Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

My First Car and Build - 04 Silverstone

Old Yesterday | 02:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Ian300D
The holed out trunk mount gives me big "Opera" vibes. Nice stuff!
I got the idea from them haha
Old Yesterday | 03:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by awhit17
A lot of people who were here back in the day just don’t like how the Amuse —> R1 Titan takeover went down, and it looks like for the dry Carbon parts they changed the manufacturer to someone who is still good, but not “elite” like the people who did it for Amuse were.

The parts are still nice though, and the exhausts are the same for the S2k since they are made by the same factory.

Your car looks great by the way - but does that Tomei make your ears bleed? Ha
I see. I saw that Benetec was making the original Amuse dry carbon products. I think they are making the Formula S hood. This hardtop definitely looks different than the Benetec stuff. The hardtop had the address of this shop on it: https://ac-cel.jugem.jp/ (not the manufacturer). He seems nice, so I don't think people should hate so much.

And the Tomei with the high flow cat is brutal
Old Yesterday | 03:21 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by trschant
This is an R1 Titan Amuse Dry Carbon Hardtop. Many big-name S2000 people on Instagram hate on R1 Titan, but I think the hardtop is great. The fitment is much better than the Rock Star Garage Amuse Rep Hardtop, and it weighs nothing.
This hardtop is not an Amuse part. The company powerhouse Amuse does not exist anymore. This is a top that's produced by R1 Titan and labeled as an Amuse product. The exact same thing they are doing with the hoods. They are selling these incredibly expensive dry carbon parts under a brand that doesn't exist anymore, and are manufactured in a completely inferior way to the original parts. When you say people are "hating" on R1 Titan you're taking a pretty complex discussion and boiling it down to a buzzword.

Similar to the hoods that R1 sells, this top is not manufactured by the same shop that made the original parts. Unfortunately people didn't realize that these parts were not the same until they shelled out thousands upon thousands of dollars. As most people know the majority of Japanese parts are sub-contracted out to other manufacturers. R1 Titan made the exhausts for Amuse, and if I were to buy another exhaust today it would most likely be from R1 Titan. The situation with their carbon parts is fairly nuanced, but at the end of the day they are selling inferior products, labeled as a brand they are not, for a huge price tag.

Let me just go ahead and quote a few of your critiques and things I see from pictures, and remind you that this top currently has a retail price of $10,000.

I'm using the RSG adjustable brackets.
I got a Plastics 4 Performance window

I'm using a rear seal from Rockstar Garage.
So for the buy in price, you don't get any seals, hardware, glass, or clear coat. I guess all 4 of those can get a pass. I'd expect some of that at this price point, but it could go either way. Clear coat is usually something that's on you. It's expected you'll either do that or paint. Fine, I'm still on board at this point.

The hardtop does not have any threaded inserts. I made a template based on the RSG hardtop and used that to drill the holes. The hardtop contains aluminum plates that you can tap.
Having to drill into your brand new top and tap holes is the first real issue. This is the same problem with their hoods. They come unfinished with a bunch of ugly tabs epoxied into place with a big flat grill for you to just lay in place, while the original hoods have form fitted grills nicely epoxied in place.

The hardtop has some flex in the center, like a car with a sheet metal roof.
Having flex in the center of the top is the second major issue. This again is the same issue that is happening with their hoods. The entire center section is so thin and poorly constructed that at freeway speeds it is parachuting up. This is a gigantic problem for a hood, and honestly unacceptable for a top at this price point. Again, these items are being sold as the originals, which have none of these issue. My Amuse hood is an absolute work of art. Every single part of it is finished and beautiful. It's also very rigid, more rigid than the OEM hood. It has zero flex or deflection when you're lifting it from one side, or when the vehicle is in use at any speed. I'd expect my hardtop to be constructed in a similar fashion. My OEM top doesn't have any flex.

The third issue is the fitment. In all th pictures you posted after you installed the front latches, the front corners have pretty visible gaps. This feels like it's going to have a ton of wind noise. Again, this is similar to the fitment problems their hoods have. The corners on their dry carbon hoods don't fit properly, specifically on the drivers side. Take at look at peoples cars who have an "Amuse" hood.

The last issue is the fit and finish. The underside and that hazing on the size looks really bad, especially at this price point. Again, this is the exact same thing they do with their hood. The entire center section of the under side of the hood is that same material and texture, where the original Amuse pieces are perfect.

When I am purchasing the highest end composite parts I can for my car I expect them to be manufactured properly. I expect the attention to detail that their asking price suggests it will have. I also expect them to be safe and not flexing at normal driving speeds. The reason people have been speaking up on R1 Titan selling low quality parts under the Amuse label is to try and save people from getting screwed. Nobody knew that their hoods were absolute shit until the first few people purchased them and realized they were nothing like the hoods they saw on mine and a few other cars. I can't imagine the feeling of spending that much money on something expecting what you see on my car and receiving the piece that R1 calls the same thing. I was messaged by three separate people that exact situation happened to and it was awful.

The only reason I wrote up any of this is because you boiled all the criticism down to "haters" on the internet, when it couldn't be anything further from that. As long as you're happy with your purchase that's all that matters.