Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Team US F1 rumors

Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GateCrasher,Jul 8 2009, 01:11 PM
Smells
Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Birel186,Jul 8 2009, 03:24 PM
No cosworth and ford split back in like 2003 or 2004. It was then bought by kevin kalkoven to secure cosworth engines for Champcar.
Thx
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^^ Bringing Cosworth in at a lower price point and giving teams using those engines no restrictions on Revs reeks of trying to break the influence of the manufacturers. Yet another underhanded ploy by the Tom & Jerry (er! I mean Max & Bernie)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 8 2009, 04:32 PM
So "F1" would have engines to run if FOTA took a hike then?

Afterall, I suspect the FOTA teams would not supply engines to F1 if they were only competing in their break away series.
Worse imo - they were meddling with the other team's sales which is what the EU specifically said the FIA were not allowed to do. Read this:

Team make engine allegation
Unnamed team says deal necessary to secure grid slot

Last updated: 7th July 2009
Team make engine allegation

One of the unsuccessful applicants for a place on the 2010 Formula One grid has alleged that they had to agree to use Cosworth engines in order for the FIA to grant them entry.

In a letter sent by an unnamed would-be F1 team boss to a senior figure at an existing team, it was suggested that the three outfits granted entry - Campos Meta, US F1 and Manor Grand Prix - gained an advantage over the likes of Prodrive and Lola because of their deals with the Northampton engine manufacturer.

"Just before entering the meeting (with the FIA in London on June 11), I was advised...that for my application to have any chance of success, I would need to report Cosworth as my engine supplier for three seasons," he said.

"I commented that I had a real possibility of obtaining a Renault, Mercedes or Ferrari engine," he added, in the letter dated June 26 and obtained by Reuters.

"It was made very clear to me that it was considered a 'mandatory' condition from the powers-that-be that Cosworth was the engine supplier," he said.

"During the selection week, I had people on the phone telling me the three teams that would be selected. I did not believe this but on Friday when it happened I was dumbfounded."

The FIA said on June 12 it had received applications from 15 potential new teams and all had undergone a stringent due diligence process.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^^ if the above is true, then the FIA is screwed
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N.Technology takes FIA to court
By Jonathan Noble
Sunday, July 12th 2009, 11:58 GMT

The Italian MSC organisation, parent company of the N.Technology team, is taking the FIA to court in Paris over the new Formula 1 team selection process for 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The N.Technology outfit had hoped to make it onto the grid next season but it withdrew its application in June after what it felt were 'irregularities' and uncertainties about the 2010 championship.

Those frustrations have now resulted in MSC applying to the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris last week for a legal hearing into the selection process for new teams. The team told AUTOSPORT that the judge accepted it had a valid case for a hearing, and the matter will now be heard on September 15.

MSC board member Angelo Codignoni, who is a former CEO of Eurosport, told AUTOSPORT: "We are doing this in the name of sport. From our point of view, the procedure for dealing with new entrants was not respected and there was not transparency about the process and preparations for the 2010 championship."

The MSC action follows claims that some of the rejected teams were unhappy about being told they needed to run Cosworth engines if their entry was going to be accepted.

AUTOSPORT understands that FOTA has also asked the FIA to clarify the team selection process, although team figures were keen not to get drawn into the controversy over the Nurburgring weekend.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "FOTA clearly doesn't have a vote on the selection process, so consequently it is not right to have a voice on it.

"We were not involved in the selection process. I think FOTA's position is that we are very happy to see new teams. It is healthy to see new teams in F1, and if FOTA can assist any team to make a successful start in F1 then we should be doing so."