Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Chris_Lum's Mugen build

Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brice.hayden
what'd you do with your old front end?
it's for sale right now on honda-tech
Old 07-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Small update 7/24/12

Picked up a little something last night after i sold my OEM hardtop. Going to get paint quotes this week...will definitely do a new photoshoot when it's painted!

Name:  d1f33c60.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  273.9 KB
Name:  82229231.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  267.1 KB

Also did something that i've been wanting to do for a long time, switch my AP2 Door panels to Ap1 panels. Most of you will probably thing i'm crazy for doing that (i'm NOT selling my Ap2 panels, still keeping them to change back if i want), but the reason i did it is because i can't stand the AP2 door panel inserts. I don't like how in 2004, Honda changed the direction of the stitching in the leather insert. In this respect, the AP1 panel always looked better to me--sure the Ap1 tweeter isn't as nice and the storage pocket is smaller, but i can live with those more than i can live with the Ap2 insert. The best of both worlds would be the Ap1 insert with the Ap2 tweeter, but sadly they aren't interchangeable.

One of the S2ki vendors, makes the alcantara inserts that mimic the AP1 forward stitch pattern, but you can still see the OE backwards stitching once the alcantara is glued down. The best method would be to pop the Ap2 insert off, strip the leather off and have a custom piece of leather added that mimics the AP1 stitching. That is a lot of work and cost, so i'm sticking to the Ap1 panels for now!

Name:  93d966af.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  288.1 KB
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

keep it white and find the white regas!! reverse panda
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, but I like the OEM top more with your car. OEM > Mugen HT IMO.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Looks great, but I like the OEM top more with your car. OEM > Mugen HT IMO.
Same here, I prefer the OEM top, but it'll still look good!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

thanks guys! i had the OEM top for about 4 years, so it was time to switch it up. I've always liked the sleek profile of the Mugen top. And the design element i love the most is the sculpted channel running through the center.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
thanks guys! i had the OEM top for about 4 years, so it was time to switch it up. I've always liked the sleek profile of the Mugen top. And the design element i love the most is the sculpted channel running through the center.
Yeah, that channel is nice, I wish someone would do an OEM style top with the Mugen channel. Has the difference in window size been hard to get used to? One of the reasons I want the OEM top is for the big window.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ouhei
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1343242115' post='21888550
Yeah, that channel is nice, I wish someone would do an OEM style top with the Mugen channel. Has the difference in window size been hard to get used to? One of the reasons I want the OEM top is for the big window.
i feel like i've seen an OEM style top with the mugen channel...but i can't remember where i saw it. oh nevermind, i think it was a spoon style top with the mugen channel. yup i agree, an OEM style w/ the mugen channel would make it look much better.

The smaller window size hasn't been much of a problem for me. it's comparable to the OEM soft top glass window. Just have to back out of parking spots slower than usual, and during driving, i rely heavily on blind spot mirrors. So yes, the huge window on the OEM was nice, the OEM top just didn't look sporty enough for me.

didn't realize how much extra headroom there is w/ the mugen top too, since it's not as thick as the OEM top. Not a problem for me since i'm short, but something to consider for tall people.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Nice man! Very jealous. I've been wanting to switch to a Mugen top too.

The roll hoops seem to always block the far sides of the OEM hardtop window (for me at least), so I can't imagine the Mugen is really that much of a loss in the department.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good dude!!!

Quick Reply: Chris_Lum's Mugen build