Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red

Old 12-18-2013 | 12:18 AM
Community Organizer

for documenting your itb experience!
Old 12-18-2013 | 02:24 AM

Congratulations on finally getting your ITB set up and also putting it all together yourself. I'm sure that has to feel great after being completed. Awesome job on the detailed write up with the whole experience, I really like that you took the time to go into detail on everything that was involved. Car looks amazing and sounds unbelievable now, great job once again.
Old 12-18-2013 | 05:44 AM

Nice writeup and love the sound of the itbs.
Old 12-18-2013 | 06:05 AM

Great write up and pics! I have been following your build and your car is a work of art. Quick question...after going through this entire process...would you do it again? By looking at your dyno, it looks like you gained about 14hp without the socks. Given the fact that you will be running this setup with socks, your total hp gain will be even less. We all know you could make these gains with some simple bolt ons and a tune. I guess my question to you is, do the gains in throttle response, sound and uniqueness outweigh the expense, constant tuning and maintenance you will need to do going forward?
Old 12-18-2013 | 06:09 AM

Such a nice job...congrats !!
Old 12-18-2013 | 07:07 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by zippity
Great write up and pics! I have been following your build and your car is a work of art. Quick question...after going through this entire process...would you do it again? By looking at your dyno, it looks like you gained about 14hp without the socks. Given the fact that you will be running this setup with socks, your total hp gain will be even less.
The dynos that you see are with the filter socks on. I did back to back pulls with and without the filters and the HP only decreased by 1 at the very top end. The filters I am running have a large metal spring inside of them that sits perpendicular to the face of the trumpet. Not only do they keep the socks from collapsing under vacuum they also keep the filter more than 2 inches away from the trumpet opening. This gives the turbulence in the air enough time to dissipate after is comes through the filter, so there is next to no horsepower loss. I thought I mentioned it earlier in the writeup but I might have left it out.

Originally Posted by zippity
We all know you could make these gains with some simple bolt ons and a tune. I guess my question to you is, do the gains in throttle response, sound and uniqueness outweigh the expense, constant tuning and maintenance you will need to do going forward?
You'd be surprised as to how much dollar wise I'm into the the ITB set up. I got a very, very good deal on my kit.(Thank you S2K_RN) It's safe to say that I'm way less money into my set up than an equivalent intake (Fancy JDM Intake), header, exhaust, EMS, and tune AP1 owner would be. It's also worth mentioning that I am still on the factory header and exhaust. The only thing I swapped out was the catalytic converter for a 63mm Berk test pipe. I feel like there is still room to make some power, but I don't know if I'm going to end up chasing that pipe dream. There are really only two different exhaust that I am considering right now and they both only come in 60mm options. I think that's going to be the main power restriction on the car. I'm starting to get off on a tangent so I'll end that there.

The throttle response is incredible, and the sound well... it's crazy. It sounds totally different in real life than it does on the videos. The car starts to whistle at about 7,000rpm and it does it all the way until red line. It kind of sounds similar to a turbo spooling. When driving around at part throttle it sounds like there are four little angry monsters under the hood that snort and snarl. The noises that this car makes under part throttle acceleration is one of my favorite parts about the ITBs. WOT sounds incredible. Normal intakes seem so civil and tame now, you know it's me coming from a good distance away, there is a very distinct wail that my car has now.

I don't see this car needing constant tuning. There is a lot of bullshit that gets passed around on these forums (and all forums) as gospel but people who read something once and just regurgitated it over and over. I've driven an ITB'd car that had one tune done back in 2004 in NY and it ran perfectly fine in 2012 out here in Scottsdale Arizona. I've driven my car in weather 60° colder than what I had it tuned at and it runs awesome. In fact the car loves the cold so much. I don't see a ton of extra maintenance either. I run filters that I clean and re-oil every few months. I might have to change my oil twice a year now. Time will tell though how many extra problems arise, but for now I am incredibly happy and there has been absolutely no issues.

I personally believe the ITB's were worth it for me. I love the sound of NA motors and this has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I don't think I would have been so happy if I would have started from scratch and bought everything new, my cost would have been at least triple if not more. Not only that, but my car is smog exempt(due to collector car insurance and registration) so I'm able to run the ITBs, AEM EMS, and a test pipe with no problems.
Old 12-18-2013 | 08:35 AM

damn you feezy, just when I think you couldnt make your car that much better, you blow it out of the water again. Oh btw, Im still here stalking your posts waiting for you to offload some of your stash
Old 12-18-2013 | 09:17 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
10 Year Member

I always hear, "boost your s2000" well now I know exactly what I want to do. Might be a while before I actually do it but the sound is too amazing!!!

Keep it up!!!
Old 12-18-2013 | 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
damn you feezy, just when I think you couldnt make your car that much better, you blow it out of the water again. Oh btw, Im still here stalking your posts waiting for you to offload some of your stash
Lol, you aren't the only one.
Old 12-18-2013 | 09:57 AM

S2000s are supposed to be NA so I'm incredibly glad to see that's how it was left.

Quick Reply: Feezy's Build Thread - 2002 New Formula Red