Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Why don't we like Red Bull F1?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why don't we like Red Bull F1?

I have been trying to figure out why I don't like Red Bull F1. I am a fan of theirs in most other forms of motor sport, but when it comes to F1, I can't stand it when they win. I like Adrian Newey, I like Webber, I like German drivers, I like Ausie drivers. But for some reason, even when they first started winning, I always wanted them to lose. (except for last year when I thought that Webber was going to win the drivers championship. I really wanted him to win.)

The only reasons that I can come up with that I don't like them is that they are new and I was already set in my Mclaren liking ways before they were a factor, Or it could be that they are this new young team who are making fools out of the old historic teams. But neither of those reasons really make sense to me, especially since the team and the drivers have always been fairly humble, and not been as arrogant as some of the other teams. (especially considering their dominance the last two years.)

Anyone have any ideas as to why for the most part, Red Bull does not have the following that even the other smaller teams have?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Bull Racing originally started as Jackie Stewart's former F1 team Stewart GP. Ford bought it and used it as their Jaguar F1 team before Red Bull bought it. So there is a little history there but not as much as Williams, Ferrari, Mclaren, etc. Personally I like the fact that Red Bull are winning. They are challenging the "established" teams with a relative smaller budget compared to Ferrari, Mclaren and Mercedes. What they essentially have is a great designer in Adrian and a great driver in Vettel and that's it. A clear indication is some of the mistakes Christian Horner has made with the team in terms of strategy. Mclaren were idiots to let Newey go and their "1" driver Hamilton is exhibiting poor decision making on the track. Ferrari are suffering from the testing ban as they traditionally develop their car on the track rather than the windtunnel and simulation. If Mclaren sort out Hamilton and Ferrari develop a better car they can bring the challenge to Red Bull. To answer your question Red Bull is a relatively new team and if they get a better team principal and sort out their mechanical issues they will win more races and get more fans due to wins. I'd like to think of Red Bull as Team Lotus of sorts. They build a fantastic chassis/car and source an engine to power it. That's what Lotus did when they started out. I remember that some people were having the same issues when Renault and Alonso were winning and Ferrari/Michael had no response to them.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM

I have mixed feelings about Red Bull. I love Newey, Webber, heck I like Vettel too. It's Helmut Marko and Dietrich Mateschitz that I can't stand. The winggate really left a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redbull is not a small budget team by any means. They spend as much as the big constructors.

I just don't like them because of how dominate their car has been the last two years. I'm tired of seeing Seb take pole and run away with it every other race.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:09 PM

It’s hard not to like this team. Individually speaking, they have quality personnel from the top down. But I too have a hard time liking them as a team.

With Seb dominating, it’s far more satisfying to see Button or Hamilton chase him down than see him cross the finish line without breaking a sweat. I did root for him and RB for the championship last year but they did not dominate like they are now.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM

It’s hard not to like this team. Individually speaking, they have quality personnel from the top down. But I too have a hard time liking them as a team.

With Seb dominating, it’s far more satisfying to see Button or Hamilton chase him down than see him cross the finish line without breaking a sweat. I did root for him and RB for the championship last year but they did not dominate like they are now.
I agree with that a lot. I like each of the main individuals, but can't seem to root for the team as a whole. And to say that they were not dominant last year is a bit of an understatement. It wasn't as bad as last year, but didn't they go 1-2 in qualifying something like 8-9 times, and 1-2 in the race about as many times. It seemed like last year, the only time that they didn't win was when they crashed into each other, the car broke, or someone else took them out of the race.

This year so far is the most amazing display of racing that I have ever seen. Vettel has takes 6 of 7 poles, 5 of 7 races, and the only two times he lost, he came in second... I don't think that anyone could argue that he currently has the best car, and is currently the best driver in the world.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Unfortunately, I can't answer this. I've been pulling for Red Bull since they started! I like how they've really taken the fight to the established teams and have brought some youth and energy into the sport. Having a great personality and talent like Vettel to lead the team is just the icing on my cake.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I have no dislike for them as a team. I think they have come together really well under the stewardship of a few talented individuals. I'd like that team even if they were called Zebra Racing.

It is their time and they are riding a wave, just as Ferrari did under Todt, Brawn and Schumacher. Lets see how they and the others compare from Silverstone onwards once the FIA restricts blown exhausts.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 AM

^ Which restricting the blown diffusers halfway through a season, when many of the cars are specifically designed with them in mind is stupid. At least they gave them a little time to find a new solution instead of what the original plan was. Trying to tell them that they couldn't use them three days before the race was even dumber.

Can we get just one year with fewer restriction, so that we can start seeing what these teams are truly capable of, and so that we can have some new world records...

IDK about you, but my goal every time I go back to a track is to be faster than the last time I was there.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Maybe just their way to level the playing field

I doubt they'd go back to an unrestricted playing field. It would be mass murder - the big teams would kill all the little ones with their vast resources and we may also lose a manufacturer or two whose board does not approve of the expense. Sure Ferrari and McLaren would be overjoyed. Everyone else though could start thinking about closing shop and cutting their people a severance check.

IDK about you, but my goal every time I go back to a track is to be faster than the last time I was there.
^ Think you are referring to the teams. Im sure they will interpret the regs to build the fastest car. Its not like the cars have gotten slower over the years.

Quick Reply: Why don't we like Red Bull F1?