Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

USGP negotiation tactics

Old 06-19-2006, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USGP negotiation tactics

Ecclestone indifferent about US GP future

By Jonathan Noble Monday, June 19th 2006, 10:44 GMT

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has insisted that he is not worried about whether Grand Prix racing continues in the United States, ahead of its return to North America for the first time since last year's Indianapolis fiasco.

As the sport gears up for a charm offensive to win over fans who were dismayed by the mass withdrawal of the Michelin teams from last year's United States Grand Prix, Ecclestone has said he is not too fussed about the future prospects.

Indianapolis' contract to host an F1 race runs out after this year, and track boss Tony George has said he will only begin negotiations about extending it after the July 2 race so he can see what impact the 2005 events have had.

Speaking in the July edition of F1 Racing, Ecclestone appears non-plussed about the US GP, claiming that the country's importance on the calendar is overplayed.

"Let's put things in perspective," he said. "The TV ratings in the US have always been pretty dismal. Single-seater racing in America is extremely marginal and even a top-end NASCAR race only attracts the same sort of TV viewers as F1 gets in Italy for an average race. That's nothing to write home about.

"F1 has never got anything good out of the US. We've never had a big committed US sponsor. We could hold 10 Grands Prix in the US and a handful in Europe to boost F1's popularity in the States - but what would be the point of that?"

Despite Ecclestone's indifference towards the future of the United States Grand Prix, McLaren boss Ron Dennis believes it is likely that Indianapolis will eventually agree a deal to continue hosting the event.

"Last year was a bit of a setback for the sport," he said. "Keeping the race on the calendar will depend on the fans' enthusiasm. I wouldn't be surprised if this year's audience is quite good. I still think a race at Indy next year is a possibility."

The sport is ramping up efforts to try and repair the damage caused by last year's event.

Bridgestone are hosting a 'Preview Party' at Indianapolis over the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, while travel company Grand Prix Tours have secured support from teams for a 'Kiss and Make Up' party in downtown Indianapolis on the eve of the race.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

They need to move the race to either Laguna Seca or Road America (natural road course) IMHO
Old 06-19-2006, 05:37 AM

Sears Point would rock too.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:05 AM

Watkins Glen (again) for the win. Too bad someone would die due to the lack of runoff.

I hope something is worked out to keep a GP in the US. It'd really be a shame to lose F1 in the US, but with the new tracks being built and countries aggressively trying to bring F1 in, it wouldn't surprise me much.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 AM

They need to dump that old crotchety fuhck and let someone like Dietrich Mateschitz or Luca DiMontezemolo take over the reigns. Bring some flash back into F1.

Hearing Bernie talk so flippantly about the states like that pisses me. OK, so F1 might not be a premiere sport in the US, but you can bet your ass the advertisers WANT the US exposure.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on changing the venue as a good idea but I think Bernie's probably right, we're a damn NASCAR nation.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jun 19 2006, 12:01 PM
I agree on changing the venue as a good idea but I think Bernie's probably right, we're a damn NASCAR nation.
If that's true its only by default. Our society is technology focused, adventurous, competitive and high-spirited. What better culture could you have for F1 fans?

The only reason its not the premier motorsports event here is that there's only one race a year with NO advertising, even in Indy. Bernie is really short changing himself, F1 and the US fans.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM

No one in their right mind would take on the USGP until after they see how this year works out (maybe with the weaker dollar we will see some more visitors from other countries this year).

Still fewer people would invest the millions upon millions one would need to spend at any road course to have the sort of garages, run off areas, and paddock facilities needed for hosting a modern F1 race, and many if not all of the road courses people would like to see host the event in the USA do not have the stands to sell the tickets one would need to recoup the investment needed in other basic structure improvements and pay the huge annual fee to Bernie for hosting the thing in the first place.

Bernie doesn't like being without all of the leverage. What happened to Las Vegas Bernie, or was that just BS transparent bluffing because you have no other realistic option if you want to be in the USA.

Tony George took a huge risk and made the investment to bring F1 to the USA because he wanted to have F1 in the USA. After last year, one can understand if he is not sure about that anymore.

Is it any wonder that the new F1 suitable facilities are being built only in communist countries (China) and Arab Kingdoms (Bahrain) or other places where the goverment is footing the bill for the state of the art facilities in an effort to promote their country?

Get Bernie out of it and let someone new take the reigns.

If we lose the USGP, and if IRL and ChampCar reunite, perhaps Tony George can run the 500 and a second IRL/ChampCar road course race in the resulting series?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 AM

You guys mentioning Road America, Watkins Glen and others like it - trust me, ain't going to happen. Never.

Yes it is true millions of dollars could be spent on track improvements to bring them up to to FIA standards, but no money is going to change the towns these tracks are close to. Places like Road America, Watkins Glen and others have no real infastructure. There is just no place to put 150,000+ fans. Not camping at the track, not in hotels in town. F1 is all about the 5-star accomodations, and you are not going to find that there. Sad I admit, however, very true.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Balzz,Jun 19 2006, 07:15 AM
Speaking in the July edition of F1 Racing, Ecclestone appears non-plussed about the US GP, claiming that the country's importance on the calendar is overplayed.
Balzz is right. This is complete BS and bernie is just playing a game af tactics to create himself in a position of greater negotiating power. With luck Tony Gearge is smart enough to see that.

Quick Reply: USGP negotiation tactics