Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000

Old 04-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The next big job was installing Genuine Honda Access fitted mats. I picked these up from Hendy and opted for the Red to fit in nicely with the interior. They are a little pricey when it comes to floor mats, but these look fantastic and being a genuine Honda item it carries a premium.

Fitting the mats is a little nerve wracking when you read the instructions to see you have to cut the carpet to access the pre-drilled holes in the floor.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-0rj3qos.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-cwkawlt.jpg

Step 1: Cut back the carpet in a 'C' shape. You get measurements with the instructions, but you can also feel for the holes. (The purpose of the shape of the cut is to allow for the bracket to sit as flush as possible to the floor while also being as covered as possible).

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-bphi0qz.jpg

Step 2: Install the two blue inserts into the square shaped holes.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-596e2gb.jpg

Step 3: Screw down the brackets

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-krks3hi.jpg

Once both installed it should look like this.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ebeufz7.jpg

Repeat on the passenger side.

Final step is to simply clip in the mats and enjoy.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-pggrub6.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-tzu9xlj.jpg

My S2000 came with some original S2000 mats, but I'm not a fan of them being grey, they also didn't have brackets installed for them to clip in place. This meant the Driver's kept slipping forward.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-sybzvth.jpg

Very happy with them, would highly recommend.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Next job on the list was fixing these cloudy headlights. They have been bothering me for ages. I opted for the simplicity of a Meguiar's drill polish kit. I was a little anxious at first as I was worried the drill might snatch and damage some bodywork. Luckily I kept the speed steady and the job was pretty simple. What took the most time was masking up around the lights.

Before:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-rm3tj5j.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-tiqcyzl.jpg

After:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-nae4dgp.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-chjoi1y.jpg

Comparison halfway through the job:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-mvgpxer.jpg

One thing I did notice after polishing is that the lenses appear to have some tiny cracks within the plastic. You can only see them from a certain angle and when you get really close. I think the only way to fix this would be to replace the lenses. I can let it go for now, I'll just have to see whether it gets worse.

After a few days I can see where I could have done a better job, so I may do another pass when I give the car a proper detail.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-3nfolqn.jpg
Old 04-18-2020, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
Nice car!

Black with full red interior has to be one of the best colors for the s2000.
Thanks! This was the exact colour combo I was hunting for, I think I was very lucky a facelift in black/red came up for sale exactly when I was looking. Very few S2000's come up for sale in Ireland each year, and they are often very early models with high mileage. I was planning on importing one from the UK, but the VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax - basically import tax) would have been very very high. Likely 5-7k on top of the purchase price.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:42 PM

When I had 4x refurbished genuine calipers fitted, I didn't think to have them painted prior to fitting. I regret that now as the rear's seemed to corrode pretty badly quite quickly, and they looked awful. I'll probably get them painted professionally at some point, or hopefully fit some Spoon Sports Monoblock calipers eventually.

I decided to do a quick fix after trip to Halfords. I picked up some wire brushes, brake cleaner and silver caliper paint. The job was fairly easy, and looks ok after 2 or 3 coats of paint. Obviously this is less than perfect, but it'l do for now and improves the awful looking rusty calipers.

Before:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-k5tfis8.jpg

During: (calipers are super hard to mask up).

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-hftlb1c.jpg

After:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-jh69wep.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-nazso0x.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-yelgiec.jpg

Yes, the car is absolutely filthy, but having recently moved into a new house with now outside tap, and the whole of the western world being in lockdown I have no way of cleaning the car. When I had the wheels off I realised just how much dirt and crud was caked onto the underside. So I'll be setting about giving the underbody a thorough clean once a few things arrive that I need for the job.

Another thing I noticed was dreaded worn compliance bushes. This is a pretty big job as most people know, so I'll be collecting all the required parts and replacing them. All the parts required are pretty expensive from Honda, and especially so in Europe. As I no longer have as much space, and no shed to work in I'm hoping if I prepare I can knock out the job in one day.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-7lfstgr.jpg
Old 04-18-2020, 01:56 PM

Since I brought the car out of storage it has struggled to hold charge. So after a bit of research I got myself a replacement. This actually proved to be pretty difficult during lockdown as all the stores are closed, so I needed one delivered. I was pleasantly surprised to find a place in the UK that delivered to Ireland, and promptly. I ended up ordering via Tayna Batteries.

I noticed that the battery the car came with was the correct size, but the terminals were in the incorrect orientation.

Old knackered battery with the wrong orientation.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-yceyec7.jpg

...as you can see...

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-3kiozan.jpg

Newly fitted battery, and now no stretched cables.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ktu8d5g.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 02:06 PM

The next job I'd been putting off for a long time (18 months in fact) bringing the stereo into the 21st century while maintaining an OEM look. An aftermarket headunit with bluetooth wouldn't be too much more in price, but I just hate the way they look. I'm not too bothered about the quality of the audio as it'll only be used for podcasts on long journeys. In order to keep that look and after a bit of research I picked up a Connects2 CTAHOBT001. This connects directly to the OEM headunit, but allows for Bluetooth streaming but plugging into the connection for an optional CD changer. The kit also allows you to control tracks using the headunit and external controls (hit 'channel' to skip to next track). The unit also has a USB power out, Mic In, and AUX in. The Aux in will supersede bluetooth when used. Really happy with the functionality, and the ease of install. There is a space behind the headunit where it'll fit perfectly.

There is a guide on S2ki of how to install the kit, but here is a step by step from my experience. I also used this youtube guide to help with the headunit removal.

As you can see the interface is nice and compact.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-iw35bte.jpg

Step 1: Remove centre console by prying it up with an interior tool, or just a flat head screwdriver wrapped in tape. Start at the front, and you'll feel the connectors pop as you go. This is only necessary for a facelift / AP2. In the pre-facelift / AP1 this step isn't necessary. You also need to remove the gear knob to get the centre console completely off, and I found it helps to pull the handbrake up a little further to help with removal, and be sure to disconnect all of the connections.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ghdoyo0.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-hzfrtxa.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-bgndak6.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-lvgbrhe.jpg

Step 2: Remove the door for the headunit. The trick with this is to grab both hinges with the door open and pull firmly but slowly. Wiggle the door out and you will feel the connections at the bottom pop. Once the bottom as popped, keep pulling to get the top part off.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-n6yvpdt.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-tmcfur1.jpg

Step 3: Remove the 4 screws (upper and lower - ignore the middle screws), and slide the headunit out. Removing the connectors at the back to move it right out of the way. Once out you'll see there is a reasonably large space where the connects2 can fit and kept down with double sided tape.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-irpryrb.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-h3wgucp.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-gphn1ki.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-sgq4pgf.jpg

Step 4: The kit comes with a small small square of double sided tape, but I was worried about it coming lose and rattling around in the dash. I picked up some No More Nails Strips for some added security. Next step is to simply fit the Connects2 into the space and plug it into the headunit's CD changer port.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ucwtsjv.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-dqaghwk.jpg

Step 5: If you want a way to charge your phone, you can then plug a USB cable into the USB output, and route it wherever you want. I wanted it down by the passenger footwell. This way it can be kept out of site by sitting in the cargo net when not being used, and be in an idea spot for charging on long journeys.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-nqhmzbt.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-zeh1zan.jpg

Step 6: Test the connection by swiching the headunit mode to CD Changer, and pair the Conects2 to your phone's bluetooth, and fit everything back together.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-m4piqe5.jpg
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM

I've been keeping very busy during lockdown. One thing I've never even really been interested in before was detailing / machine polishing. The paintwork on my S2000 is mostly in good condition, but I don't think it's ever been polished or decontaminated etc. I've also never don't more than a decent wash with a two bucket method. I came across a video series that the Meguiar's UK team put together called Detailing 101. It's a great step by step guide of all the necessary steps to wash, decontaminate, clay bar, compound, polish and wax. I've plenty of time on my hands, so why not learn a new skill.

This is the video series if anyone is interested:

Following this I purchased the following:
  • Meguiar's MT320 DA Machine Polisher
  • Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfibre Towels (3 pack)
  • Kent Car Car Allow Wheel Brush
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
  • Blue Car Trim Protection Tape x2
  • Meguiar's NXT Generation Car Wash 1.8L
  • Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax
  • Meguiar's Heavy Duty Mutil-Purpose Cleaner 709ml
  • Meguiar's Heavy Duty Bug & Tar Remover 444ml
  • Meguiar's Detailing Mit (for interior)
  • Meguiar's Wash Plus Shampoo
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Wheel Cleaner
  • Meguiar's Supreme Drying Towel Extra Large
  • Meguiar's Finishing Towel x2
  • Meguiar's Lambswool Wash Mit
  • Meguiar's Soft Foam Applicator Pads 2 Pack
  • Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator PAds 2 Pack
  • Meguiar's Reusable Detailing Swabs
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Leather Balm
  • Meguiar's Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner
  • Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax
  • Nuluxi Natural Boar Hair Brushes
  • Gtechniq W7 Tar and Glue Remover
  • CleanCar Pro Range - All Purpose Cleaner 500ml
  • Gtechniq SP2 Spray Bottle
In total it took me about 15 hours, spread over two days. Following the advice of the series along the way. it's surprisingly easy to do when you have the right equipment and advice, but it is hard work. Very happy with the results, but the big problem now is that I know where all the scratches and stone chips are. Some on the bonnet and boot lid that are too deep to remove with compound so I'll likely need them resprayed at some point.

As you can see, lots of swirls in direct light.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-di9p1k4.jpg

Started with the wheels using Megs Ultimate Wheel Cleaner:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-4b74g84.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-6hzwauo.jpg

Then a snow foam with Auto Glym Polar blast, and a two bucket wash using Megs Wash Plus.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-lohdahc.jpg

Next step was a decontamination on the worst affected areas, both sides of the car had a lot of tar and road grime. I don't think it'd every been done as the paint even after a few decent washes was rough to the touch. After go over with Gtechniq W7 Tar and Glue remover. This stuff is really strong and super effective.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-f9xh5q5.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-mndu5ad.jpg

Then onto clay bar using an Auto Glym Clay Bar kit, the results were incredible.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-v9gqs4z.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-2t4xiid.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-yomrhxz.jpg

The next and biggest step was machine compound, polish and wax us the DA Machine polisher. I didn't really take any pictures during this whole process as I was busy making sure I didn't screw it up. The best lesson I learned is less is more, don't use too much product and be methodical.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-8majjjd.jpg

One thing that always bugged me was cleaning my car, and then next time I get to the petrol station, opening the filler cap and seeing a load of dirt staring me in the face. I always, always forget about it. But not this time. I just used a bit of all purpose cleaner to get into all the little detailed bits.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ynpk1fb.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-edyvsxr.jpg

....and the final results:

my ugly quarantine mug in the now glasslike finish.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-xlnz194.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-w1i595q.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-zqfh2lg.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ow8llxd.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-46ujzci.jpg
Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 PM

Another job is getting the underside of the car cleaned up. I recently bought a house closer to the city, and where I used to live was country roads which were often covered in dirt as I was surrounded by farms. The dirt and crud was all dried on and pretty thick. I gave it a god go, but without a 90 degree lance it's really difficult to get the power washer into all the different areas. After doing this job I ordered one direct from Karcher so I'll probably go at it again.

Before:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-rkndfag.jpg

After:

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-j1ehtxh.jpg

The driveway required a proper clean afterwards it was that bad!

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ykpmten.jpg
Old 05-12-2020, 01:28 PM

Quarantine has been getting the best of me. I finally caved and bought some coilovers and 15mm hubcentric spacers to get a nicer stance. I'd love to get myself some Ohlins or KW, but working on a budget with a wedding now far away, and BCs came highly recommended by a number of friends. I went for the standard 10kg/10kg spring rate and for a decent price you get 32 way damping adjustment. Installing them was really easy, the only tricky part being the rear left top mount as it is blocked by the fuel filler.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-igrflu6.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-jeqwqrf.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-esbp8bd.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ltei4on.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-gdqeduc.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-yzukso5.jpg

After some adjustments got it looking just right, really happy with the results. I haven't had the opportunity to drive it much thanks to lockdown, but once everything opens back up I'll send it for a full alignment.

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-ehrbo8h.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-vty4w1x.jpg
BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-abyysui.jpg
Old 05-12-2020, 01:31 PM

Next job was fitting the OEM style spoiler I purchased on Ebay. Really happy with how it looks, and really is a nice addition to the rear

BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000-mwkpaya.jpg

Quick Reply: BrenRogers' Berlina Black Facelift S2000