Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red

Old 12-04-2019 | 09:53 AM
Community Organizer

loving the updates feezy! FB
Old 12-04-2019 | 12:21 PM
10 Year Member

These are great updates, holy moly dude.
Old 12-04-2019 | 03:00 PM

almost there Feez!Love the pics.... Now that I found the missing pieces, I need to update my thread as well....
Old 12-04-2019 | 04:17 PM
20 Year Member

11.7.2018 - Alignment at Science of Speed

The day after I had everything installed I took it for a quick test drive. With practically new everything saying the car was a handful is an understatement. Thankfully Science of Speed is only a 10 minute drive from the house. I made an appointment and ran down to have the car dialed in.

I know a couple of the guys who work down there and they were kind enough to let me hang out in the back for a bit and snap a few cell phone pictures. Next time I go for an alignment I'm going to take the wife with me so she can take some real photos. She's who takes care of me now that ADRS2K left me.

Anyway, here is a couple of the pics of the car on the lift. I really think there were pictures from the very first alignment, but it's all the pictures I have of the finished project.

And one last one... of this exhaust. Every single time I look at this thing I love it more and more. It's just hands down the perfect exhaust for my car. It's easily one of my favorite pieces. Seriously, I just can't get enough of this thing.

I think that about sums it up for the suspension refresh project. After the alignment the car feels incredible. It's such a joy to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019 | 04:24 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
These are great updates, holy moly dude.
Don't you worry, I still have plenty more!
Old 12-04-2019 | 06:27 PM
Community Organizer

He's just getting warmed up LOL
The following 3 users liked this post by Ricky_Flowers_:
1993 (12-04-2019), adrs2k (12-06-2019), Live Fast (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019 | 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Feezy
11.05.2018 - Suspension Component Refinishing

I had planned on refinishing everything while I was working on the suspension, so I went an ordered a full set of re-manufactured calipers to swap onto the car. If I was going through all this trouble I wanted everything on the suspension to be as fresh as possible. I don't think I have any pictures of the calipers before I refinished them, but the fronts and rears came in different finishes from the manufacturer. I decided it was best to just do them black for the time being so they would blend in with everything else. I was also due for rotors so I ordered a set of Centric premiums to go along with everything else.

Once I got the arms back I began the tedious process of preparing the arms for paint. I de-greased everything and then began taping off the mounting points as well as the exposed areas of the bushings. Once this was done I hung them up out back and started spraying away. It was winter time here in Arizona, so I had rigged up several heat lamps around the arms to help encourage the paint to cure a bit quicker than normal. Once the arms were done I started the same process with the re-manufactured calipers. I pulled them all apart, taped them off, and painted away. I think I only took one picture of an arm that was prepped and ready for paint:

I pulled the old clips and boots on all the control arm ball joints, and then removed the old grease. I repacked them with new grease and then installed the new boots with new clips. I made sure to grease the outside of the boots with some silicone grease to keep them fresh and set them aside. The calipers were then reassembled, making sure to grease the slider pins.

All said and done the arms looked fantastic. A far cry from what they looked like before:
Surprised you didn't go with powder coating but did paint instead. I was looking into doing the same with my suspension when I get some coilovers (probably KWs)

Good work man!
Old 12-04-2019 | 07:45 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Live Fast
Surprised you didn't go with powder coating but did paint instead. I was looking into doing the same with my suspension when I get some coilovers (probably KWs)

Good work man!
It was more trouble than it was worth. I didn't know where to find replacement ball joints, and the one bushing on the rear lower control arms isn't serviceable. I wasn't sure how well it was going to hold up under the powder coating temperatures so I opted for painting instead.
Live Fast (12-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019 | 11:37 PM

The Amuse exhaust looks fantastic! Can you bless us with some sound clips?
Old 12-05-2019 | 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

I feel like I need to make a comment to express my appreciation for and inspiration from this thread. I don't know if "hnnngggg" is appropriate.
1993 (12-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red