Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

aeonracer's 2004 S2000 build - Mild OEM focused build

Old 08-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

nothing beats a supportive wifey! like the direction of your build. auto-x ftw!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job. I couldn't agree more with the supportive wife lol.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

If I ever sold my Apex Blue CR, I would go right back to Silverstone. I love that color, and its so easy to photograph and just looks awesome in just about all light conditions.

I will certainly let you know if I make my way back east. I am starting to think I need to maybe plan a cross country trip in the CR and attend the Dragon...maybe even ship the car one way, and drive it back after the Dragon. I will let you know.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really haven't had time to play with the real car, so instead I took to playing with pictures of the car while on a business trip. I'd like a better source image but I actually like how this came out! I will try to take a photo with less reflections, and polish up a bit more, and do something similar for a new desktop background.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Loved reading through your thread, man...quite the journey! Keep up the great work...we have similar taste in styling and how we mod.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 AM

Finally had some time to take the car out to a local autocross event. Everytime I drive this car I fall back in love with it. Retiring it to weekend and autocross duty has definitely made me appreciate more what this car is and what it's capable of. Living with the car on a day to day basis, it eventually gets boring. It isn't particularly comfortable for commuting, its loud, clutching in and out in traffic sucks even with the light feel of the OEM clutch. But, find that twisty road or take it to an autocross or a track, and it all comes together and makes sense.

The car is finally starting to come together. I still have a few more mods I'd like to put together, but at this point I feel like I just need to drive the car and get more speed. The balance of the car right now is perfect, and any understeer the car gets is usually my fault for getting into a turn too hot.

The KW V3 really shine on the autocross course, though I guess you probably didn't need to read that statement from me to learn that. Limited body roll and full and independent compression / rebound adjust ability makes all the difference, especially if you have even the slightest inclination to tune and experiment. You can COMPLETELY change the feel of the car with a few simple clicks. And you can tune for the specific scenario which you are experiencing.

I started the day off with a little bit of mid corner understeer, removed a couple clicks of compression in the front and the car was fantastic.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUlrrmklqvw[/media]

Sadly this is probably it this year for autocross, but we have a few awesome events coming up soon that I will be sure to document with pictures and videos. Namely, the yearly Skyline Drive meet up is happening in a couple weeks, and we expect 100+ S2000's this year!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 PM

We had our annual Mid Atlantic Skyline get together, ended up finally getting some good photos of the latest and greatest setup:

Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car. I just picked up a silverstone and will be using your thread as my inspiration for a simple, well thought out build. Any chance you could share more details on your process to paint your V2's. I prefer the V1's stock, but the V2's look amazing like this.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Thanks!

Painting was relatively straight forward. The general rule of thumb painting is spray your light colors first and usually less is more (light coats, and more of them). I prepped and painted the light silver color onto the wheel first. I let that cure for a few hours (4-6 or so) and then started masking the face of the wheel so I could spray the inner side of the spokes the gunmetal color. Basically you want to make off the area that you want to end up the light silver color. I sprayed the gun metal, let it cure for about an hour, removed the masking tape and then sprayed a thin layer of clear coat, followed by a couple of thick layers. Let it cure for about 3 days, and was all set. I did all 4 wheels at the same, so when I'd prep it would be all 4, light silver all 4, mask all 4, gunmetal all 4, etc.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man seeing those pictures from Skyline makes me miss home I recently moved to Texas but I grew up about a 1000 yards from Skyline Drive (aka Blue Ridge Parkway) in Boone NC. The roads in that area are just insane the one thing I actually do miss. Anyways you have a beautiful car.

Quick Reply: aeonracer's 2004 S2000 build - Mild OEM focused build