Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Chris_Lum's Mugen build

Old 06-06-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your s2 is absolutely amazing buddy

The CE's and trophy kit is my dream combo

keep it up
Old 06-07-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love the new pics!!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bronze wheels were made for black cars!

did you do anything to mock up a third brakelight after you did the ASM duckbill? been meaning to McGyver one for my S, but been lazy.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SP00NFED
Your s2 is absolutely amazing buddy

The CE's and trophy kit is my dream combo

keep it up
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by ap2 jared
love the new pics!!!!
Thanks Jared!

Originally Posted by Trustd_1

did you do anything to mock up a third brakelight after you did the ASM duckbill? been meaning to McGyver one for my S, but been lazy.
I agree! yes i made a 3rd brake light, but it's a bit ghetto. The only part of my car that is pure function and absolutely NO form haha.

check out this old post of mine: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/755...t__p__22545736
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Maintenance Tiiiiiiiiiime....

100K miles on the car right now so time to replace some weary parts. I love this car, owned it since 9K miles on the ODO and only had to replace the CMC, 1 diff mount and 2 engine mounts so far. Not bad at all. Up next is...

Clutch. I previously installed a full ACT setup when I was at 20K miles due to a sponsorship. Had ACT PP, ACT organic disk & ACT Prolite flywheel. I went with the OE disk this time so I could get rid of the annoying ACT clutch buzz!!!!

Old clutch setup:

New clutch setup...OEM clutch disk, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, fork, guide and a few other minor refresh components not pictured. New ACT PP and ACT Prolite flywheel. I loved the prolite flywheel as I ran it in my old DC2 Integra that I road raced a lot and ran it in the S2000 for the past 80K miles. It feels awesome so I couldn't see going with anything else.

Along with a new AP2 Slave and boot...thought about going AP1 to get rid of the CDV, but I don't even notice the CDV now and it was engineered into the car for a purpose, so I stayed with it.

Slave installed:

My original starter was sticking and making that awful grinding noise for many years now. Finally decided to replace it along with the clutch since they're in the same vicinity.

Out with the old...

and in with the new...

Clutch impressions: The ACT PP/OE disk setup has been touted as the "perfect" setup on s2ki for a long time now, by many people, including Billman. I have about 150 miles on it now and I have to say, I love it. I never noticed how noisy the ACT disk was!! I always knew it had the infamous clutch buzz, but pretty much only noticed it on deceleration. Now that I have the non-buzzy OE disk in, the drivetrain seems much quieter overall. I guess the ACT clutch buzz was buzzing much more than I had thought. The OE disk also feels a bit softer/easier to modulate, so that's a positive. Not that ACT clutch was hard or anything, but now I see why this setup is so loved. The ACT PP ads just enough pedal firmness to make it feel like a real sports car (I always felt that the complete OE setup made S2000's feel like a toy car), but is still easy enough for daily driving duties if you need it for that. I guess what i'm trying to say is that I don't know why anyone would ever get the ACT disk...hahaha.... I had no choice because it was a sponsorship before, but the OE disk is pretty much perfect.

Next update will be a Koyo Hyper V aluminum radiator and Samco silicone hoses install. I would have it already but dumb Mugen discontinued their large size radiator cap so now I have to go with the competitions cap--Spoon haha! Anyway, since my radiator and hoses are 100K miles old now, I figure this is preventative maintenance as it's only a matter of time that the hoses or radiator cracks.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

yup ACT PP/OEM fric disk ftw! my set up too
Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

its also good for when you go boost in the future................and you will go boost in the future
Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing wrong with spoon parts hahaha jk and it is nice to see you enjoying the s. i think it is perfect with new ce28 can't stop looking at it
Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1433719309' post='23639563

I agree! yes i made a 3rd brake light, but it's a bit ghetto. The only part of my car that is pure function and absolutely NO form haha.

check out this old post of mine: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/755...t__p__22545736
thanks for info. you did a pretty good job. does look a lil "rough," but it's functional. i was thinking of doing something similar and adding an LED strip or aftermarket brake light to the edge ofy soft top window, but then it wouldn't be functional w/the top down.

another idea i had was to add a brakelight to the rear decklid/trunk area. i'm still debating whether to do a hardtop though. not sure if an OEM or Mugen would clear one put there. i bought my S for topdown cruising too. maybe i'll just ditch my ASM duckbill and get an OEM ap1 spoiler.

on a sidenote, couple questions about your new OEM/ACT clutch setup....

--did you ever consider doing an ap1 flywheel? i'm looking at doing a similar setup to yours, but have heard horror stories about aftermarket flywheels. i'm willing to sacrifice a pound or two to maintain drivability and reliability. a lot of people seem to like the ap1 unit.

--what other "minor refresh components" did you get? i'm about to hit 100k too, so trying to round up clutch parts and others you've done, incl a radiator & hoses. i also got a Billman GenX TCT. my OEM was still in good shape, but like you, just doing preventative maintenance.

oh, i did do an ap1 slave swap on my 06 ap2 a while ago. needed to replace my leaking clutch master cylinder, so figured i'd do the slave too. the CDV was annoying in my car. i like the ap1 slave a lot. really enhanced my driving experience.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful

Quick Reply: Chris_Lum's Mugen build