product, incl fit & finish, are unmatched. but having seen quality reps up close, i would cave and get the rep Mugen. if my S were a showcar or i planned to use the hardtop more than i would the soft top, i would get a real Mugen. the fact that the real ones come w/OEM hardware and seals are good selling point though.

btw, not to flex on anyone, but my friends and i have been buying & selling brand new Mugen and other "jdm" parts before many of you heard of them or were driving. <al bundy mode off>

still kicking myself for not buying some new M7s or MR5s when they were as cheap as RPF1s. i passed to get some other "jdm" wheels that were less common. Mugens were pretty easy to get back then.
Again. I have seen what people call "quality" reps. They are absolute crap. The difference between them might seem small to some, but it is massive to people who understand the CF construction process. If someone actually made a good Mugen replica, no way in hell would I ever buy one. It's a matter of showing respect to good engineering and those that put in the effort.

You and your friends massively underestimate how long some people have been involved in an interested in the Honda world if you think you are special.
For every person that says reps rival authentic pieces, I have a whole library of photos of reps that fit like $h!t.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
Do the numbers read higher or lower when the water isn't used and/or when the water is hot?

I had my car on a dynapack that had the water being recirculated into a tank, but there was no attempt at cooling the water in the tank - after about an hour of using the dyno the water in the tank was boiling and we had to wait an hour for it to cool down

There's another local shop that just runs water in from a hose and then dumps the exit water down the drain - big waste of water

Sorry I'm late on this but...

From my Testing on a dynapack 4000, with a spec miata with zero physical changes the numbers were a solid 12-13% higher just before the overheating alarm vs the first cold run. I basically gained 1HP per run. All things were the same, IAT's ECT's etc etc this test was completed in less than an hour with 18 consecutive runs. This characteristic was 100% repeatable and with the main clients being SM racers the test subjects were about as identical as you can get. The viscosity of the shearing fluid/oil in the pack changes making the illusion of more power, and unfortunately there was no fluid temp sensor or compensation factor for this which in my mind would be an easy fix. Repeated calls to dynapack went no where

We ran water from a hose to drain outside, which I suppose is a waste but here in NE we don't have any issues with drought.

All of this being said if you have a knowledgable operator and use a consistent cooling hold period before each run, the back to back runs are dead nuts repeatable. I could make runs on the same car in polar opposite conditions 90*F and 89% humidity vs 43* 30% H and the numbers would be within 1-2%

On the hardtop note my vote is for the Challange CF top

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II