Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Old 12-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1417909148' post='23429160
Andrew what do you torque those nuts to?
85 lb-ft.

I am starting to think it just may be a worn ball joint or end link issue or something like that. The car does have nearly 100k on it now.

That would be nice if that was the case. I'm getting the same clicking from both sides. My car has just under 16k on it so I don't *think* any of the joints have shit the bed yet... but who knows.

I'm heading up to the mountains tomorrow, going to pluck the front hub rings for shits and giggles. Easy enough to rule out I guess.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by av8ter
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1417909218' post='23429162
[quote name='av8ter' timestamp='1417909148' post='23429160']
85 lb-ft.

I am starting to think it just may be a worn ball joint or end link issue or something like that. The car does have nearly 100k on it now.

That would be nice if that was the case. I'm getting the same clicking from both sides. My car has just under 16k on it so I don't *think* any of the joints have shit the bed yet... but who knows.

I'm heading up to the mountains tomorrow, going to pluck the front hub rings for shits and giggles. Easy enough to rule out I guess.
[/quote]

Yeah from the video you showed me it sounds like the same issue for sure. I was actually out last night testing with the hubring removed on only the right hand side, so that wasn't it for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1417909547' post='23429170
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1417909218' post='23429162']
[quote name='av8ter' timestamp='1417909148' post='23429160']
85 lb-ft.

[/quote]

Yeah from the video you showed me it sounds like the same issue for sure. I was actually out last night testing with the hubring removed on only the right hand side, so that wasn't it for me.
[/quote]

Old 12-06-2014, 03:07 PM

After taking the car out last night for some very fun rain sessions, it got me thinking about future suspension changes. I was really thinking I wanted to move to stiffer 12kg/mm springs but seeing how usable my car was with 10kg springs in the heavy rain with lots of standing water, I think my current spring rate is a very good overall balance for my uses. What I do think I could benefit from is more roll stiffness on track and in the dry, so some different sway bars are in order I think. I really like the idea of the ASM bars that I could run at a very similar range to the stock bars on my car now, and 2 different levels stiffer. I really don't want to crazy adjustment ranges that can be had with some of the popular auto-x bars so I think this is the route I will be going.

And man. The car is so damn good in the rain it is silly really. The AD08Rs are so easy to drive in full standing water with the rain still coming down. The transition at the limit is just as linear as it is in the dry and the overall lateral grip and traction is incredible. Great feel under turn-in in the wet. The car is so easy to drift in 3rd gear it is ridiculous. Not in the sense that it is prone to oversteer in the wet, it is just very easy to initiate and maintain a drift and get smooth transitions in and out of a drift.

That said, initiating a drift with the e-brake in an S2000 is always a bit interesting. Most of the time it is possible to initiate using good steering and throttle inputs but some corners using the e-brake is necessary. You have to go so quickly from e-braking to counter steering it takes quite a bit of practice to get right compared to other cars. It is definitely easier in the wet but in the dry with sticky tires you have to do everything incredibly quickly. The amount of speed required to maintain a drift into certain corners is pretty nuts. Really the only corner I frequent than the e-brake is required is this crazy hairpin that I frequent that has about 2 stories of elevation change from top to bottom.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:32 PM

I love how I'm on the opposite side of the country but know exactly which corner you're referring to.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 PM

Decided to model a simpler version of an idea I saw on the ASM time attack car. Side under tray panels with integrated NACA duct for rear brake/hub cooling. The ASM car used additional panels for a near full under tray, but doing just the sides only (from the side to the part of the frame rail that hangs down) would still likely help airflow in and around the front and rear tires quite a lot. I will put together some more complete images to better illustrate exactly how this would work and how it would be installed on the car.

This would probably be pretty expensive just due to the size of the carbon fiber panels that would be needed but it is definitely doable. Hopefully sometime I can try to do this for real. There are actually companies that sell carbon panels that are large enough to do this for a pretty reasonable price.

(Forgive the quality of the images. These are just grabs from the viewport not proper renders)
Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 PM

do you use that program at your job. your petty good at making those stuff
Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by sn0wman
do you use that program at your job. your petty good at making those stuff
Yes. I am more involved in the VFX/animation side of things instead of industrial design though. All this stuff is modeled in Maya.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 AM

Spent some time setting up a real carbon fiber shader.

With clear coat:

Dry carbon:

Pretty fun modeling this and setting up the materials. Just like doing carbon fiber lay up in real life, in 3D you have layout each piece in a pattern that best hides the seams and best fits into the shape of the model.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

never heard of Maya, this is incredibly impressive! in Architecture school we used Rhino, Sketchup, 3ds max but nothing Ive used had such an amazing finished look. love checking in on your thread. Im seeing you are a big fan of the ad08r's i really thought i was set on either the new star specs or new Rs3s, but this makes it a bit difficult. I really would love to see how they fit on a 17x9.5 wheel. ive heard they run the widest out of all the other tires.

Quick Reply: o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II