Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red

Old 12-18-2013 | 10:04 AM
Site Moderator
10 Year Member

Great write up as always! The car sounded and runs amazingly well. Can't wait to see it with the lip on there

As someone that has the boltons and a tune I can attest to the ITB's feeling and sounding totally different. Between the sound, throttle response and power it feels like it just revs forever and wants to keep revving. The sounds it makes are reminiscent of the barks an f1 car makes just subdued since the motor is under the hood. I one day hope to have an AP1 as well and think this is a great way to go for that car.
Old 12-18-2013 | 10:09 AM

Thanks for taking the time to document all this. Kudos to doing the installs.
Old 12-18-2013 | 10:13 AM

Great write up, glad to see everything worked out well! Big fan of your build

If you are still looking for an exhaust setup, I suggest looking into the Gernpipe. I have it on my car paired with a Berk muffler and the improvement in the midrange is amazing.. I am planning on a full write up once I finally get a chance to tune it.
Old 12-18-2013 | 02:02 PM

Great write up, as I can say ITB's are a lot of work to install and not as easy as people make them out to be. Car looks great!
Old 12-18-2013 | 03:39 PM

The write up I was waiting for! Awesome job. s2k_rn is one of our local members here, great guy. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-21-2013 | 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by second2none
Originally Posted by Carbon Blue' timestamp='1387388109' post='22928754
damn you feezy, just when I think you couldnt make your car that much better, you blow it out of the water again. Oh btw, Im still here stalking your posts waiting for you to offload some of your stash
Lol, you aren't the only one.
no kidding, i have a separate account just devoted to those Tanabe Doall's that's been sitting for at least two years waiting to be spent. favorite car on the forum now feezy but, that's no surprise
Old 12-29-2013 | 11:54 AM
15 Year Member

This car has ITBs now? Got damn.
Old 12-29-2013 | 12:53 PM
10 Year Member

oh itb's so freaking amazing! love it!
Old 01-01-2014 | 10:45 PM
Community Organizer

Late, I know, but I'm subscribing to this build. Finally, a build that is still quality and detail oriented, without wings and crazy fender extensions.... Diez would be proud hahaha!
Old 01-21-2014 | 07:38 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Nice write up. Looks like some nice gains too. And I bet the sound is amazing.
I can’t really explain how different the sound is in person versus what you hear on the videos. There is just so much more volume. My favorite though it how the car snarls under half throttle. Even when you’re not going WOT you can still tell that something it up with the car. I guess that’s both good and bad, but it has yet to be a problem.

Originally Posted by NFR_AP2
awesome man! congrats on finally getting the kit you always wanted man. I bet it's so awesome knowing you did everything yourself. I'm glad everything worked out smoothly too at the end
Originally Posted by tama05
Congratulations on finally getting your ITB set up and also putting it all together yourself. I'm sure that has to feel great after being completed. Awesome job on the detailed write up with the whole experience, I really like that you took the time to go into detail on everything that was involved. Car looks amazing and sounds unbelievable now, great job once again.
Putting it all in myself was one of my objectives should I ever decided to actually go down this path. It was a little bit nerve racking at first, but I am very pleased that I made the decision to get my hands dirty. I learned a ton and I finally feel like the car is mine. My relationship with the car is much different than what it was.

There was a point during the install when I had the bumper off and the OEM air box out, and I was using the structural beam in the engine bay to kneel on so I could get to what I needed to easier. My buddy whose shop I was at came out and just kind of looked at me shocked. He mentioned that doing that was so far out of the realm from what he expected from me. I think doing the install helped me to relax and be much more comfortable with the car which is probably a good thing.

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
nice write up! thanks for the true before and after dyno pics. sounds amazing!
Originally Posted by bouford
for documenting your itb experience!
I’m really glad I took the time to document everything. I have a list of all of the components that I needed to do the install and I will get that posted up sometime soon. Hopefully that will help guys who are looking to do ITBs in the future.

Originally Posted by toreycarter
I always hear, "boost your s2000" well now I know exactly what I want to do. Might be a while before I actually do it but the sound is too amazing!!!Keep it up!!!
Originally Posted by //steve\\
S2000s are supposed to be NA so I'm incredibly glad to see that's how it was left.
I totally agree. I can’t count the number of times that I was told how much of a waste of money ITBs were, or how my car will never be the same or how it will never run right. I bought this thing to put ITBs on it; it just took me a few years to get the balls to do it. I have always been a huge fan of NA cars. The sound they make is just intoxicating.

Originally Posted by s1mba
Great write up, glad to see everything worked out well! Big fan of your build If you are still looking for an exhaust setup, I suggest looking into the Gernpipe. I have it on my car paired with a Berk muffler and the improvement in the midrange is amazing.. I am planning on a full write up once I finally get a chance to tune it.
I’m not sure what I want to do as far as the exhaust goes. The car is perfect now. It’s quiet when I want it to be and it loud and angry when I want it to be. It’s spectacular, and I’m a little hesitant to mess with it. I was pretty interested in the Gernpipe when it was first announced, but after looking over the dyno results the gains don’t seem that great over a test pipe. I’ll have to go back and look sometime. I thought I also read some guy who had the exhaust on his AP1 had the muffler portion of the exhaust start to melt the inside of the bumper. That’s another thing that’s steering me away from the exhaust. I would lose my shit if that was my car.

Originally Posted by MugenAP2
Great write up, as I can say ITB's are a lot of work to install and not as easy as people make them out to be. Car looks great!
Thank you, I am a huge fan of your build. Have you gotten to play with the Todas without the box on? I am curious as to how much the box around the ITBs quiets down the intake noise. Hell, I’ve noticed just having the hood closed makes them a good deal quieter than when they were on the dyno. I need to come up with a vented hood solution that won’t look out of place on my car.

Originally Posted by Mark355
This car has ITBs now? Got damn.
Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
oh itb's so freaking amazing! love it!
Haha. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by igotcouponsxx
Late, I know, but I'm subscribing to this build. Finally, a build that is still quality and detail oriented, without wings and crazy fender extensions.... Diez would be proud hahaha!
I really appreciate that! I’ve always tried to keep the car very simple and put the emphasis on the details. My favorite thing about the car is that it gets a positive reaction on the forums and from other car guys but I can still take it to my Grandfathers house and he likes it too.
I have some more things in the works that should bring everything together but these custom projects are taking forever.

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
damn you feezy, just when I think you couldnt make your car that much better, you blow it out of the water again. Oh btw, Im still here stalking your posts waiting for you to offload some of your stash
Originally Posted by second2none
Lol, you aren't the only one.
Originally Posted by Benn-O
no kidding, i have a separate account just devoted to those Tanabe Doall's that's been sitting for at least two years waiting to be spent. favorite car on the forum now feezy but, that's no surprise
Haha, you guys are crazy. I have a problem with hoarding crap for this car. I’m always afraid that something is going to happen and that I am going to need spares of everything. If I ever decided to unload some of my stash you guys will be the first to know, but chances are more likely that I’ll just buy a second NFR AP1 and make a twin of my car. That would be so rad! I could have one for keeping perfect, and one for driving the crap out of… This is starting to make a ridiculous amount of sense.

Quick Reply: Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red