Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-27-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyW
Your thread is why I bought Pmu pads and RE11a's. I love your thought processes, and take your opinion very seriously. So I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad you have a build thread

In regards to switching back and forth between a staggered and square setup... Did you get a front sway bar? Would you run a staggered setup with a front sway? Just curious. I put my front sway (Eibach) on at the same time as my Ohlins so I have a hard time noticing exactly what the front sway did for me.
I haven't gotten sway bars yet. I am leaning towards the ASM bars because I can run them in a way that will make sense for both staggered and non-staggered setups and they should work well in the rain as well. More for the adjustability than anything. I am pretty happy with the staggered balance of the car as is. I am going to try out square with the Weds, and see if I think more front roll center correction will be needed. And probably add swaybars sometime soon after that. The stock AP2 bars work well in all conditions, but stiffer bars could definitely help out on a dry track.

You should swap back on the OEM bar now that you have got used to the Ohlins and test it out and then swap back to the Eibach and see what differences you notice. The nice thing with sway bars is the relatively easy installation and removable compared to most suspension parts.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419618626' post='23448055
i understand your reluctance to post an estimate on the tuning session. i'll just contact Jei/Blacktrax when i'm ready (if i don't get it done in SoCal).

as for your top dilemma, i've been going back and forth about it too. my primary concern is i doubt i'll use it very much. i bought my s2k for what it was intended, to be used as a droptop. i don't drive it much, besides occasional weekends. the hardtop would basically be an aesthetic mod for me. i've passed on several OEM top deals for that reason.

to me, sounds like you won't be happy w/anything except an OEM. can't beat the fit, finish, & visibility. imo, the lines of the Mugen are much more flattering. the OEM looks like a Miata (sorry, Miata folks). i've seen authentic Mugens though, and the weaves on them aren't that great. i know a lot of people don't like reps, but a rep Mugen would be just about the only rep product i'd put on my S. i actually went to buy one shortly after getting my S, but had to have the vendor uninstall it before leaving the shop. there was a small flaw in the finish, and the fitment was a little off.

it's too bad that Ballade has been so unresponsive about their CF OEMs. i considered it as well.

i'm not a fan of the Amuse. it looks very awkward to me.
If you think the CF on an authentic Mugen top doesn't look that great I question whether or not you have actually seen an Authentic CF Mugen top.
i've seen several authentic Mugens up close. no debate that their quality control and overall product, incl fit & finish, are unmatched. but having seen quality reps up close, i would cave and get the rep Mugen. the trick is handpicking a "good" rep. quality & fit are very inconsistent and can vary from unit to unit. same can be said for real Mugens, but their production methods and QC are much more refined.

if my S were a showcar or i planned to use the hardtop more than i would the soft top, i would get a real Mugen. the fact that the real ones come w/OEM hardware and seals are a good selling point though.

btw, not to flex on anyone, but my friends and i have been buying & selling brand new Mugen and other "jdm" parts before many of you heard of them or were driving. <al bundy mode off>

still kicking myself for not buying some new M7s or MR5s when they were as cheap as RPF1s. i passed to get some other "jdm" wheels that were less common. Mugens were pretty easy to get back then.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:49 PM

hmm, i'll definitely have to get Jei/Blacktrax or another competent tuner to dial in my Flashpro. the semi-off the shelf one Jei was kind enough to provide me is nice, but my right foot needs more. i'm a little spoiled having had boosted & larger displacement cars. the Flashpro really is a nice upgrade though. love that it got rid of the pesky secondary O2 sensor CEL, due to my Berk HFC.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
i've seen several authentic Mugens up close. no debate that their quality control and overall product, incl fit & finish, are unmatched. but having seen quality reps up close, i would cave and get the rep Mugen. if my S were a showcar or i planned to use the hardtop more than i would the soft top, i would get a real Mugen. the fact that the real ones come w/OEM hardware and seals are good selling point though.

btw, not to flex on anyone, but my friends and i have been buying & selling brand new Mugen and other "jdm" parts before many of you heard of them or were driving. <al bundy mode off>

still kicking myself for not buying some new M7s or MR5s when they were as cheap as RPF1s. i passed to get some other "jdm" wheels that were less common. Mugens were pretty easy to get back then.
Again. I have seen what people call "quality" reps. They are absolute crap. The difference between them might seem small to some, but it is massive to people who understand the CF construction process. If someone actually made a good Mugen replica, no way in hell would I ever buy one. It's a matter of showing respect to good engineering and those that put in the effort.

You and your friends massively underestimate how long some people have been involved in an interested in the Honda world if you think you are special.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1419734213' post='23449088
i've seen several authentic Mugens up close. no debate that their quality control and overall product, incl fit & finish, are unmatched. but having seen quality reps up close, i would cave and get the rep Mugen. if my S were a showcar or i planned to use the hardtop more than i would the soft top, i would get a real Mugen. the fact that the real ones come w/OEM hardware and seals are good selling point though.

Again. I have seen what people call "quality" reps. They are absolute crap. The difference between them might seem small to some, but it is massive to people who understand the CF construction process. If someone actually made a good Mugen replica, no way in hell would I ever buy one. It's a matter of showing respect to good engineering and those that put in the effort.

You and your friends massively underestimate how long some people have been involved in an interested in the Honda world if you think you are special.
i'm not going to engage in another rep vs authentic debate. as an established "collector" & reseller of NIKE & Air Jordan shoes and frequent buyer of other quality items, i'm well aware of the furor over counterfeits & reps. i have friends that are corporate attorneys that deal w/IP issues, as well. i think i've seen you or someone else mention that you're employed by a well known tech company, so i imagine you have certain views on the subject too. no need to further an IP or moral debate on the topic.

in any case, MY stand is that i've seen real Mugen and rep Mugens. the best examples of both litters leave me thinking that for MY $$$, the real Mugen is not any better or suiting MY specific needs. that is my view though. this is your thread, which includes your search for a suitable hardtop. as such, i will leave my comments to that.

as for your latter statements, they seem misconstrued, so i'll just take a pass here too. i don't need to lay out my or my friends' e-credentials or more tangible ones. what i was merely trying to say is that, yes, i've seen authentic mugens in person and am also familiar w/the mystique and perceived value they and other authentic "jdm" products have. carry on.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Now it's time for us to talk about your serious mis-use of quotation marks.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Even if you aren't going to run the Weds just yet can you throw them on the car so I can see how they look? Please and Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

To throw wrench in your thinking.........FRP Mugen?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Even if you aren't going to run the Weds just yet can you throw them on the car so I can see how they look? Please and Thanks
I actually had made a really nice mockup but now I can't seem to find it. I will post it up when I can track it down. It looks good. I like bronze best but I like the idea of being able to switch it up too.

I will do a test fit as well. I am curious how they will look in person myself with the Amuse front.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by maranelloboy05
To throw wrench in your thinking.........FRP Mugen?
I was pretty close to picking up an FRP Mugen since ICB has one available. But I decided i just prefer the OEM design to the Mugen.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II