Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I was under the impression the Toyota glass window for the Amuse top isn't available and I didn't think the one for sale included it unless we are talking about different tops.

Personally I say just snag the next good condition OEM top you can find. If you have to repaint it no big deal. You've already painted other parts. IF you go this route pull the window seals and the black window trim off before paint. My last top was painted around those and it didn't come out as clean as it would have if I had removed those components.

Real Carbon Mugen top is beautiful in person. I thought some of the reps looked good in terms of quality and then I saw a real one.

The biggest win to me with the OEM is the big glass rear window. The increased visibility is fantastic.
Toyota glass for Amuse top is available through RSG actually.

Painting an OEM top would end up costing as much if not more than getting the Challenge top I would guess so I don't have much motivation to do that. The Challenge top has definitely been the one I have been leaning towards because it sort of ticks all the boxes. Big OEM rear glass window with defroster, very well made CF, can use all the OEM parts, etc. It is significantly cheaper than the normal cost when just purchasing the shell as well.

Real CF Mugen tops are definitely beautiful in person. The visibility and defroster difference aren't massive deal breakers to me, but I definitely have a slight preference to the OEM and Amuse designs myself.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
i understand your reluctance to post an estimate on the tuning session. i'll just contact Jei/Blacktrax when i'm ready (if i don't get it done in SoCal).

as for your top dilemma, i've been going back and forth about it too. my primary concern is i doubt i'll use it very much. i bought my s2k for what it was intended, to be used as a droptop. i don't drive it much, besides occasional weekends. the hardtop would basically be an aesthetic mod for me. i've passed on several OEM top deals for that reason.

to me, sounds like you won't be happy w/anything except an OEM. can't beat the fit, finish, & visibility. imo, the lines of the Mugen are much more flattering. the OEM looks like a Miata (sorry, Miata folks). i've seen authentic Mugens though, and the weaves on them aren't that great. i know a lot of people don't like reps, but a rep Mugen would be just about the only rep product i'd put on my S. i actually went to buy one shortly after getting my S, but had to have the vendor uninstall it before leaving the shop. there was a small flaw in the finish, and the fitment was a little off.

it's too bad that Ballade has been so unresponsive about their CF OEMs. i considered it as well.

i'm not a fan of the Amuse. it looks very awkward to me.
If you think the CF on an authentic Mugen top doesn't look that great I question whether or not you have actually seen an Authentic CF Mugen top.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 435 Likes on 324 Posts

Which one do you want most? Get that one, even if its more expensive (provided you can afford it); no sense doing things multiple times.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by gbaby2089
Which one do you want most? Get that one, even if its more expensive (provided you can afford it); no sense doing things multiple times.
Trying to figure that out. I did sort of have the though of getting an OEM top and the swapping everything over to a CF challenge shell, so maybe it makes more sense to just get the Challenge top from the start.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you planning on tinting your windows ever??? I ask because obviously you know the lexan windows cant be tinted(at least I dont think) and a Mugen might look odd untinted if you tint the side windows dark on your light colored car. I think black can pull it off that way though.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Are you planning on tinting your windows ever??? I ask because obviously you know the lexan windows cant be tinted(at least I dont think) and a Mugen might look odd untinted if you tint the side windows dark on your light colored car. I think black can pull it off that way though.
Definitely won't be tinting anything.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:22 AM

FlashPro tune is so damn good. It's amazing how such a simple thing can change the car. You really get exactly what the dyno shows. What amazes me most though is the upshifts. Revving it out a little longer and getting rid of that VTEC dip puts the car in such a sweet spot on each upshift. It is so much more responsive it almost feels like the gear ratios are different. Particularly noticeable on the 2 to 3 change and 3 to 4 change. Even if you shift right at 8 or 8200 or so the 5500 to 6000 range is such a damn sweet spot now where it used to be a bit of a dead zone.

If you have a 2006+ S2000 this is an absolute no brainer. It doesn't matter if your car is stock or not, even with a catalytic convert still fitted it is an amazing difference. It's more power exactly where you want it. Having the same engine response you have around 7500 rpm at 5500rpm is wonderful. The entire rev range is so responsive and crisp.

Jei at BlackTrax is the man. Can't wait for my exhaust to come in.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Just wait until you get I/TP/E and lower vtec further. Then the car really becomes alive!! I have vtec at 4200rpm which means I am pretty much always in the power band.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Killing me on helping make decisions. I've been tempted for a while to do a test pipe and flashpro with tune. Now I'm really thinking about doing it.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Killing me on helping make decisions. I've been tempted for a while to do a test pipe and flashpro with tune. Now I'm really thinking about doing it.
It should mandatory on 06+ cars (FlashPro), it makes such a massive difference. I'm really surprised you haven't done it yet.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II