Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

USGP negotiation tactics

Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Popeye,Jun 19 2006, 08:31 AM
They need to move the race to either Laguna Seca or Road America (natural road course) IMHO
Nope, one of your suggestions is down right impossible, your second suggestion is too far away. I say keep it in the middle of the country right where it is.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 AM

And what I really want to know. For those of you saying Indy is a bad venue and the location needs to be moved - exactly how many of you have actually gone to the race in person?

As a spectator at Indy many, many times, it is a great venue for the fans who come out for the whole 3 to 5+ day event.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Demolition derbies are fun in person too. Doesn't make the track interesting.

I prefer a real road course instead of a converted oval. I've been to the Superbike races at Fontana Speedway and even with the infield chicane it is just "meh" compared to real road courses. Laguna Seca is awesome for lower-speed cars but F1 would not stretch its legs enough there. Maybe at Infineon?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jun 20 2006, 03:04 PM
I prefer a real road course instead of a converted oval.
Um, have you ever BEEN to Indy?

Don't be so fast to discount it as a world class road track. It's exceptionally challenging and I agree 100% with Doug. Its a spectacular venue.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM

I wonder if Bernie will even show his face this year at the USGP.

I bet he will have "urgent business matters" which will keep him from coming to Indy.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBad,Jun 20 2006, 02:25 PM
Um, have you ever BEEN to Indy?

Don't be so fast to discount it as a world class road track.
It's a roval.

This forum is always really quick to complain about oval track racing just because it's oval track racing. This is the same thing; rovals have certain characteristics and it is just as fair to say "I prefer a road course to a roval" as it is to say "I prefer a road course to an oval track".

In fact, the very things that make it more acceptible if you are actually there in person are the same things that make oval tracks in general more enjoyable if you are actually there in person.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 20 2006, 04:07 AM
And what I really want to know. For those of you saying Indy is a bad venue and the location needs to be moved - exactly how many of you have actually gone to the race in person?

As a spectator at Indy many, many times, it is a great venue for the fans who come out for the whole 3 to 5+ day event.
Been there for the GP and the 500 many times. Other than the events there isn't a damn thing to do off- track. Once you have been to see the stuffed bull and the big tree stump you have the excitement of White Castle Burgers, counting the Dairy Queens, and liquor stores. The locals live for the state fair and the big events or they drink. When the locals can't sell you on their hometown you have issues.

It needs to move to Long Beach Ca or Las Vegas.

I agree with shorty / Bernie, F1 doesn't need the US. They could award the race to tons of other venues without losing a dime. I want a tropical location next, F1 and a good surf break.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by WFO Racer,Jun 20 2006, 08:17 PM
Once you have been to see the stuffed bull and the big tree stump you have the excitement of White Castle Burgers, counting the Dairy Queens, and liquor stores.
There's a stuffed bull and a big tree stump?! Man, I've been here 15 years and no one has clued me in on the good stuff!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 AM

I don't agree with you guys who don't like Indy and I never will.

There is no way the F1 course reminds me of an oval, it looks to be a blast to drive, although more elevation changes would be a good thing.

To me a venue is partly about the track yes, but the other part is how good is it as a spectator and a camper. Regarding the latter part of that, Indy rocks! The camping environment is well done, the services provided are super and I just love the whole meeting new people and hanging out. For me I don't look for things to keep me entertained away from the track, I'm there camping, hanging out with new F1 fans, meeting up with other car club friends, and of course, cooking and eating outstanding food and knocking back a few cold ones with friends. As far as seating and the ability to see track activity, if you are smart and pick the right section Indy is fantastic. I live and love Watkins Glen, but there is nowhere you can sit at The Glen and see as much on track activity as I can at Indy, and that does not even include the Indy monster jumbotron.

CA would suck for me.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:43 AM

Actually CA would be good for you...you would be forced to come up to Montreal to watch a race....

Quick Reply: USGP negotiation tactics