Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red

Old 01-26-2023 | 11:16 AM
10 Year Member

Your car is quite the beauty. One small thing I noticed is regarding the oil temp/pressure sensor. You said it handles both but there is no oil flow, correct? It's just a typical pressure sensor at the end of a line? I would think the temperature would not be very accurate at all since the oil is stagnant. Not sure if I'm missing something but figured I'd mention it. Beautiful car man!
Old 01-26-2023 | 02:52 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Your car is quite the beauty. One small thing I noticed is regarding the oil temp/pressure sensor. You said it handles both but there is no oil flow, correct? It's just a typical pressure sensor at the end of a line? I would think the temperature would not be very accurate at all since the oil is stagnant. Not sure if I'm missing something but figured I'd mention it. Beautiful car man!
To be honest I don't know. My Fab guy forgot to include the resistor in the harness to get the Oil Temp to read properly. What you said though makes a lot of sense to me, and it should have been something I thought about before I made the decision to utilize the combined sensor. Worse comes to worse and the oil temp isn't as accurate as what I want/need I'll just add the sensor into the pan and run it into one of the I/O ports on the ECU. While we're being honest it's probably very unnecessary for me as well with this car being a street car, but I wanted to add it while I was changing things. That's a really good call out, I'll update this once I get the pieces necessary to get this up an running. They should be here this weekend.
Old 01-26-2023 | 03:06 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
This is the nicest, most complete S2000 in the country. Very, very good updates.

I also may steal the Steel-It method for my brake calipers. I don’t mind the OEM brakes and need smaller calipers for my various wheels, but the Steel-It just really looks nice.

Great work. Genuinely great.
@TsukubaCody I just want to let you know that should you ever decide to part with those CP035s I will take the best care of them possible and treat them as if they were my own.
Old 01-26-2023 | 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Feezy
@TsukubaCody I just want to let you know that should you ever decide to part with those CP035s I will take the best care of them possible and treat them as if they were my own.
If they ever go away, you’re first on the list.

But I promise you I’m not planning on ever parting with them.
The following users liked this post:
Feezy (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023 | 06:59 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
If they ever go away, you’re first on the list.

But I promise you I’m not planning on ever parting with them.
Good, they look phenomenal on your car.
TsukubaCody (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023 | 03:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Feezy
While we're being honest it's probably very unnecessary for me as well with this car being a street car, but I wanted to add it while I was changing things. That's a really good call out, I'll update this once I get the pieces necessary to get this up an running. They should be here this weekend.
Ya for sure.. def not necessary for a NA street car to have a temp sensor. Just figured I'd mention it.

I've been slacking on working on my car but seeing this beauty gives me some inspiration to get off my ass.
Feezy (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023 | 04:03 PM
20 Year Member

Ya for sure.. def not necessary for a NA street car to have a temp sensor. Just figured I'd mention it.

I've been slacking on working on my car but seeing this beauty gives me some inspiration to get off my ass.
The connector came in this afternoon. I threw some loom on it and repinned the ECU side. Set it up in the ECU and it's functional. Going out this weekend and I'm going to log the runs and see how it behaves.
Old 02-01-2023 | 06:51 AM
20 Year Member

Looks like you're right. I got the new parts, added some looming and heat shrink, and swapped the pins from the current connector I had going into the ECU. Couple minutes setting up the new inputs in the ECU and things look like they are reading properly. As you mentioned with the temperature sensor at the end of a non-circulating line it's not the most accurate. You can definitely tell that the car is getting warm, but watching the logs even after a 30min drive it was only reading 130F and was still rising. It's exactly like you said, the oil in that line is stagnant. It works fine for pressure, but isn't ideal for temp. I'm a little frustrated my harness builder talked me into going this direction and more pissed at myself. I should have thought about this more, but it is what it is. I still have the other sensors I was going to use and I can always just pop the temp sensor into the pan, and add it into the ECU if I really decide I need temp working. Honestly if this is the biggest mistake I've made during this process then I'm doing pretty well.
Old 02-01-2023 | 11:24 AM
10 Year Member

Eh.. there are so many parts and things you're thinking through it's easy to overlook something small. If you want a temp sensor I'd just get one that replaces the drain plug and call it a day. Put a connector close to the temp sensor in the pan so you can disconnect it to remove the drain fitting to change your oil (temp sensor just stays in the fitting) and it's really no harder to change the oil honestly. I had this setup for a little while when the car was NA and it worked well. I should have a picture in my build thread but maybe not.. you probably get the picture anyway.
Old 02-01-2023 | 12:03 PM
20 Year Member

Eh.. there are so many parts and things you're thinking through it's easy to overlook something small. If you want a temp sensor I'd just get one that replaces the drain plug and call it a day. Put a connector close to the temp sensor in the pan so you can disconnect it to remove the drain fitting to change your oil (temp sensor just stays in the fitting) and it's really no harder to change the oil honestly. I had this setup for a little while when the car was NA and it worked well. I should have a picture in my build thread but maybe not.. you probably get the picture anyway.
I have the Toda oil pan which comes with a bung for a 1/8 NPT sensor. It's as easy as jacking the car up from one side, pulling the plug in that port and popping in the new one. Let me go take a look at what you're talking about in your thread that sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red